View Full Version : Camera for the XDA.

Monty Gibson
12-06-2002, 09:08 PM
Here's my idea for a camera since the XDA does not currently supports an SDIO slot. I bought this camera:

http://www.aiptek.com/products/digital/sd.htm

and hope to receive it in about a week. The only drawback is that it only supports up to 128mb of memory. So, if you have a 256 or greater card, it won't work. I don't know why, I haven't asked. Anyway, the images are about as impressive as my old Jornada camera I used to have it would seem, but this one captures video as well. We shall see, interesting.

Take care,
Monty Gibson

Miken
12-09-2002, 11:38 AM
The following is my O2 Xda and my forefinger pen.It is a pity that I have sold it.I use treo180g now.
I want to know its capability about the camera.

http://www.91pda.com/liyejun/shape.jpg

Monty Gibson
12-09-2002, 02:20 PM
The following is my O2 Xda and my forefinger pen.It is a pity that I have sold it.I use treo180g now.
I want to know its capability about the camera.

Will let you know just as soon as it gets here!

Thanks,
Monty Gibson

gareth
12-11-2002, 12:49 PM
On the subject of cameras, here's one for all the experts out there.

I recently bought a dirt-cheap, v. basic digital camera, more for a laugh than anything else, but I'm now thinking that I could link it to my XDA.

http://www.gizmos-uk.com/LespionG.htm

It comes with a USB cable.

If I could find a way of linking this directly to the XDA, does anyone know if I will be able to explore the camera directly and save the pictures I've taken?

Janak Parekh
12-11-2002, 05:26 PM
Also, consider the Casio Exilim.

www.casio.com/exilim

Smallest 2 megapixel camera out there. It's less than a half-inch thick; in fact, it seems to take up less cubic space than that PenCam. I just bought one, and love it. The best thing is that it uses SD cards (and supports > 128MB), so I can exchange it with an iPaq or PPC. It also has very good battery life and writes to SD cards very, very fast.

You give up two things: picture quality (it's decent, but not a Powershot); and optical zoom (they couldn't fit a zooming lens in there). Oh, and it's a bit more expensive :(

--bdj

Monty Gibson
12-11-2002, 05:27 PM
On the subject of cameras, here's one for all the experts out there.

I recently bought a dirt-cheap, v. basic digital camera, more for a laugh than anything else, but I'm now thinking that I could link it to my XDA.

http://www.gizmos-uk.com/LespionG.htm

It comes with a USB cable.

If I could find a way of linking this directly to the XDA, does anyone know if I will be able to explore the camera directly and save the pictures I've taken?

The only way for you to actually see the photographs that you take "on the go" is by having either an MMC (MultiMedia Card) or an SD (Secure Digital) card and then swap the cards in and out. The camera has to use this format for storing its media; if it does not, then you will have to wait until you get home and manually move the photographs from the camera to your pocket pc and view them that way. The website stated this about your camera "The internal memory holds up to 80 photographs..." which leads me to believe that you can't actually take pictures and then put them directly onto your pocket pc while "on the go." That's why I was looking for a camera with an SD or an MMC card formatted camera. It was cheap $60+ U.S. dollars. I haven't received it yet :evil: probably due to the Christmas rush, but I can't wait to get it.

Take care,
Monty Gibson

Monty Gibson
12-11-2002, 05:51 PM
Also, consider the Casio Exilim.

www.casio.com/exilim

Smallest 2 megapixel camera out there. It's less than a half-inch thick; in fact, it seems to take up less cubic space than that PenCam. I just bought one, and love it. The best thing is that it uses SD cards (and supports > 128MB), so I can exchange it with an iPaq or PPC. It also has very good battery life and writes to SD cards very, very fast.

