View Full Version : major newb buying confusions

jdavis
12-05-2002, 09:33 PM
I'm thinking about getting a 'value-priced' pocket pc. I've been looking at the Toshibas, Dells, and the Viewsonic. I want wi-fi access, good features and portibility. I really like the Dell Axim, but it seems quite large to tote around. The Viewsonics seem good also, since they are quite lighter/smaller. Same with the toshibas. As for the toshiba e33X's, I had a hard time determining if it supports wi-fi.

I'm really confused as to what's the ideal solution, and maybe there are other models besides these I haven't looked at. Any help would be really appreciated! :D

takotchi
12-05-2002, 10:05 PM
The Toshiba e330 and Viewsonic *could* support WiFi. They do have a Secure Digital I/O slot, however, there aren't any WiFi cards for SD yet. One is planned, but nothing is known about it's performance, not to mention it is likely to be extremely expensive, probably at least half of whatever you spend on the PocketPC itself.

The *400Mhz* Dell is worth it, if you can handle a LITTLE bit of extra size. But if you want to get the cheaper one, it has similar specs to the other value-priced PPCs, it's just $100 cheaper and a little larger.

One other value-priced one you forgot is the iPAQ 1910, however, it's specs are rather pathetic. It is the slowest and has the least amount of ROM and you can't use all the RAM is has (I think this also applies to the Viewsonic now, as well). But, it is supposedly very thin. I don't see the point of buying one unless you need a really small PPC. It, by the way, does not support WiFi (it has no SD I/O slot).

Lord_Nemo
12-05-2002, 10:13 PM
Keep in mind the the Dell and Viewsonic reportedly have better screens (transflective) than the Toshibas and that the Viewsonic and the HP are nearly the same (small) size.

Just to confuse things more...

Sunnyone
12-05-2002, 10:47 PM
Actually, since I have my Axim in hand, the size is not that bad. It's about the size of my naked iPAQ. Just a bit smaller, actually. Now if I can just get it to sync properly.