View Full Version : CF to PCMCIA

Zuph
12-08-2002, 11:12 PM
I have found several CF to PCMCIA adapters on the internet, as well as many the other way. It seems that they use, more or less, the same stuff. I haven't found any reviews for any of these adapters, though, and I would be willing to use one, just for the added storage that would be allowed by a PCMCIA storage solution. I can't really merit spending money on a laptop when a PocketPC does the same things I would use it for. I was wondering if these adapters really do work, How well they work, and what would be the best one? I know some of the compaqs have PCMCIA sleeves, but for those of us that don't have one of those Handhelds, what are our options? Thanks!

Sven Johannsen
12-09-2002, 01:05 AM
I believe there are a few issues with some cards that require 5v rather than the 3.3 that is available on the CF slot, which is why you may see a CF to PCCard adapter with a place to add an external supply. For the most part though they work, given that there are PPC drivers. They are however, IMHO, extremely klunky/kludgy. You either wind up with a solar sail sticking out of the top of your sleek PPC or have a floppy interface that you have to glue, double-stick, or velcro to the back.

If you have a CF slot, I expet you have a Type II slot. (If you don't you have a Jornada, and if you have a 560 series, buy the PCCard adapter). I digress. There just isn't a whole lot that can get in a PCMCIA card that you can't get in a CF format. And the only thing that even requires a Type II is a microdrive. I realize you are looking for more storage, and big CF storage (Flash or Microdrive) is more $$ than a big PCMCIA drive, but I'd advise against saddling yourself with a kludge. Maybe get several CF cards and swap them out based on what you are wanting to do.

Zuph
12-09-2002, 01:10 AM
My big thing here is $$$. I'm not the richest fellow, and PCMCIA storage is a lot cheaper in most instances than CF. A difference of $50-$100 is more than enough to sway me from one option as opposed to another, unless one has severe limitations over the other. Size, in most cases, isn't too much of an issue. I'm willing to trade size for $$$.

Anthony Caruana
12-09-2002, 02:46 AM
Hi

I've been using a CF to PC Card converter I bought from Semson Inc. It works really well for me. I use it with a Compaq WiFi card without any problems in both an iPaq 3850 and Jornada 548.

Here's a picture of the one I have

http://store.yahoo.com/semsons-inc/comflastopcc.html

Good luck

Zuph
12-09-2002, 02:53 AM
I saw that, but it says it doesn't work with all devices because of the power drain...which worries me...

tnantz
12-10-2002, 09:20 PM
A friend of mine that's a computer science major has an iPaq (courtesy of the school - academic computing, BAH!) and he has a CF to PCMCIA adapter on it. He says it significantly reduces battery life on the machine. PCMCIA cards, from what I understand, do typically take more power.

But, like someone said earlier, some folks are willing to trade a little in the name of saving some cash. Its up to the individual. I'd be interested in it, because I'd be able to use the PCMCIA WiFi card from my laptop to access the web on my PDA. Keeps me from buying another card. But the question I have with that is that if some of these adapters are compatable with the Axims...