View Full Version : Help with setting up my linksys WAP11 with my Ipaq

DavidRoss
12-07-2002, 07:13 PM
hello,

Ok heres what i have:
Ipaq 3635 with pocketpc 2002 upgrade. linksys WCF11 compact Flash Wireless lan card. im using Prism's drivers because i have heard they are better. AND i cant install the linksys ones because it says invalid setup file. (i have tried hard reset even, and still get this problem) linksys WAP11 v. 2.2 wireless access point. and a Linksys 4 port Router v. 2. On the "network" i have a windows XP computer, an Xbox, and this wireless access point.

Heres the problem:

So everything is working fine with my WAP11 and Ipaq... till i move, and set everything up again... then it worked once right when i set it up, then stopped working, so a few weeks later i rearranged everything, set everything back up, and it worked once again, the next day it stopped working all together. And this is where I am now.

I plug in my WCF card and it picks up the WAP11. Im getting good signal strength. But its like its not connected at all. I cant serf the web… I cant connect to my Computer with terminal service. And I cant even sync my Avantgo channels though the setting menu. (which seems to work, even when nothing else does. But not this time I get a “server not found, or DNS error message)

So what I think the problem is, is between the Router and the WAP. Somehow they are not communicating. My WAP is set to a static IP address of 192.168.1.251, and I have DHCP enabled on the Router. When I log into the router and go to the “DHCP Active IP Table” it says that the WAP is assigned an IP of 192.168.1.101… so that does not seem to make any since.

So anyone have any suggestions… of course I have reset and unplugged both the router and the WAP many times. Or is the problem with the Drivers on the Ipaq? I have also tried setting the IP address on the Ipaq to the same as the router 192.168.1.251 by going into settings/connections/network adapters, but this did not seem to help either. Oh and I have updated the firmware of all the components. (other then the WCF11 because as I said the drivers wont install.)

Roosterman
12-08-2002, 04:57 AM
Sounds like you have tried most everything. The only thing that came to mind was when you said you have reset the router and ppc many times. After each time, did you make sure the SSID and channel match? Also, what about the encryption, do they match too?

Steven Cedrone
12-08-2002, 05:24 AM
A couple of things to look at:

On the router - make sure the static IP address of the WAP is not in the DHCP range...

The WAP is set with a static IP address - make sure DHCP is not enabled...

Another thing you can try: Disable DHCP. Assign everything a static IP address and subnet mask. See if things work that way...

Just some things to look at, let us know how you make out...

Steve

DavidRoss
12-08-2002, 01:56 PM
How do i set everything to have a static IP address? i know how to do it on the WAP, but how do i do it for the Xbox, and the computer... and is the subset mask alsways the same? 255.255.255.0. also, does it matter what i set the IP to?

And finaly... in my options on the Ipaq to set the IP address... do i set it to the same thing as the WAP? or is it a Diffrent IP address?

And i have made sure the sidds was always reset to the same thing.

Steven Cedrone
12-08-2002, 03:03 PM
All need to have a unique IP address (in the 192.168.0.XXX range). All should have the same subnet mask (255.255.255.0), default gateway and DNS servers...

Before changing anything: Decide the IP addresses you will assign everything. Log onto your router - it should be getting the IP address, subnet mask, and DNS servers from yur ISP. You need the DNS server addresses - write them down. The local IP address of your router (usually 192.168.0.1) will be the gateway address for all machines on your network as well...

On the computer: Right click on "My Network Places", properties, right click on "Local Area Connection", properties, click on "Internet Protocol(TCP/IP)", click on properties...

Set: IP address, subnet, default gateway and DNS servers...

On the XBox: Place the Xbox Live enabled disc in your Xbox.
Go to the Network Set-Up link, Go to the IP Addresses link, Set the IP addresses, Make sure that you are placing the right subnet mask value in this field, If you type in a wrong subnet mask, Click on the DNS servers link, set DNS servers, Click on the PPPoE settings link. Set configuration to OFF, Click Connect and go to Connect Status page. There should be 4 status bullets: Cables Connected, IP Settings Configured, DNS Resolved and Connected to Xbox Live...

Easy huh??? :wink:

Make sure you write everything down for the configuration of each machine before you change anything. This way, you can always go back to your old config...

If you have any questions, ask them before you make your changes - If this gets messed up, you may not be able to ask later...

Example:
Start out small: Leave the PC, XBox and router alone (shut down the PC and XBox), assign an IP address to the WAP (say: 192.168.0.50) that is outside of the range of DHCP assigned addresses from the router (it will be set to: 192.168.0.100 - 199), also set Subnet, Default gateway and DNS. Assign a unique address to the Pocket PC that is different from the WAP and still out of the range of DHCP assigned addresses (say: 192.168.0.51), also set Subnet, Default gateway and DNS. See if you can get things working. If you can, then go and change your PC (192.168.0.52) and XBox settings (192.168.0.53)...

Of course, if you are not comfortable doing any of this: pretend I never sent this reply... :wink:

Steve

If something is still not clear: keep asking questions before changing anything. Remember, if this gets messed up, you may not be able to ask questions later...

DavidRoss
12-09-2002, 12:51 AM
Thank you very much, you have given me a very compleat walk though of what to do. Now i just need to find the time to do it all ;) Ill get back to you in a few days, and if you never hear from me again... :) well lets just hope that does not happen.

Sven Johannsen
12-09-2002, 01:09 AM
If we never hear from him again it probably means he got the XBox working and got distracted :)