View Full Version : Warning about Buy.com. Has this happened to you?

protocol01
12-04-2002, 06:32 AM
:x Hi All,

Sorry for the length.

I preordered the HP5450 from Buy.com last week. I found out today that my credit card is showing two authorizations from buy.com for this purchase. So what did i do but call customer support to find out what happened and to correct it. I went throught the menu and sellected customer support only to hear a message indicating i would be billed $9.95 for this call and enter my credit card number. Well i did to find out what would happen. The girl who answer was very polite. I explained my problem and she said she would take care of this. I then asked her what is the deal with charging customers for order support, she said this is a new policy. I then went into my tyraid about how ridiculous this is. She did not disagree. I am warning people about this new policy from buy.com to charge customers (not for tech support) but for customer support what a slap in the face. I am wondering if anybody else has experience this. If so how did you handle it? I am writing a letter to Scott Blum.

ThomasC22
12-04-2002, 07:24 AM
I've always considered Buy.com to be the online equivalent of Fry's. The prices are good but service, support, and just about everything else is lousy.

I stopped ordering from them after the fourth order they screwed up. I would not recommend them (and usually you only save $10 anyways which, as you've found out, is hardly worth it)

Rirath
12-04-2002, 07:27 AM
Thanks for the warning, sorry about your trouble man.

Seraph1024
12-05-2002, 01:15 AM
For 10 or 15 bucks difference, I'd just go and get it from a local store. I get the items on the same day as well :)

Sven Johannsen
12-05-2002, 06:15 AM
Betcha this is just a preview of things to come. In the fight to win customers the retailers and etailers are alwas looking at ways to cut the cost. That's because the average american consumer doesn't give a flip about quality and service when reaching for the wallet. Just ready to complain about the lack of it after gravitating to the lowest price.

A long time ago there was a computer company that I bought a PC from. I bought a peripheral from that same company which didn't work with my PC. A company trained tech swapped out my motherboard at no charge to ensure my pieces were compatible. I regularly got my OS updates for free. Just showed up at the store with blank floppies. That was the way it was. That was service and customer support. The company? Apple. Did they sell like hotcakes? No. Why? Too expensive.

Seraph1024
12-05-2002, 06:26 AM
The company? Apple. Did they sell like hotcakes? No. Why? Too expensive.

not to go OT but Apple might be on the right track with the OSX. I myself have a beige G3 @533 on X and I personally love it. I am a big *nix fan and *nix part on the OSX sold me. I still have XP and linux boxes as well but with X out, apple might be on the right track.

ThomasC22
12-05-2002, 07:35 AM
Betcha this is just a preview of things to come. In the fight to win customers the retailers and etailers are alwas looking at ways to cut the cost. That's because the average american consumer doesn't give a flip about quality and service when reaching for the wallet. Just ready to complain about the lack of it after gravitating to the lowest price.

Well, don't get too disenchanted, Buy.com has been providing poor customer service for AT LEAST 4 years (that I know of). Plus, Amazon is still the most popular online shopping site and they actually have fairly good customer service. I think the way it's going to turn out (and is already turning out, hence this thread) is that people are going to go the cheap route at first, realize it wasn't worth it, and search out better customer service. Atleast, I hope...

Janak Parekh
12-05-2002, 07:52 AM
Well, don't get too disenchanted, Buy.com has been providing poor customer service for AT LEAST 4 years (that I know of).
Agreed. Ever since buy.com seemed to be selling at a loss, I knew they had to make up for it somewhere. ;)

--bdj