View Full Version : Help with odd ActiveSync problem?

yvilla
12-09-2002, 02:57 AM
I can sync through the cradle without difficulty, and can access the internet with my CF wireless card without a hitch too.

But, for the life of me I cannot sync wirelessly, which is what I really want to do. But my problem seems to be really strange, because in the first place I can't even find/access ActiveSync on my e550G, which the instructions for remote syncing has as the first step.

(The instructions are: In ActiveSync on the device, tap Tools > Options > PC tab, and then, select "Include PC when synchronizing remotely" and then, specify your computer name. Then, you're supposed to connect, and begin synchronization on your device.)

I can't follow these instructions if I have no access to ActiveSync on my device! There's no ActiveSync in my Start Menu, or in Start > Programs, or Settings. I've explored endlessly looking for it, and even looked through every key in my registry to try to get a clue. I've found "repllog.exe" in my Windows directory, which seems to be the Activesync executable, but when I run that it seems to try to connect but then quickly disappears, and does not stay open, as I hoped, to give me access to the "Tools" menu or the buttons to try to connect.

I have no idea when or why I "lost" access to ActiveSync like this, or if some program I installed caused this, but I am going nuts. Can someone please help me out here? Is there some other executable somewhere on my device that I've missed and could run, if only I knew its name? I would really rather not do a hard reset and have to start from scratch if I could possibly avoid that. (I have sooo many programs installed that it would be a horrendous job).

yvilla
12-13-2002, 04:58 PM
No one has even a hint of an answer for me?

Okay, I'll make the question shorter (maybe it'll help me get an answer?):

Does anyone know the name of the file that is the executable for ActiveSync in Pocket PC 2002? (The one that gets you to the "Tools"/"Options" menu on the device itself)???

flipflop
12-14-2002, 09:42 AM
If you already tied uninstalling/reinstalling AS, check AS FAQs at www.cewindows.net , Google Groups and MS Knowledge Base. Still not working, you will probably need to do a hard reset. I suppose the big problem is how to back up the PIM databases and the rest if you cannot sync with a desktop. How aoout IR to beam database files to your desktop?

yvilla
12-14-2002, 04:58 PM
Thanks for replying flipflop. I have read cewindows.net, etc. Tried posting at the microsoft ActiveSync newsgroup too, with no response.

Since I can sync with the cradle this is not a critical issue, but rather one of those crazy-making ones! I really don't get how ActiveSync could just "disappear" from my Toshiba like that.

Since ActiveSync on the Pocket PC is in rom (I'm pretty sure), uninstalling/installing on the desktop doesn't touch the problem. But, its being in rom is the only reason I think a hard reset will solve this evventually, if I have to go that route.

Somebody has to know the name of the Activesync executable in rom! I really want to know that before I give up and do the hard reset.