View Full Version : Thumbpads

bob66
12-06-2002, 07:05 PM
Hi all-My first post.

I have a general question:

I see products like the Treo, Zaurus, Clie, Tungsten W, etc., all w/ integrated thumbpads, and all not Pocket PC's.

Does any manufacturer have something coming. As a Blackberry and IPAQ user, I cannot imagine doing wireless email without the keypad, nor do I understand why at least one Pocket PC doesn't have this feature.

Thanks.

GoldKey
12-06-2002, 07:15 PM
While most don't have hardware thumbpads. There IS a soft keyboard that will pop up on the screen. Additionally, there are many add-on thumb keyboards for most models. I know I bought one for my old ipaq, but honestly found that for most things I did I would just use the softkeyboard so that I did not have to carry around the extra piece.

HOLLYWOOD_
12-06-2002, 09:59 PM
Has anyone tried to "peck" the softkeyboard while moving on planes, trains, or automobiles?? It is nearly impossible, and very frustrating!!!!! :crazyeyes:

However, the Blackberry is very accomodating to entering data while moving .....

GoldKey
12-06-2002, 10:26 PM
Has anyone tried to "peck" the softkeyboard while moving on planes, trains, or automobiles?? It is nearly impossible, and very frustrating!!!!! :crazyeyes:

However, the Blackberry is very accomodating to entering data while moving .....

There is a setting in the softkeyboard options that makes the keys a bit bigger. This might help on your accuracy.

HOLLYWOOD_
12-06-2002, 10:58 PM
There is a setting in the softkeyboard options that makes the keys a bit bigger

Agreed, this option helps a bit. However, the Blackberry type keyboard still is my input method of choice. Perhaps one day, when PPC comes out with a model that has an embedded wireless modem, that gives access to "always on wireless email", we will see a PPC model with a keyboard. Add-on keyboards never seem to be there when you want them. They end up tucked away in a laptop bag.... :?

On a sidenote, since I just got my Blackberry (corporate IT issued), I have run into the problem of how to sync both my PPC and Blackberry. Currently I have to go into the options setting and switch the COM ports, and then switch the serial plugs -- quite a hassle. I checked the web and saw that they make a USB to serial port converter. Will this ease my dilemma?? Any other suggestions?