View Full Version : Activesync - No Sync Wireless????

hubolinc
12-04-2002, 09:31 PM
:?: I can ping the PPC (Dell).
I can browse for files on the PPC to the laptop that I have activesync setup on.
I can surf the web wirelessly.
I just cannot use Activesync.

I have read every post I could find with a similiar situation.
1) Tried putting in the Ip address of the laptop in wins.
2) Dowloaded Hosts.

Running active sync 3.6 (wouldn't work in 3.5 either).

??????????????

JonnoB
12-04-2002, 09:42 PM
Make sure you have ethernet RAS enabled in your connection settings on ActiveSync. Also, it won't work unless you at least once used a wired or IR link to sync.
[/img]

hubolinc
12-04-2002, 09:48 PM
Ethernet / RAS enabled and synced USB many times.

crackerheads
12-04-2002, 10:04 PM
I'm getting similar problems on my E740 after upgrading it to EUU3. It worked before flawlessly. Since upgrading I cannot figure out a way to sync wirelessly. It works over USB. I am also able to surf the internet wirelessly. I called Toshiba's technical support and the answer I received was that they do not support wireless syncing. They only verified that I could sync over USB and that I could wirelessly access the internet.

msprague
12-04-2002, 10:15 PM
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3607
Steps 1 thru 4 of this article also apply to wireless syncing.

crackerheads
12-04-2002, 10:36 PM
I have followed the steps in the link provided by msprague but to no avail :(

hubolinc
12-04-2002, 10:53 PM
I didn't do a hard reset on pocket host after I entered the settings.
Once I did works great.
Thanks! :D

Steven Cedrone
12-04-2002, 11:11 PM
I didn't do a hard reset on pocket host after I entered the settings.
Once I did works great.
Thanks! :D

You mean a soft reset, right? :wink:

Steve

spireview
12-05-2002, 02:45 AM
Same thing happened to me with my Ipaq after upgrading to EUU3 last night. I can't sync wirelessly anymore. Any help would be appreciated.

Wingnut
12-05-2002, 06:53 PM
My e740 came back from the recall with a similar problem. I remedied the situation by opening settings->connections and then made sure that all three panes said "Internet Settings", which are the ones I use to access the internet.

crackerheads
12-06-2002, 09:30 PM
My e740 came back from the recall with a similar problem. I remedied the situation by opening settings->connections and then made sure that all three panes said "Internet Settings", which are the ones I use to access the internet.
I tried this too, but it's still not working :cry:

Jorgen
12-07-2002, 09:13 AM
Looks like we all have different settings.

On my hp-568, I have "Internet setting" which I use for wirelessly connecting to my DSL and work setting which I use for wirelessly synch'ing.

The work setting is bare: I have no modem, no vpn and no "this connects to the internet".

I use DHCP to set the IP address. I have set the DNS, but no WINS. I use a d-link dcf-660W.

I used to use static IP addresses with a Socket LAN card. My Socket LAN manual say: if you use a static IP address instead of DHCP, you may need to put the IP address of your host computer in your primary WINS field in order to use activesync.

So try setting the WINS on your PDA's.

Hope this helps.

Jorgen

crackerheads
12-07-2002, 09:47 AM
I have set the WINS on my PDA to the IP address of the computer I am trying to sync with. Unfortunately I am still unable to sync wirelessly.

Jorgen
12-07-2002, 11:13 AM
A soft reset after changing a network setting somrtimes help - network settings are sometimes sticky.

If that doesn't help either and your settings are as I described in my previous message, your machine may be confused and you may have to do a hard reset. Back up everything as your machine will be empty. Yes, I know hards reset is nasty as I had to do one not long ago. However, it was good to get the machine cleaned up!

You can't see it, bit the smirk on my face has now disappeared:
My old PPC (hp-548, a PPC2000 device) will now not sync with the computer using LAN or WLAN! The connection to the Internet (avantgo sync + IE) works fine and I can sync via USB. Ah well. :(

Jorgen

crackerheads
12-07-2002, 06:23 PM
Unfortunately, I am working with a newly-hard reset E740 for I just finished updating the ROM. I have also soft reset the device yet it still is not working. I do see my computer receiving packets when I initiate a sync from the E740, but the computer does not send any sort of reply as far as I can tell.

Jorgen
12-08-2002, 08:54 AM
Really? Let us then try the other end:

Deselect "Allow serial" and "allow USB" in Connection Settings in Activesync, so only "Allow network" is selected

I assume that you can still access the Internet from the PPC?

Jorgen

crackerheads
12-08-2002, 08:58 AM
I deselected "allow serial" and "allow usb" in the Connection Settings in Activesync on my desktop. The pda still cannot sync wirelessly.

I can still access the Internet from the E740.

Chung

bucho
12-12-2002, 01:27 AM
Can you ping the desktop from the PPC?
Can you open port 5679 on the desktop from PPC?
(you can use the vxUtils to do this)

What happens when you try to connect - is it completely dead or is it hanging on "Connecting"?

This may shed some light:
http://www.cewindows.net/wce/20/protocols.htm

crackerheads
12-12-2002, 03:50 AM
I can ping the desktop from the PPC.
I can open port 5679 on the desktop from PPC.
When I connect, nothing happens. I can see the desktop gets incoming packets but it never transmits any packets itself.

