View Full Version : A New Dell Pocket Pc User (Questions Help)

jk
12-05-2002, 11:21 PM
I will soon be a new pocket pc user since the dell axim is more affordable than the other ppc's out there. I have not yet recieved my axim but there are a few things I am wondering....

A lot of talk revolves around gaming emulation. I am very intrested in this. I am wondering won't programmers eventually create xscale versions of emulators that will run better than the ARM ones? I just figure even if the current ones have problems there would still be future hope. Does anyone run the atari 2600 emulators or other ones that run really well? I ask because I only saw mention of nes emulation working well.

I have yet to deal with SD or CF type memory. Is there anything I should know about them? Is one better than the other? I noticed some have speeds on them...does the speed matter? Even though dell offers their memory does all 3rd party memory work in these devices?

Will Capcom games that work with the compaq ipaq work with the axim? I was looking at ghosts n goblins. I was also looking at Rayman does anyone know if that works?

As for movie files...is there a program that comes bundled that lets you create clips for the pocket pc? A conversion?

This is a way out there question....I noticed there is a ms-dos emulator....would dos programs work within this? I remember nesticle being dos based and a great nes emulator.

I know this is a lot and I am sure I will have more questions but if you could answer any of them it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rirath
12-06-2002, 12:12 AM
A lot of this the best way to answer is to simply try it yourself. There are atari emulators out there, just google search or use altavista. The DOS emulator doesn't run VGA, so no you can't simply play any old dos game. The emulator's homepage would have much more info on what you can run, mostly old CGA games. The current emulators run fine on Xscale, there's no incredible need for Xscale based versions, and as such there probably won't be for quite some time if ever. Emulation and other projects like this isn't about support, it's about what the programers and people working on the project want to do with their time. Nearly all 3rd party memory will work fine, though you may have problems with the mega-cheap brands simply because they're mega cheap cards. CF is usually cheaper than SD. I'd imagine the capcom games would run fine... ARM is fine usually. Try to find demos to be sure.

Simply put, explore. It's more fun that way. :)

jk
12-06-2002, 12:33 AM
I hear you about trying things out. I guess I am somewhat excitied about getting a pocket pc and jumping the gun. Your replies were very helpful. I will definitely be trying a bunch of different things out once I get it in my hands. Thanks!

Rirath
12-06-2002, 01:36 AM
We're all running around in circles the last few weeks looking for any bit and piece of information. :D It's quite the exciting time. I'd been more specific with links and such, but honestly I don't remember half of em. Shouldn't be hard to find though. Check the pocketgamer.org forums (do a search) for the last remaining (to my knowledge) YAME links. 0.38g is the latest, and they've got an ARM compiled version. (will run A-ok on Xscale of course) This looks pretty complete for your Atari needs: http://pocketvcs.emuunlim.com/

As for movies, go to www.pocketmovies.net and read the FAQ. Jason also posted a link to a more official way to do it a few weeks back using XP's Movie Maker. Anything else, just ask.