View Full Version : Pocket PC Software/Memory

sanjap
12-04-2002, 02:37 AM
I have noticed each time i close a program, and i go to memory management > running programs, i still find it running therefore cosuming Memory. How does one close a program so it doesn't keep running inthe background?
Thanks
Sanjap

ThomasC22
12-04-2002, 04:03 AM
I have noticed each time i close a program, and i go to memory management > running programs, i still find it running therefore cosuming Memory. How does one close a program so it doesn't keep running inthe background?

Get a task manager is the best way, Wisbar will do it (as with Gigabar, et al).

The other way is to go Start > Settings > System > Memory > Running Programs and End all the tasks.

rave
12-04-2002, 05:57 AM
There isn't really a "close" button in Pocket PC. The "X" button is the "smart minimize" button. The application is just minimized when you press it. When you've opened too many programs, the operating system intelligently closes running minimized applications as necessary.

If you want to close your programs manually, try getting a task manager application as ThomasC22 mentioned.

Pony99CA
12-04-2002, 08:26 AM

You didn't say what Pocket PC you had. Many have task managers pre-installed. All iPAQs that I know of have them (on the 3800 series and later, it's iTask).

Steve

Pony99CA
12-04-2002, 08:30 AM

The other way is to go Start > Settings > System > Memory > Running Programs and End all the tasks.
I generally wouldn't recommend using Stop All. It will stop things you might want running, like ActiveSync and Inbox.

To only close specific programs, use Settings/Memory/Running Programs. Select the program you want to kill, then press the Stop button.

Steve

Pony99CA
12-04-2002, 08:35 AM
There isn't really a "close" button in Pocket PC. The "X" button is the "smart minimize" button. The application is just minimized when you press it. When you've opened too many programs, the operating system intelligently closes running minimized applications as necessary.

What you said is correct, at least in theory. In practice, many users don't think it behaves so intelligently. :-)

I think the "smart minimize" feature is horrible, especially as Microsoft doesn't have a standard task manager in the Pocket PC OS (I don't consider the Memory applet to be a task manager). Imagine if Windows didn't really close programs, but tried to keep them running in the background. I have lots of start up programs, and run out of system resources on Windows 98 much too quickly.

Steve