View Full Version : I've seen Pocket PCs on TV and the movies, but never heard it said...

mike6024
12-06-2002, 11:00 AM
I've seen both Palms and Pocket PCs either on TV or the movies, but I've only heard the term "Palm" or "Palm Pilot" used (like tonite on "Good Morning, Miami"), never "Pocket PC". Have you?

GoldKey
12-06-2002, 02:12 PM
I've seen both Palms and Pocket PCs either on TV or the movies, but I've only heard the term "Palm" or "Palm Pilot" used (like tonite on "Good Morning, Miami"), never "Pocket PC". Have you?

I noticed the "Palm Pilot" term being used on Good Morning Miami. The "Pilot" names has not been used for years, I think they were sued by Pilot pen over it. I have always thought Pocket PC was a horrible name (no offense to this site). I usually use PDA.

Pony99CA
12-06-2002, 03:09 PM
I noticed the "Palm Pilot" term being used on Good Morning Miami. The "Pilot" names has not been used for years, I think they were sued by Pilot pen over it. I have always thought Pocket PC was a horrible name (no offense to this site). I usually use PDA.
Palm Pilot hasn't been used officially in years, but what people say conversationally is a whole different thing. :-)

As for "Pocket PC", I think it beats the stuffing out of the old "Palm-sized PC" (yuck).

Steve

Janak Parekh
12-06-2002, 03:17 PM
Palm Pilot hasn't been used officially in years, but what people say conversationally is a whole different thing. :-)
Yes, it's a catchy, if cheesy, name.

When people ask what I have, I usually end up saying "organizer" or "handheld computer", depending on how much I want to explain. I only throw out the "Pocket PC" bit if people are seriously interested... got tired of explaining it's not a "PalmPilot".

--bdj

karen
12-06-2002, 07:16 PM

Uh...that's because telling your mother-in-law something like "I gave my husband my old palm for Christmas" or "My boss gave me some palm accessories" leads to embarassed looks and all around bad vibes :oops: ...

GoldKey
12-06-2002, 07:18 PM
If Palm keeps getting used generically, don't they risk loosing the trademark on it?

mike6024
12-06-2002, 09:06 PM
Usually I just call mine a handheld at first, unless they start in with "Oh, is that a Palm (Pilot)?". If there's anyone there that knows me, then they know what that person is in for. I mean, that's like calling an Aston Martin a Ford. :lol:

JackTheTripper
12-06-2002, 09:14 PM
If Palm keeps getting used generically, don't they risk loosing the trademark on it?

I don't think so. I have a box of Safeway brand "Kleenex" on my desk and in the other room I use a Cannon copier to "Xerox" things all the time.

I do however use Adobe PhotoShop to "PhotoShop" things all the time, just as some people use Mirosoft Pait to "PhotoShop" something.

:P

Oh ya, another good show to catch a glimps of PPC's on the tube is CSI Miami. (Boy! They sure are popular in Miami, huh?)

Seraph1024
12-07-2002, 01:54 AM
Usually I just call mine a handheld at first, unless they start in with "Oh, is that a Palm (Pilot)?". If there's anyone there that knows me, then they know what that person is in for. I mean, that's like calling an Aston Martin a Ford. :lol:

I have done the same things too... I have a visor as well in my junk drawer. It's not a junk. It has its uses but PPCs and Palms are two different things.

I drive a Subaru SVX. only 25000 made world wide and 1666 in my year. When people ask WRX, I get real p*ss. They are two different things people... sorry got to vent a little.

lwin

Janak Parekh
12-07-2002, 04:09 AM
Uh...that's because telling your mother-in-law something like "I gave my husband my old palm for Christmas" or "My boss gave me some palm accessories" leads to embarassed looks and all around bad vibes :oops: ...
... but it's so cheesy! :D

I usually say "Palm III" or something like that. If people start thinking I have 3 palms, then they have other problems anyway. ;)

--bdj

Pony99CA
12-08-2002, 07:07 AM

I don't think so. I have a box of Safeway brand "Kleenex" on my desk and in the other room I use a Cannon copier to "Xerox" things all the time.

Actually, Goldkey was correct (except for the spelling of "losing" -- one of my pet peeves :-)). If "Palm" gets used generically often enough (likely in print or other media), their trademark could become diluted. Johnson & Johnson (Band-Aid), Kimberly-Clark (Kleenex), Xerox and other companies do try to keep that from happening. The correct generic terms are "adhesive bandages", "facial tissue" and "photocopying", I think. That said, I probably use the trademarked names generically, too. :-)

How many of you know "zipper" used to be a trademark for a slide fastener? They lost it. Ping Pong is also a trademark for a brand of table tennis, but I'm not sure if they lost that or not.

Steve