You give up two things: picture quality (it's decent, but not a Powershot); and optical zoom (they couldn't fit a zooming lens in there). Oh, and it's a bit more expensive :(

--bdj

I just found the cheapest price on Yahoo! to be at $266+ U.S. dollars. How much of a difference would 1.3 megapixels be over 2 megapixels? Is it worth $200.00 more? It has a flash (cool), uses SD cards (a must) and supports greater than 128MB (yoohoo!). Pricegrabber didn't even come close to $266.00. Did you find it somewhere cheaper? Can you upload some pics?

Thanks!
Monty Gibson

gareth
12-11-2002, 05:58 PM
The only way for you to actually see the photographs that you take "on the go" is by having either an MMC (MultiMedia Card) or an SD (Secure Digital) card and then swap the cards in and out. The camera has to use this format for storing its media; if it does not, then you will have to wait until you get home and manually move the photographs from the camera to your pocket pc and view them that way.

What about using the "Browse" function in Image Viewer?

Do you think it would be possible to see the camera as a "folder"?

I appear to be struggling to use this quote thing properly!
:oops:

Monty Gibson
12-11-2002, 06:05 PM
The only way for you to actually see the photographs that you take "on the go" is by having either an MMC (MultiMedia Card) or an SD (Secure Digital) card and then swap the cards in and out. The camera has to use this format for storing its media; if it does not, then you will have to wait until you get home and manually move the photographs from the camera to your pocket pc and view them that way.

What about using the "Browse" function in Image Viewer?

Do you think it would be possible to see the camera as a "folder"?

I appear to be struggling to use this quote thing properly!
:oops:

No, I think that you're quoting fine but that big picture is throwing it off. I was "corrected" the other day on how to "quote." Don't worry about it. You're here to get information; not proper "quoting" skills or literacy skills. Anyway, how is the camera actually going to "connect" to your XDA? Via a USB cable while the camera is attached to your computer and while the XDA is in the cradle... correct? If so, then you could just move the files to your XDA if you wanted to. ActiveSync does let you move around and "explore" different areas of your computer and yes ActiveSync will see the camera's folder where it stores the photographs in this case. However, again, unless you have an MMC or an SD card you can't take photographs outside while in your car (or wherever you are)and then see them instantaneously on your PPC. You'll have to wait to get home to do this.

Take care,
Monty Gibson

gareth
12-12-2002, 10:59 AM
Looks like the cheap and cheerful option wasn't such a bargain after all!

I was hoping that I could rig some sort of direct cable connection from the camera to the XDA, as I have a cousin who could probably create the necessary cabling for me, but if I still can't get the XDA to see the camera, then there's not much I can do!

Back to the drawing board, I suppose!

Monty Gibson
12-12-2002, 11:04 AM
Looks like the cheap and cheerful option wasn't such a bargain after all!

I was hoping that I could rig some sort of direct cable connection from the camera to the XDA, as I have a cousin who could probably create the necessary cabling for me, but if I still can't get the XDA to see the camera, then there's not much I can do!

Back to the drawing board, I suppose!

Sorry dude, I wish that I had more information for you. Have you considered buying a cheap PenCam for $60+ U.S. dollars or that other camera the other gentleman posted about? I actually purchased the one he recommended yesterday too :wink:. I figured, what the hell, what could it hurt to have two? I'll keep the one I like the best, that has the smallest size and takes the best picture for the dollar amount. I like the idea of a flash, that really intrigues me; also having a greater MB load other than 128. Anyway, take care.

Monty Gibson

gareth
12-12-2002, 11:58 AM
I'm trying to find somewhere in the Uk which can sell me the Pencam at a reasonable price.

Do I have to buy the SD card as well? (I don't even know what one of those is)

The l'espion I have only cost me £30 ($47.37) so I'm looking for a real bargain!

I guess I should update my profile so people know where I am! :?

Monty Gibson
12-12-2002, 05:52 PM
I'm trying to find somewhere in the Uk which can sell me the Pencam at a reasonable price.

Do I have to buy the SD card as well? (I don't even know what one of those is)

The l'espion I have only cost me £30 ($47.37) so I'm looking for a real bargain!

I guess I should update my profile so people know where I am! :?

