View Full Version : REAL XScale speed??

jizmo
12-05-2002, 12:40 AM
There's been a discussion about the worse performance of the 400mhz XScale devices, when compared to ARM prosessors. And now everyone's a bit afraid that these new, cheaper 200 and 300mhz XScale devices will do considerably worse.

So; could someone run the tests on 400mhz XScale (video playing, some games) and then them with speed limited to 200mhz? I'd like to know how the lower speed processor perform in, say, playing a simple divx file.

iPAQ has made a daring decision when choosing a 200mhz XScale, but I really thing that they've put lots of thinking to it and have come to a conclusion in their own testings that the performance isn't that much worse. It might very well be, that 400mhz XScale doesn't have that much speed advantage over 200mhz until the system really supports it.

/jizmo

Seraph1024
12-05-2002, 01:12 AM
I have a feeling that Dell's XScale 200-300 MHz machines might be optimized somehow. I know for a fact that my e550g is a tad bid higher than the e740. Both of them made by Toshiba. Well, one for JDM and one for US market (sounds like cars ah?)

But I'd be more than happy to do a diagnostic/speed test on my 550 and compare that to my brother's maestro when he come back in a week. I can do the test on my 550g now if you guys want.

Lwin

Gremmie
12-05-2002, 04:38 AM
They are both branded Toshiba, but manufactured by two different companies. I don't know where some of the raw materials come from (other than the obvious equipment)