View Full Version : Problem connecting V35

rabidcat
12-07-2002, 04:03 AM
Hey everyone,

First off, I'll admit to being a newbie when it comes to PPC's. I've been following this site for some weeks now, and finally decided to get the V35 (it was a tossup between that and the ipaq 1910). BTW, thank you everyone, your posts have been very helpful. :)

Well the V35 arrived yesterday. While I very much like the unit, it has a problem being recognized by Windows XP Pro. I can't synchronize via activesync or even install the drivers. I called viewsonic tech support, and they were very polite and helpful (at 11pm EST, no less). They said no one else had reported this problem, but THEY had it when they did a test on their own machines. I don't know if it's an XP issue or what, but I spoke to them twice today and they're still trying to figure things out.

So right now I'm biding my time and taking care not to lose my receipt. :wink: Anyway, that's it. I hope no one else has the same trouble.

shawnc
12-07-2002, 05:13 AM
rabidcat,

Congrats on joining the PPC world. This site is a great resource for "newbies". I can't answer your question but was wondering if you would answer two of mine (I think many PPC Thoughts readers will be interested as well).

Did you get your order from Amazon and if so, when did you place the order.

Thanx

EndlessNameless
12-07-2002, 08:46 AM
I had a similar problem with my v35. I had a be300 previously using activesync, so I uninstalled it and it still game me a problem. I uninstalled it again, then reset my computer and then I plugged the cradle into my usb port. It took me a little time and a lot of swearing, but I eventually got it working. Ive never had that much of a hassle with activesync. Just follow the directions in the manual to a T.

Hope this helps.

My initial impressions of it have been great. It sounds like boxter was the unfortunate one that received a dead pixel :( Has it been giving you any problems?

rabidcat
12-07-2002, 05:25 PM
shawnc, I placed my order with Amazon on November 22nd, it shipped on December 1st and I received it on the 5th.

EndlessNameless, my problem doesn't seem to be with activesync, wich installed fine. When I plug the V35 into the USB port, Windows detects it as an "unknown device." When I attempt to install the drivers manually, I get a prompt that "these files are not better than those already installed for your device."

I have an external SD memory drive, so at least I can transfer files until the connection problem is solved (fortunately, I don't need to rely on a ppc for work or anything). I'm loving the viewsonic so far and would hate to be forced to return it.

EndlessNameless
12-08-2002, 03:33 AM
rabidcat-

Don't install the drivers manually. Pop in the cd that came with the v35 then plug the cradle into the usb port. Then choose automatically detect drivers. I think those are the steps.

rabidcat
12-08-2002, 04:39 AM
rabidcat-

Don't install the drivers manually. Pop in the cd that came with the v35 then plug the cradle into the usb port. Then choose automatically detect drivers. I think those are the steps.

Windows won't even bring up the new hardware screen, as it detects the V35 as an unknown device. Hence the need to try manually. :(

jeasher
12-10-2002, 07:30 AM
I too am having a problem with XP Pro, and after spending over a combined hour with tech support, they are totally stumped. They found a fix for other machines but they don't seem to be working with my Dell laptop. They are going to get back to me at the end of the week. I thought I was done shopping but I may have to make a change. If I have to get the ipaq 1910 it won't be the end of the world.

rabidcat
12-10-2002, 02:55 PM
I too am having a problem with XP Pro, and after spending over a combined hour with tech support, they are totally stumped. They found a fix for other machines but they don't seem to be working with my Dell laptop. They are going to get back to me at the end of the week. I thought I was done shopping but I may have to make a change. If I have to get the ipaq 1910 it won't be the end of the world.

I have spent a combined 6 or 7 hours with tech support, to no avail. Yesterday I tried the V35 with two other systems (one XP Pro, one Win98) and it failed to connect with both. I am calling Viewsonic today and asking them to send out a replacement unit, as it's obvious this one is somehow defective. If the replacement doesn't work either, well, I'll have to go back to square one: debating between the Axim or the 1910.

jeasher
12-10-2002, 03:19 PM
Rabid-

When do you get your replacement unit? Let us know...

Kirkaiya
12-10-2002, 04:35 PM
I wonder...

On my laptop, which is running Win 2000 Pro, when I first plugged in my V35 yesterday, it gave me the "Unknown USB device" message.

I put the CD that came with the V35 into the drive, and when Windows prompts you to "Search for a suitable driver", and you get the little checkboxes for searching "CD-ROM", "Windows Update", "Other location", and the last one (can't remember what it says), I left CD-ROM and the last one (which was already checked) checked, and told it to look.

After like 3 minutes, it finally said it found a driver called wceusbsh.inf, which I told it to use.

After it was finished installing that, ActiveSync couldn't connect, so I unplugged the USB connector, and plugged it back in - and then it connected fine, and starting syncing. I haven't had any unusual (read: other than usual ActiveSync flakiness) problems since, and I've played with this for probably 4 hours already... lol

So - do a search in your windows folder for wceusbsh* and see if you find it. If so, you manually specifiy that as the driver .inf file. You can also try double-clicking wceusbsh.inf (open it in notepad), and look at the actual .sys file it installs - also you can add "Viewsonic" to the list of manufacturers (Mine had Compaq, HP, Toshiba, Casio, Sagem, and others.. i just added the line %Viewsonic% = Viewsonic to the list - if you look in the file, you'll see what I mean).

I didn't add that until just now, so I don't think it's actually necessary, but it might help WinXP match the file with the device.

I hope this is helpful to somebody.

rabidcat
12-10-2002, 07:20 PM
I wonder... [etc...]

Thanks for the advice, I won't be able to try it tho, as I've already shipped off my V35 to Amazon for a refund (Viewsonic could not ship me a replacement as they have no stock). Btw, Viewsonic tech support recommended a similar procedure but it didn't work. That, and trying the V35 on a Win98 machine (for which there have been no reported difficulties) led me to the conclusion the unit/cradle was somehow defective.

So we'll see. If I find the V35 at CompUSA before now and whenever it's available for online order, I may pick it up and try again. Otherwise, I'm seriously considering the 1910 (very much liked the size of the V35 and can't imagine going for the Dell).

Decisions..decisions...

Tripz
03-14-2003, 05:58 AM
SUX, I too am having connection problems. problems on XP and windows 98. Sometimes it will connect (and then drop out connection whenever it feels like). Once the connection is dropped, goodluck trying to get it to connect again. the last resort is re-starting the desktop computer and sometimes that'll work. went through 2 v35's and still the same problem. And, just for the record...i've seen a few V35's out there all with dead pixels.

can't figure out this connection problem...