I think most "online stores" will ship overseas, but again, you're going to pay a higher price :(. Here are the cameras that have been mentioned and hopefully you can locate them over in the U.K.:

(Using my new found "quoting" skills)

1.) http://www.aiptek.com/products/digital/sd.htm
2.) http://www.casio.com/exilim

SD Cards (Secure Digital Cards) are similar to floppy discs to a computer. You put them in, store information on them and can be removed and inserted into other devices that have the same "slot." The same for MMC (Multi Media Cards) except the MMC cards are tiny (about the size of a stamp). SD cards I have seen in the 500MB range with rumors of 1Gigabyte here soon. MMC cards I believe are only up to 128MB; but I'm not for sure. Anyway, yes, you'll have to purchase an SD card for your camera but it can be used as regular storage for your pocket pc as well, so you're really doing well by buying an SD card anyway since the PPCPE (T-mobile/XDA) has only 32MB of RAM on board. I have a 256MB SD card and plan to buy another 128 or 256 MB card depending on which camera I like the best out of the two above. The first camera (#1) can only support a 128MB SD card, while the second camera (#2) can support 256MB I've been told. But again, you can store MP3's, Photographs, Videos, eBooks, Data, etc. on these little cards.

Here's what an SD card looks like; it's 128MB (megabytes) and is $49.95 U.S. Dollars (CHEAP 8O):
http://www.mobileplanet.com/assets/product_images/MP853534.gif

Source:http://www.mobileplanet.com/product.asp?dept_id=1446&pf_id=MP853534&src=IMPRG

Here's what an MMC card looks like; it's 128MB and is $69.95 U.S. Dollars and you're only paying for the size:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/images/products/large/A0050602.jpg

Source:http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?sku=A0050602&cs=19&c=us&l=en

Hope this helps,
Monty Gibson

gareth
12-12-2002, 06:02 PM
Thanks for all the help - being a newbie sucks! :cry:

I've decided to go with the one I currently have and do things the USB way at the moment.

If i get a lot of use out of it (and at the moment, I hardly ever use a camera) then I'll consider investing in one of the other cameras mentioned.

The Exilim retails at nearly £300, from what I've seen on the high street, so it may take me a while to get one, but I'm the kind of person who likes to "try before I buy", and I don't tend to buy products online.

And as for the SD card, I think you're right - a good investment. Once I've been exposed to the joys and pains of Pocket PC for a while, and used up the massive amount of memory I have available :roll: then I'll get one. Call it a couple of days?

Good luck with the photography folks!

:werenotworthy:

Janak Parekh
12-12-2002, 09:34 PM
I just found the cheapest price on Yahoo! to be at $266+ U.S. dollars. How much of a difference would 1.3 megapixels be over 2 megapixels? Is it worth $200.00 more? It has a flash (cool), uses SD cards (a must) and supports greater than 128MB (yoohoo!). Pricegrabber didn't even come close to $266.00. Did you find it somewhere cheaper? Can you upload some pics?
Actually, there is (was) a 1.3 megapixel Exilim - the EX-S1 (as opposed to the EX-S2) :) Look at it this way - 1.3 megapixel gives you 1280x1024 shots, while 2 megapixel gives you 1600x1200 shots. There is one advantage to a 1280x1024 CCD - in general it needs less exposure time.

I'll try and upload some shots in a few days, but I need to filter stuff out as to what I'd want the "trusting public" to see. ;) Do a google search on EX-S2 in the meantime, there are a couple reviews. Also look in the dpreview.com forums - Casio section.

--bdj

Monty Gibson
12-12-2002, 11:50 PM
Actually, there is (was) a 1.3 megapixel Exilim - the EX-S1 (as opposed to the EX-S2) :) Look at it this way - 1.3 megapixel gives you 1280x1024 shots, while 2 megapixel gives you 1600x1200 shots. There is one advantage to a 1280x1024 CCD - in general it needs less exposure time.