Thanks for the link, I will check it out.

crackerheads
12-12-2002, 04:08 AM
I finally gave up and decided to use PocketHosts to allow me to connect. I know this program wasn't needed before. Examining the traffic across my desktop, it seems as if my desktop didn't want to acknowledge it's computer name after a whois query for some reason. Thanks for all of your tireless efforts! I'm very grateful for all of your help :D.

Chung

crackerheads
12-16-2002, 06:45 PM
After using PocketHosts I discovered an undesired consequence. I had originally wanted to sync wirelessly to gain the benefit of the Wi-Fi's speed compared to the USB's speed. I didn't realize that PocketHosts would cause the PocketPC to sync over the internet. The result of this is that the PocketPC goes through the DSL (128k upload) to connect to my computer even though they are on the same network and shouldn't need to go through the Internet. This pretty much negates the speed benefit I was looking for. Although this does allow me to sync with my computer anywhere I have Internet access and permission to use a Wi-Fi access point, which is a nice benefit. Does anyone have a solution to this problem, keeping in mind all the previous issues I've been experiencing sync-ing thus far?

Thanks,
Chung

bucho
12-19-2002, 01:46 AM
After using PocketHosts I discovered an undesired consequence. I had originally wanted to sync wirelessly to gain the benefit of the Wi-Fi's speed compared to the USB's speed. I didn't realize that PocketHosts would cause the PocketPC to sync over the internet. The result of this is that the PocketPC goes through the DSL (128k upload) to connect to my computer even though they are on the same network and shouldn't need to go through the Internet. This pretty much negates the speed benefit I was looking for. Although this does allow me to sync with my computer anywhere I have Internet access and permission to use a Wi-Fi access point, which is a nice benefit. Does anyone have a solution to this problem, keeping in mind all the previous issues I've been experiencing sync-ing thus far?

Thanks,
Chung

I'm not sure I understand... Why would the sync traffic go through the DSL link? I can understand you're accessing your PC through your router and public IP, but why would the router send the traffic over the DSL link if it knows that the IP is local on the router. Do you have more then one router?

crackerheads
12-19-2002, 02:20 AM
i'm confused as to why the switch is sending my traffic over the DSL link also. I do have multiple routers in my network, but they all have their DHCP turned off. They're basically acting as switches. My network comprises of 2 wireless access points/routers and 2 switches.

Janak Parekh
12-19-2002, 07:59 AM
In addition to what these two guys said: are you sure about this? Is your machine behind a router-sharing box and/or firewall? If so, this isn't possible unless you set up a DMZ or open a bunch of ports as per ActiveSync.

Here's something to consider: if your desktop has two IP's, a public and a private (e.g., if it's doing Internet Connection Sharing), make sure you use the private IP address.

I've done wireless syncing, and I do get the blazing performance, no special setup required.

--janak

crackerheads
12-19-2002, 09:15 AM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure. My machine isn't behind a router-sharing box and/or firewall. My desktop also only has one network card and one IP address, a public one. I've done wireless syncing before also with no special setup. That was before I flashed the ROM with EUU3. I'm not sure why since then I've been having problems.

Chung

crackerheads
01-17-2003, 01:02 AM
Hi All,
I think I discovered what's keeping the E740 with EUU3 from wirelessly synchronizing. Before applying EUU3 I was able to configure the WINS server by just entering the IP address of the desktop into the WINS address field for the wireless adapter. This worked regardless if I had DHCP selected or not. Since applying EUU3 the E740 seems to only accept the manually inputted WINS server if I do not select to use DHCP. Thus, the workaround is to manually input the IP address info and not utilize DHCP if you want the WINS address to be manually set. This is a major inconvenience for me because I must use DHCP to first obtain an IP address from my DSL ISP. After copying/memorizing the IP address, subnet address, and gateway address, I have to turn off DHCP and manually enter those values. Aside from that, wirelessly syncronizing without using PocketHosts is not working properly and I am connecting directly to the desktop without first traversing the DSL connection. Thanks everyone for your help!
Chung Tang

cliss
01-19-2003, 02:14 PM
Hey all,
Perhaps I missed this and someone covered it, but it's quite simple to ActiveSync wirelessly without any third-party software (ie, PocketHosts). All that needs to happen is to go into the Connections control panel applet, and select (from top to bottom), Internet / Internet / Work.

This should work without any problem, AFTER you follow the steps in the link listed somewhere earlier. Said differently, you must establish a partnership using USB first, and then enable RAS connections, etc.

At least, it works for me.... ;)

-Casey

kevdawg2003
01-25-2003, 07:53 AM
HAHA i did it...

started trying this... oh i dont know... 3 weeks ago. but i did it.

biggest problem had to be the router setup incorrectly with the port forwarding and/or the hosts setup.

if anyone else is having troubles, please email me or IM me at AIM. i would be glad to assist.

update: Syncing with wifi is SO much faster...

Sslixtis
02-04-2003, 11:05 PM
HAHA i did it...

started trying this... oh i dont know... 3 weeks ago. but i did it.

biggest problem had to be the router setup incorrectly with the port forwarding and/or the hosts setup.

if anyone else is having troubles, please email me or IM me at AIM. i would be glad to assist.

update: Syncing with wifi is SO much faster...

Would it be too much trouble for you to just post what you did?