View Full Version : Dell aftermath

Rirath
12-09-2002, 11:09 AM
I'm probably going to get slapped for saying this, but this is getting rather annoying. Before the Dell launch, there was quite the exciting amount of chatter about the Dells and what's to come. Spec rumors, debates about possible issues, etc. Now all I'm seeing is nitpicking and it seems like every single day there's a new post from someone either getting a Dell, or just got a Dell, asking the same questions as the guy before him. I love the Dells mass market appeal... but... dang. :? News seems to have slowed to a dead stop. Guess the fun is over for now. Ah well.

FredMurphy
12-09-2002, 12:03 PM
We can always do more speculation on the exact spec of the Toshiba E750..... Surprised there's been no more info since we first heard about it. :?

Janak Parekh
12-09-2002, 04:50 PM
Now all I'm seeing is nitpicking and it seems like every single day there's a new post from someone either getting a Dell, or just got a Dell, asking the same questions as the guy before him.
Such is the life of blogs. Excitement before the launch, nitpicking after. This happens with every product.

The e750 is unlikely to be anywhere as cheap, so I think it'll generate less buzz... but we'll see as the product nears market. :)

--bdj

Kati Compton
12-09-2002, 08:02 PM
I'm very happy with the Axim. But I also don't think it's perfect. I would make the same choice given the chance to do it over. When people ask what the "issues" are, though, I'm going to tell them.

Part of the listing of "less-than-optimal 'features'" is also an attempt to see if it's the same with all the units, in which case I probably just say "oh well", or if it's just mine, in which case I call up Dell and have them send me a replacement with their cool replacement service.

The other part is that people get so worked up about new toys that they're usually either very disappointed when it's not absolutely perfect or still so caught up in it that they convince themselves it's perfect when it isn't.

Sslixtis
12-09-2002, 08:08 PM
I agree with you guys 100%, the nitpicking is driving me nuts...so...

If the e750 actually has the specs that it is rumoured to have then all I would need for it to be my Uber device would be built in Cell capabilities!!
I must say with the specs it is reportedly going to sport I'll shell out the extra bucks :wink: While the high-end HP is rather lavishly decked out it really doesn't have the specs I'm looking for like the supposed e750 :lol:

400Mhz Xscale
128Mb RAM
48Mb ROM
4" Transflective Screen
Dual Slots
Removable Battery
Built-in 802.11b
Drool... :multi: I want it now, I want it now :multi:

Cheers! :way to go:

Sslixtis
12-09-2002, 08:15 PM
It's not so much what's being said; I agree alot of it is seeing if everyone is having these issues or heck even if something is an issue. The ones that are killing me are the ones that are obviously out to trash the device no matter what and the ones that post the same questions that have been answered 100 times already! Just look before you post, please. I try to help as much as possible, but how many times can I say things wtihout getting tired of it :(

Oh yeah, Kati you have some really good ears! I'm not sure if my Axim makes that noise near the CF slot or not, I can't hear it but that may just be my old tired ears! I'll have someone listen at work for me :lol:

Cheers!

enemy2k2
12-09-2002, 09:01 PM
I'm probably going to get slapped for saying this, but this is getting rather annoying. Before the Dell launch, there was quite the exciting amount of chatter about the Dells and what's to come. Spec rumors, debates about possible issues, etc. Now all I'm seeing is nitpicking and it seems like every single day there's a new post from someone either getting a Dell, or just got a Dell, asking the same questions as the guy before him. I love the Dells mass market appeal... but... dang. :? News seems to have slowed to a dead stop. Guess the fun is over for now. Ah well.

I agree with you, but it's just human nature. Familiarity breeds contempt. I still haven't received mine yet, and yes all I hear is nitpicking. I've not yet seen one halfway decent review of the unit. Pathetic.

Xyress
12-09-2002, 10:38 PM
Odd that there haven't been any decent reviews. The best we can hope for are enthusiasts' mini-reviews on message boards at this point.

Well, hopefully I'll have mine within a week at the most and then I won't be needing a 3rd party opinion.

Roosterman
12-10-2002, 04:24 AM
I would agree that the excitement has died :( . Probably a natural reaction to receiving what you have long anticipated. I would love to give an in depth review for you, but I am a new ppc owner that had a handspring for 8 months prior. I don't know much of what you would be looking for and I don't play games. I will use it for business and personal things and some web surfing. What I do know is this is a slick unit for what I want and I am sure I will uncover many new and exciting features as time goes on. One feature that I did learn about today is the on button has another talent besides telling you when it needs charging or is charged. This morningbefore I turned it on, I noticed that the on button was flashing green. When I turned it on there was a notice about something I had scheduled. How cool is that, you don't even need to have it turned on and it is still telling you something :D .

For those that don't have theirs yet, I hope it comes soon. I truely think you will enjoy it if you keep things in perspective. For the price, I haven't seen anything on the market that can match it. It is a great little (some may dispute that term, not me though) unit that has impressed everyone that I have shown it to.

Rirath
12-10-2002, 06:37 AM
Glad to see I'm not alone on this one, thanks all. Enemy2k2, Xyress, what exactly are you looking for in a review? The reader reviews so far have covered pretty much all the bases, there's not much left to say. Official reviews are unfortunately always sorely lacking. Is there something in particular you still want to know?

Closest thing I can offer you to a reader review is this post (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5226&start=22) and this rant (http://www.rirath.com/Html/Rants-hardware.php?nr=1) from my website. Keep in mind the rants are not suppose to be reviews and I'm not trying to pass them off as such. Just some blurbs about stuff.