I'll try and upload some shots in a few days, but I need to filter stuff out as to what I'd want the "trusting public" to see. ;) Do a google search on EX-S2 in the meantime, there are a couple reviews. Also look in the dpreview.com forums - Casio section.

--bdj

Ah.. doing naughty things with our tiny "spy cam" are we :twisted: Love it! Anyway, thanks for the links and I will be waiting for the pics.

Take care,
Monty

jayman
12-13-2002, 11:05 AM
Is there any way the XDA could recieve pictures from a camera's internal
memory via infared??

Monty Gibson
12-13-2002, 11:48 AM
Is there any way the XDA could recieve pictures from a camera's internal
memory via infared??

You know, I've thought about that myself and was very suspicious about trying it. I don't really know. Is there a camera out there that supports this? I haven't found one and I "briefly" looked the other day. If it works, let us know!

Thanks!
Monty Gibson

jayman
12-13-2002, 03:29 PM
If you are looking for a cheap good digital camera then goto

www.firebox.com

as cheap as £40

and look at the camera comparison page.
They all use USB - so if a software fix can be made
then any of them would work with the XDA.
None use the SD card - all CF or SM.

Think I am going to get one for christmas.
Good support too - although they are pretty busy at the
moment for some reason, so email may not be instantly
replied.

Jayman.

Janak Parekh
12-13-2002, 04:57 PM
Ah.. doing naughty things with our tiny "spy cam" are we :twisted: Love it! Anyway, thanks for the links and I will be waiting for the pics.
Actually, it's pretty mundane, but a little privacy is a good thing. ;)

Unfortunately it's not small enough to be a spy cam. I'd still not take pictures of random people in the subway... you need the Casio WQV-10 wristwatch to be a true spy. (It has a color viewfinder and color camera, although VERY low resolution, built into the watch).

--janak

Monty Gibson
12-13-2002, 05:10 PM
Actually, it's pretty mundane, but a little privacy is a good thing. ;)

Unfortunately it's not small enough to be a spy cam. I'd still not take pictures of random people in the subway... you need the Casio WQV-10 wristwatch to be a true spy. (It has a color viewfinder and color camera, although VERY low resolution, built into the watch).

--janak

Yeah, I saw that the other day. I don't see how you could be a "spy" with that thing... imagine trying to photograph secret documents or something and your General would be like: "Is that a missile silo or a chicken coop :lol: 8O" The images sucked, but I'm sure the technology will get better. Only time.

I don't know man, I can see taking some very discreet pic's with that little camera of yours. That resolution for that size of a camera kicks ass! Does it make a "flash sound" when you click the button for the shutter? If so, can you turn it off? If so then you could turn that bad boy sideways and put it in your coat and take photos very slyly of people -- especially on the subway and the women that may board :evilbat:.

Monty Gibson

Janak Parekh
12-13-2002, 06:13 PM
Yeah, I saw that the other day. I don't see how you could be a "spy" with that thing... imagine trying to photograph secret documents or something and your General would be like: "Is that a missile silo or a chicken coop :lol: 8O" The images sucked, but I'm sure the technology will get better. Only time.
:lol: But for face shots, it'd work.

I don't know man, I can see taking some very discreet pic's with that little camera of yours. That resolution for that size of a camera kicks ass! Does it make a "flash sound" when you click the button for the shutter?
I've already turned off all beeps. Still, with a winter coat, a scarf, etc. on the subway? It's a pretty challenging task. And in this day and age, everyone scrutinizes everyone else.

especially on the subway and the women that may board :evilbat:.
Haha, the subway is indeed a veritable source of pictures of all types. I see something new almost every day.

--janak

Hank Scorpio
12-13-2002, 11:20 PM
you know what's a cool little gadget, the PANASONIC SV-AV10, uses SD cards and it takes stills as well as video, but I don't know if there is a player that will play mpeg4 videos on the pocket PC out there yet? Packet Video does but I'm not sure if it will play the ones from the AV10.
I kinda wanna get one of these for Christmas but I'm wavering, anybody used one?

