View Full Version : Microsoft Reader

cchall
12-05-2002, 04:16 PM
I recently purchased an IPAQ 3835. It came with Reader. I have activated it according to instructions. I thought I would try to download the free ebook to see how I liked using it before I paid for anything. When I try, I keep getting the message I need to activate before I can download the book. When I tried activating again, I get the message on my PC I already have activated. I have tried looking at all the "help" on the Microsoft Reader page and none of it seems to apply. Where should I go from here? I apologize if I have posted this in an incorrect place, I am a new person to your forum. Thanks in advance for the help.
cchall

ironguy
12-05-2002, 07:00 PM
On the MS site for Reader activations are two separate activations. One id for the PC and one for the Pocket PC. Did you activate it for the Pocket PC? Your PPC needs to be sync'ed at the time of activation. Also, try some of the other free books out there from sites like Fictionwise (www.fictionwise.com) and Projest Gutenberg (www.promo.net/pg). Some DRM ebooks require the book to be activated along with Reader. It's a little peculiar and there is no end to the controversy with Reader and its activations.

If you want to start the activation process from scratch, you'll need to delete the appropriate cookies from your PC - I don't know which they are, I just empty the whole cookie cache. Then try your activation again using the same passport ID you used. MS allows you to activate Reader on 4 separate devices - as many time as you want.

Hope this helps and look in the forums for links to more books - there's enough frree books out there to keep you reading for a loooooong time.

blazingwolf
12-07-2002, 03:48 AM
There are five files you need to delete.
[YourName]@passpaort.com
[YourName]@passporttest.com
Cookie:[your name]@das.microsoft.com/
Cookie:[your name]@passport.com/
Cookie:[your name]@passport.com/ppsecure
After you delete this go back to the activation site and start over. Good Luck.

blazingwolf
12-07-2002, 03:57 AM
Sorry :oops: forgot to tell where the files are located. In Internet Explorer go to internet options, then temporary internet files and click Settings. Then click view files. It may take you a while to find the files, but once you find them you can activate again.

ECOslin
12-07-2002, 04:04 AM
I tried only one book with Microsoft Reader after I activated it. I converted something to read on it because their available content wasn't what I wanted to read.

I dislike online registrations, when I can avoid it, I won't use that product. MSNBC just had a banner that leads to Kohl's department store, you can win $1000 or $10000 if you give them a valid e-mail address. Pass.

Otherwise I've mostly just used Word, to read RTF or TXT files. I can control font size in Word more easily than Reader, and I don't have to add anything that takes more memory.

If Reader had 'text to speach' on my Maestro, that was understandable and non-martian like, sure. I'm still looking for 'human' speech in a text to speech program.

Microsoft may have their view of what I should activate on my PDA, but I don't have to subscribe to their view.

Edward