View Full Version : When, When and Where?

dr_doak
12-04-2002, 01:59 AM
OK, a few of us put in one order for three axims for "work" purposes. This was on the 19th afternoon. They still show as in production. Since Dell insists that they have not shipped yet, I wanna know how everyone else is doing.

When did you order, when did it get shipped (if at all)?
Where was is shipped to (Country/state)?
When did Dell SAY it would ship?

My only course of action is to try and second guess Dell'sshipping schedule before I go insane ;) The waiting is only made worse by the arrival of my new SD card and Wireles CF...

Thanks!

ThomasC22
12-04-2002, 02:05 AM
When did you order, when did it get shipped (if at all)?
Where was is shipped to (Country/state)?
When did Dell SAY it would ship?

November 18th/November 26th
La Venre, CA, USA
December 5th

From stories I've heard, the Axim is obviously doing very well and is hence, backlogged, so you may have to wait a while. :cry:

Rirath
12-04-2002, 03:30 AM
(there's such a wonderful search tool at ppc thoughts, and it goes to waste... :wink: )

Nov 20th / Dec 3rd
Illinois, USA
Dec 16th

dr_doak
12-04-2002, 04:13 AM
there's such a wonderful search tool at ppc thoughts, and it goes to waste...

I know about the search, I just hate having to do it over and over looking for a ray of hope... :wink:

Kati Compton
12-04-2002, 04:30 AM
Nov 19th (am) / Nov. 26th (but got to UPS on the 27th)
Illinois, USA
Arrived Nov 2. Would have been sooner if not for Thanksgiving and the day after being days off for UPS drivers, but since I wasn't home then anyway, didn't really matter.... I was just upset I couldn't pick it up from the UPS office on Saturday. ;)

solus
12-04-2002, 04:53 AM
Seems like it ranges from 13-16 days. Hrm...I ordered mine on the 1st od December. That means (theoretically) I'll get it on the 14th-17th...My ship date is supposedly the 18th. Blah - I hate waiting for packages :evil: . Especially really really cool stuff :D .

Dell has starting mass marketing for the Axim. They have all those ads around cnet, and I also got that Dell catalog thing in the mail today which had the Axim in it. Perhaps they are ready to take many many more orders? Which means some of you guys who have been waiting (or those who will have to wait) won't have to wait as long?... I hope so.

Kati Compton
12-04-2002, 05:22 AM
From what I was reading on the Dell forum, those that ordered before about noon on the 19th have theirs. Those that ordered later than that either haven't shipped or have just shipped. It also depends on which unit and if you ordered any extras.

I'm guessing that their initial stockpile ran out halfway through the 19th, and that's why there's been a gap in the shipping between orders early on the 19th and orders late on the 19th.

Rirath
12-04-2002, 05:43 AM
I know about the search, I just hate having to do it over and over looking for a ray of hope...

Just kiddin ya, actually it's a good thread. Bunch of misinformation spread through the forum. Would be nice to get all the confirmed data in one place.

marchaa
12-04-2002, 01:33 PM
Dell's web-manager must have been forced out on the floor to make all these Axims everyone is ordering. He must, because no one is keeping track of the web-site. I ordered my Axim on November 21st after I spent precious days drooling in front of my computer while staring at the 3D Axim. Finally I convinced my wife to let me order a replacement for my Palm IIIxe. I ordered the top of the 400 mhz Axim with a case and screen protectors. My estimated delievery date with next day shipping is December 19. According to the website it went into production on the 23rd of November. I knew I was going into the Thanksgiving Holiday. And I figured Dell is a semi-decent company and gave its employees some time off to enjoy. But now almost two weeks has passed and the same information is listed to this very minute. My Axim is still "kitting." I sure hope in my case the stories are true and my Axim is more than circuit boards and wire in a plastic tote on an assembly line.
Sorry all, I figured it was ok to vent a little after waiting 14-days with no progress. I admit I knew it was going to be a long wait when I was told it would be a few days shy of a month by the time I would have my Axim in hand. And I won't be upset if it takes that long to finally get to me. But... can't they at list give some hope. At least be testing the Axim, or packaging it.

Wow, I feel much better now. This is my first jump into the Pocket PC world. And I am switching from a Palm IIIxe that has been used about 10 times as much as it was probably designed for. Anyone have any recomendations on how I can make the transition the easiest? Or anything that I must know about PPC 2002?

Thanks
Andy

Roosterman
12-04-2002, 02:21 PM
From what I was reading on the Dell forum, those that ordered before about noon on the 19th have theirs.

Not quite, I ordered my 300 with no accessories in the AM on the 18th, was shipped the 26th and I am still waiting. :evil: This though is not the fault of Dell. UPS had it here 4 miles away on the 27th and they sent it half way across the country. As I type it is leaving Lexena, KS (hopefully heading east , I'm just not sure with UPS :agrue:). Maybe I'll have it befor Christmas.

Kati Compton
12-04-2002, 04:16 PM
I think "kitting" and "in production" is code for "waiting for new units to arrive" and "working on shipping all the units for earlier orders than yours". Assuming they're shipping basically in the order the Axims were ordered.

dr_doak
12-04-2002, 08:17 PM
OK, just so I got a few more details from the dell page for my order.
I think we must've ordered JUST after noon on the 19th... Processing and Pre-Production all took place that day. They then spent 6 days getting it to the "in production stage." Here it has sat since the 25th... I assume that they must have a supply problem since it hasn't even kitted. I have noticed that some people that claimed to order on the 20th already have theirs. Anyone know if leather case or stylus orders have been know to slow down orders?