Monty Gibson
12-14-2002, 05:52 AM
you know what's a cool little gadget, the PANASONIC SV-AV10, uses SD cards and it takes stills as well as video, but I don't know if there is a player that will play mpeg4 videos on the pocket PC out there yet? Packet Video does but I'm not sure if it will play the ones from the AV10.
I kinda wanna get one of these for Christmas but I'm wavering, anybody used one?

That's very, very cool! Here's an excellent review (with photos) and a workup of the little tike http://electronics.cnet.com/electronics/0-6342639-1304-8408683.html?tag=dir. I'm so confused now which camera to use with my PPCPE. I may order this one too and compare to the other two that I just bought :roll:! Arrgh! Anyway, thanks for the link. You're making me poor :wink:. I love it though, so many options and I didn't even know all these existed! I think Packet Video will play it. It supports mpeg4; so why not, right? I'd like to know too. I haven't used it yet, but I am itchin' to get one now...

Take care,
Monty Gibson

P.S.-WHOA MAN! GO HERE TO SEE IT IN 3D ACTION! COOL :shocked!:! THEY SAY IT'S THE SIZE OF A BUSINESS CARD :shocked!:! http://www.panasonic.com/consumer_electronics/ewear/sd_av.asp

Hank Scorpio
12-14-2002, 07:59 PM
cool, let us know how everything turns out and which one you end up keeping, I want the av10 just for cool gadget factor. I had it good with my old ipaq and my olympus 3040, it makes quicktime movies that can be played with a photo viewer that I forget the name of, but it was sweet, now I'm looking for a new solution with my xda. I think I'm
gonna grab one of the av10's too, just because I can't stop thinking about it.

Janak Parekh
12-15-2002, 05:12 AM
P.S.-WHOA MAN! GO HERE TO SEE IT IN 3D ACTION! COOL :shocked!:! THEY SAY IT'S THE SIZE OF A BUSINESS CARD :shocked!:!
It might be the width and height, but it's more than an inch thick. You're also only getting 320x240 resolution images. Not a panacea (yet).

--janak

gareth
12-16-2002, 04:13 PM
I've gone up a level with my digital camera now - from £30 to £50 - last of the big spenders :lol:

my new camera (http://www.firebox.com/index.html?dir=firebox&action=product&pid=472)

Thanks to Jayman for the referral

I ordered it today, and they are currently quoting up to 7 days for delivery, so let's just hope it ships in time for Christmas!

And hey - it stores 279 800x600 images, so I don't care about linking it directly to my XDA anymore. :wink:

The one which I've just returned to where I bought it could only manage 20 pics at 600x400

Just hope it's OK, otherwise I'll be cutting things a bit fine, and might have to resort to the old box brownie!

(now who's going to sort the software fix?)

jayman
12-16-2002, 04:57 PM
Me too -
decided I don't need to see the pics instantly on my xda and will wait until I have downloaded them from my PC.
But will get a better camera when an SD card machine with better specs
at a better price appears. The Panasonic machine just didn't cut it at the price for me. I did however decide I needed a flash and decent movie fps, but no need for audio - can always use the xda for that and sync it later if need be.

So I opted for the ENIGMA (http://www.firebox.com/index.html?dir=firebox&action=product&pid=462)
Check out the specs.

As I have an old 64mb Smart media card unused!! - shame if this camera used SD we would have been able to conclude the thread after 4 posts!!

Jayman.

P.S. - It's almost definite that the SD slot can not be upgraded to SDIO. However is it possible for the usb slot to be updated to host capabilities via a software fix?? - I know there are some semi-geniusus(I know that's wrong but it made me laugh when I typed it) who read this forum who may be able to explain why this is or isn't possible or better yet prove it is possible!! Please let me know.

