View Full Version : Video Codec Tests!

gateway
12-08-2002, 12:20 AM
I spent some time this weekend doing some tests with various video codec’s from divx, vp3 and windows media. There has been some discussion about why people use mpeg1 instead of other newer available codes, this should give you a good idea of quality and sizes of clips.

We used the Age of Mythology Trailer from the DVD they sent us to run some tests, results may vary most of our tests ran on the ipaq 3955 which as most of you know runs the xscale cpu which at some times is slower than older ARM ones. This issue still miffs me off.. Anyhow check it out and I would like some feedback on this issue as well.

the link is HERE (http://syncalot.com/videotest/)

Gateway

Rirath
12-08-2002, 01:09 AM
The effort is appreciated, but... what exactly is the point? No frame rates, no exact benchmarks... just 3 general statements. What am I missing here? Also, I was under the impression Pocket Divx had some Xscale optimized code.

By the way, if you run the site you may want to fix the typos on the main page... "delivered from the Internet to your Pocket PC or Palm Pilot device every day and surfer at your own convience" (convenience, served? / surfed? also inconvenience)

gateway
12-08-2002, 01:30 AM
Heheh, yea, damn spell checker, anyhow, we posted that link in order to start getting some feedback from users and what kinda data they get, with this info we will be posting updates to this area, Most of our tests resulted in quality frame rates, but its intresting to see what works better for various people and devices.

so if you do have specs or data let us know and we would be happy to post this.

thanks for the spelling stuff :)

Gateway

Rirath
12-08-2002, 02:01 AM
Ah. Sorry, I thought that was the results. ^_^ I'm as lame at spelling as anyone... but I just happened to notice so I'd thought I'd pass it along. Doesn't hurt to sorta put the best face forward and such. Anyway...

I'm using the 400mhz Axim. I don't have the codec player for the second type, but I'll look into it. Divx didn't drop a single frame, but the artifacts were indeed severe. Honestly, I think a little encoding tweaking could clear that up but I can't say for sure. (I've never noticed a video with that many artifacts in Pocket Divx before) Media player gets rather impressive results in standard skin mode, but in landscape it was far too skippy for my tastes. Perhaps try Pocket TV. Enterprise usually gets a good 4 fps higher than classic... but that's a good $50. The best bet short term may be be Pocket Divx with a different encoding perhaps. Bitrate, size, frames, audio quality, etc.

Pony99CA
12-08-2002, 06:38 AM
By the way, if you run the site you may want to fix the typos on the main page... "delivered from the Internet to your Pocket PC or Palm Pilot device every day and surfer at your own convience" (convenience, served? / surfed? also inconvenience)

Ummm, why not report these via the contact link on their home page? If you click that link, you'll see an E-mail link to [email protected], and you could send your corrections there. Why post them here? Would you want any typos you might have on your Web site posted here or E-mailed to you directly?

Steve

Rirath
12-08-2002, 07:11 AM
Ummm, why not report these via the contact link on their home page? If you click that link, you'll see an E-mail link to [email protected], and you could send your corrections there. Why post them here? Would you want any typos you might have on your Web site posted here or E-mailed to you directly?

Well, if you must know, because I knew he'd actually be reading this. Webmaster emails are often bounced off into digital oblivion or so stuffed they're ignored. I simply tossed it in as a thought, lighten up. And no, I would not mind typos posted here. Take your best crack at it, you're sure to find a few I've missed over the years. "It is a poor mind that can only imagine one way to spell a word." :wink:

gateway
12-08-2002, 11:40 PM
Heheh, no big deal,

what version of pocket divx are you using? i think the latest is the .8l, also the vp3 codec only works with arm cpus, and xscale sets. Its quite impressive actually, I could also reduce the size by using ogg audio instead of mp3, but its not that much of a big deal to me.

The divx version plays fine on my device, i have cache size set to like 2-3 megs in the settings area.

Its odd to see such differences in what users report, but its all good feedback it will help us come up with a good method of bringing quality video to the masses down the road.

Gateway