:x

Rirath
12-04-2002, 08:31 PM
Dell's web-manager must have been forced out on the floor to make all these Axims everyone is ordering

I tried repeatedly to talk to some kind of manager, anyone. I hate yelling at the regular sales dudes.
I got nowhere though, simply bounced between Customer Service and Sales.

dr_doak
12-05-2002, 01:03 AM
From Dell's description of the individual steps of the order it would appear that "Pre-Production" is the part where they make sure they have enough pieces to build the order. "Kitting" is only the placing of the parts in a box or something and mating it with the case...

So... Either Dell lied in the description or they are hiring 3-toed sloths to pick stuff up and put it in a box :o

Feels so good to rant!

marchaa
12-05-2002, 01:17 AM
So... Either Dell lied in the description or they are hiring 3-toed sloths to pick stuff up and put it in a box

I love that, you are much better at ranting than I.

Well, yet another work day has passed and my tote with my order number on it still sits, waiting for a 3-toed sloth to pick up parts that should be sitting around dell in the millions. I know its evil, but I hope the person in charge of the web site is having a personal crisis or something. I know I am. I would be the happiest person around if my order status changed. Or even yet if by pure luck the UPS man showed up and suprised me with a package from Dell. It had better not be those screen protectors and case holding my order back.

Andy :cry:

marchaa
12-05-2002, 01:48 AM
OK. I am just a little upset. I just came from the Dell Axim ordering page. Well guess what.... I can order an Axim today and the estimated shipping date..... The same day as my order I placed half a month ago.. Theoretically I could cancel my first order and make a new one without the case everyone hates and still get it the same day.

Is that a good Idea....?? Let me know what you think :evil: :x

dr_doak
12-05-2002, 02:53 AM
If dell were actually following the logical first come first serve "concept" then Rirath would still be waiting like the rest of us. Instead, they seem to be only shipping to people that are not me... I find this most distressing. Perhaps the three toed sloths have more responsibility than I had previously though?

All I gotta say is DARN PHYSICS TO HELL!!!! If not for that class I would have placed that order on the 18th and might already have my Axim! Oh, the humanity!

I'm too used to getting stuff the day after it comes out... I don't know how I survived the three week wait for my laptop.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Almost forgot: The way things are going I'd say its a toss up if you reorder, maybe it'd be like a kick in the head and they'd ship it the next day......Or maybe they'd ship it 3 months from now since they're bound to run low on parts again. Personally, I would wait it out.

On the plus side, our Dell rep tells us they are required to list huge lead times by law, but usually beat them by a bit.

ednulla
12-05-2002, 08:23 PM
:ninja: The Dell website said my Axim was "In Transit to Local Delivery" even after I had the unit in my hot little hands! They sent it UPS Ground and I had requested 2nd Day Air. Ordered on the 18th Arrived Dec 2.
But its here and i am very pleased with it. A nice step up from my iPaq 3630

Rirath
12-05-2002, 08:53 PM
If dell were actually following the logical first come first serve "concept" then Rirath would still be waiting like the rest of us.

Wha? Hey wait a minute... how so? Jhokur ordered same day as me and his has shipped too. I'm the last person you want to think has special treatment from Dell. :roll:

Kati Compton
12-05-2002, 09:07 PM
:ninja: The Dell website said my Axim was "In Transit to Local Delivery" even after I had the unit in my hot little hands! They sent it UPS Ground and I had requested 2nd Day Air. Ordered on the 18th Arrived Dec 2.
But its here and i am very pleased with it. A nice step up from my iPaq 3630

I believe the deal they have with their shipper is that they are free to use whatever method provided it gets to you the same time as it would the way you actually paid for. So if you're near a nexus of ground shipping, that's probably just as fast as 2nd day air. If you're in Podunk County, Nebraska, then they'd probably have to actually do the air shipping.

marchaa
12-06-2002, 01:33 AM
Well another day has passed and still no change. I am constantly reading threads of people who ordered much later than me who are playing with their Axims already. My Axim still list as "in production." No kitting, no nothing.
I can't seem to find a human voice at Dell to speak with about the matter. I have emailed my customer service rep.... no reply. 14 days and counting until it is supposed to be in my hands. And it has sat "in production since the 23rd of Nov.
This is horrible I feel like a kid in high school waiting for their signifigant other to call or show up after a big fight. Electronics aren't supposed to do this to me 8O 8O :cry: :cry:

dr_doak
12-06-2002, 03:25 AM
I know how you feel... Mine's been in production since the 25th after a 19th order. Spent an hour on hold for a Dell human, but hung up. My boss sent an email to our rep asking them to expedite, but no response yet. I'm starting to wonder about that first come first serve thing, it seems some of us got passed by. :evil:

Sorry Rirath... I think I misread a previous post saying you had yours a bit earlier ;) Wasn't upset with any of you who have it already tho'. Just a tad miffed at Dell.

Why, oh why must I keep craving the newest gadgets?!?!?