Hank Scorpio
12-16-2002, 11:30 PM

I'm quoting myself but what the hey, PictPocket Cinema says it plays mpeg4 video, as well as quicktime, I used PictPocket with my Ipaq to watch quicktime movies I made with my Olympus 3040 camera, it was great.

here's another small video recorder, takes compact flash, seems to be in the U.K. though

http://www.firebox.com/index.html?dir=firebox&action=product&pid=437&PHPSESSID=be6b598f13af02b08214faaadd22fd06

dsnefmly4
12-17-2002, 03:19 AM
P.S.-WHOA MAN! GO HERE TO SEE IT IN 3D ACTION! COOL :shocked!:! THEY SAY IT'S THE SIZE OF A BUSINESS CARD :shocked!:!
It might be the width and height, but it's more than an inch thick. You're also only getting 320x240 resolution images. Not a panacea (yet).

--janak

True, true. Here's what I've decided to do (what I've already done actually) with my T-Mobile:

1.) Bought this camera EX-M2 (thanks for the tip) http://exilim.casio.com/camera.cfm. Why?

-Flash on board,
-Ability to capture movies,
-SD card expandability greater than 128MB,
-Thin and small,
-2.0 megapixels for stills.

2.) Since it captures movies in the .AVI format I purchased this program from this company: http://www.digisoftdirect.com/Products/PictPocketCinema.html

3.) Bought a 512MB card cheap, from here: http://r3.us.rmi.yahoo.com/rmi/http://datavisioncomputer.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay/rmivars%3ftarget=_top?prrfnbr=1229712&prmenbr=2000&site=YAHOO which now I can watch the movies I create and also view the photographs that I capture instantaneously... instead of waiting to get home. It's all about being mobile... mobile!

4.) Have my awesome Vaja case: http://www.vajacases.com/Vaja/catalogo.nsf/Prods/941x-T/$file/T.jpg

5.) Bought the keyboard (until the slimmer one comes out) from here: http://datanywhere.net/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=DI&Product_Code=XD-STW&Category_Code=XDOTH

6.) Bought my attaché case from here (Tumi is so awesome): http://www.tumi.com/products/index.cfm?ModelID=12022&bb_id=c11028&sub_site_id=3&TMI_PL_3_Link=Details

7.) Bought this printer: http://shop.store.yahoo.com/etronicsnet/pansvp10.html

8.) Bought this (must have by the way for any PPCPE user): http://www.jabra.com/products/FreeSpeak_nonBluetooth.htm but found it cheap here: http://shop.store.yahoo.com/efunctional/100-91030000-02.html

9.) Purchased various medical software programs, GPRS monitor, games, Fonix VoiceDial, etc.

10.) Bought a 256MB card, left the on-board RAM alone and I'm happy as I can be. I do not need WiFi (why?), do not need bluetooth (why?), do not need a fingerprint scanner (why?), do not need 400mHz when 206 is just as fast. So, I'm very happy and hope everyone finds their "happiness" in their PPC's and PPCPE's, too.

Take care,
Monty Gibson

Janak Parekh
12-17-2002, 03:28 AM
1.) Bought this camera EX-M2 (thanks for the tip) http://exilim.casio.com/camera.cfm. Why?
Congrats. It's definitely not a pro's camera, but is a very useful point-and-shoot. I have an EX-S2, since I really didn't need the audio, but that feature's kinda cool too.

You'll want to get a case for it, BTW. There's no moving parts, including a lens cap.

BTW: any reason you're using a different username?

--janak

Monty Gibson
12-17-2002, 12:04 PM
Congrats. It's definitely not a pro's camera, but is a very useful point-and-shoot. I have an EX-S2, since I really didn't need the audio, but that feature's kinda cool too.

You'll want to get a case for it, BTW. There's no moving parts, including a lens cap.

BTW: any reason you're using a different username?

--janak

Well, from what I read the EX-M2 captures the audio with the video which is important for me; personally. I really don't need another .MP3 player or a voice recorder (ahem... pocket pc) but it's good to have it for the video. I ordered the black "leather" case for it as the suede case was too "green" for me :wink:. Do you have either case? Are they good quality leathers? Anyway, if not, I still have my Vaja leather bag that came with my case.

The reason I am using a different user name is something you may want to talk to Steve and/or Jason about. This probably isn't the "proper" forum for "this type of discussion..." and they will probably be more than willing to extend to you their ideas and the comments about this situation. But; moreover and most importantly, I wanted to end this thread that I had started on a proper foot since I promised to give an update on what I had planned to do. It's closure now and I think a lot of people would and will benefit from this discussion thread that you and I kept going and will hopefully take something from it beneficial to them and help them to "solve" some issues that can most definitely be "worked around" and with better quality in my honest opinion such as the camera. You won't find these type of specs in a CompactFlash camera nor an SD camera to my limited knowledge. I may be wrong, but I like the fact that I don't have something sticking out of my PocketPC to take a photograph.

Anyway, thanks for the great tips, advice, your thoughts, etc.
Take care,
Monty Gibson

P.S.-Congratulations on the new position :beer: :way to go:

Janak Parekh
12-17-2002, 04:32 PM
I ordered the black "leather" case for it as the suede case was too "green" for me :wink:. Do you have either case? Are they good quality leathers? Anyway, if not, I still have my Vaja leather bag that came with my case.
I ordered the "green" case, but it's not in yet.

The reason I am using a different user name is something you may want to talk to Steve and/or Jason about. This probably isn't the "proper" forum for "this type of discussion..."
Nah, it's best left between you and them. I'm not a moderator. :)

I like the fact that I don't have something sticking out of my PocketPC to take a photograph.
Agreed. And it's still pocketable while you have your PPC in your pocket.

P.S.-Congratulations on the new position :beer: :way to go:

--janak

jayman
12-18-2002, 07:00 PM
I am trying to work out whether the following products will work
together by looking through their specs. I cant seem to see any
reason why not. If anyone out there can see an obvious problem
please let me know.

Pocket DV2 camera
O2 XDA
Panasonic SD card
Panasonic SD to CF converter.

Thus my hope is - I can use the camcorder / camera to take stills / video
in avi/ jpeg onto the SD card housed in the SD-CF converter inside the camera and then remove the SD card and insert it into the xda for viewing.

thanks in advance for your views.

Monty Gibson
12-19-2002, 09:13 AM
I am trying to work out whether the following products will work
together by looking through their specs. I cant seem to see any
reason why not. If anyone out there can see an obvious problem
please let me know.

Pocket DV2 camera
O2 XDA
Panasonic SD card
Panasonic SD to CF converter.

Thus my hope is - I can use the camcorder / camera to take stills / video
in avi/ jpeg onto the SD card housed in the SD-CF converter inside the camera and then remove the SD card and insert it into the xda for viewing.

thanks in advance for your views.

Jayman,

Just to clarify let me put this on "paper" so that I can see what you're about to do:

1.) Use a CF adapter that can hold a SD card and use the CF adapter with the SD card in the Pocket DV2 Camera since the Pocket DV2 Camera requires a CF card.

2.) After your shoot your videos and your photographs you're going to then remove the SD card from the CF adapter and then put the SD card into the XDA/T-Mobile so that you can view the photographs and videos.

Correct? If so, then yes, this will work. However, Windows Media Player does not afford you the ability to watch .AVI films so please consider the following software:

http://www.digisoftdirect.com/Products/PictPocketCinema.html

It allows for .AVI viewing .MPEG 1, 2 and 4 viewing as well as .MP3's (fix is coming next week as it's a little choppy listening to them).

Also, you may want to consider (if you've not purchased these items yet) this camera from Casio; the EX-M2: http://exilim.casio.com/camera_specs.cfm

A.) you wouldn't need the CF adapter
B.) this camera comes with 2.0 megapixels and a flash
C.) it doesn't have a swing out viewfinder that may eventually break which
D.) makes it smaller.

Just a thought! Good luck and congratulations! :way to go:

Take care,
Monty Gibson