View Full Version : TechTV Holiday Gifts Under $300

Ed Hansberry
12-03-2002, 10:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/products/story/0,24330,3409285,00.html' target='_blank'>http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/...3409285,00.html</a><br /><br /></div>Tech TV poured over thousands of products for hundreds and hundreds of hours to determine what products for $300 or less would be the most bang for the buck. Well, either that or Leo and Martin threw darts against the wall. :wink: <br /><br />So, what did they pick?<br />• <span style="color:darkred"><b>Dell Axim Pocket PC </b></span>- The $299 Axim X5 Pocket PC device features dual-slot expansion capability for SD/MMC and Type II CompactFlash, allowing you to add memory or wireless networking hardware simultaneously.<br />• <span style="color:darkred"><b>HP iPAQ h1910</b> </span>- This is the first PDA from the now-merged HP and Compaq to depart from the traditional iPaq exterior. It's also the smallest Pocket PC PDA we've seen. $299.<br />• <b>Microsoft XBox</b> - The $299 Xbox is the most powerful game console ever. Compared to other consoles, the Xbox boasts a marked difference in graphics quality and processing power.<br />• <b>Apple 5GB iPOD</b> - Apple had its finger on the pulse of the digital music revolution and went with it. The $299 iPod features a 5GB hard drive that holds about 1,000 of your favorite MP3 files encoded at 160 Kbps.<br />• <b>NVidia GeForce Ti 4600</b> - Make the gamer in your life happy with a GeForce4 video card. It offers improved performance in nearly every area compared to older-generation GeForce chips. Cost? $250.<br />• <b>Stereo-Link Model 1200</b> - A USB digital-to-analog converter that links your computer to your home stereo system.<br />• <b>Creative Labs Nomad MuVo</b> - In an era when Flash-based MP3 players pack loads of extra features and use proprietary cables or memory modules, the $169 MuVo represents a refreshing blast of the basics blended with innovative design.<br /><br />You can go to their site to read reviews about some of these items.

Wes Salmon
12-03-2002, 10:17 PM
The XBox is even better at its actual price, $199. Wonder how TechTV missed that little detail since it's been $199 for a long time now.

jmulder
12-03-2002, 10:17 PM
• Microsoft XBox - The $299 Xbox is the most powerful game console ever. Compared to other consoles, the Xbox boasts a marked difference in graphics quality and processing power.

I thought the XBox was down to $199...

-Jim

Ed Hansberry
12-03-2002, 10:26 PM
The XBox is even better at its actual price, $199. Wonder how TechTV missed that little detail since it's been $199 for a long time now.
They show $269 at the "Tech TV Store" but that is shown as "Xbox Console + 2 Sega Games (w/ DVD Playback Kit & Memory Card)"

Perhaps that bundle used to be $299?

Wes Salmon
12-03-2002, 10:36 PM
The default XBox bundle is $199 and it includes the XBox, 1 S Controller and 2 games, Sega GT and JSRF. Anything beyond that is a bonus bundle of sorts. I've seen the same "bundle" they are selling at Costco for $239 (2nd controller and DVD playback kit).

$199 is the XBox price, why Tech TV is saying it's more is either a) because they are ignorant or b) they are trying to make their "bundle" seem worth its price by inflating the real price to $299. :)

bdeli
12-03-2002, 10:39 PM
299$ is the price the XBOX is selling in Canada...excluding GST and PST!

Unreal32
12-03-2002, 11:46 PM
Tech TV poured over thousands of products...

Actually, they "pored" over the products. If they poured over them they'd be ruined. :wink:

Main Entry: pore
Pronunciation: 'pOr, 'por
Function: intransitive verb
Inflected Form(s): pored; por·ing
Etymology: Middle English pouren
Date: 13th century
1 : to gaze intently
2 : to read studiously or attentively -- usually used with over
3 : to reflect or meditate steadily

Ed Hansberry
12-03-2002, 11:54 PM

Actually, they "pored" over the products. If they poured over them they'd be ruined. :wink:

Hm. I didn't even know it was a proper definition. I thought it meant to "pour yourself intently" as to focus. "pore" to me means something with holes. :) Thanks. I'll never misuse it again.

Stake
12-04-2002, 04:05 AM
A nice MP3 player that has been implemented and designed well, yes...but it's expensive for 5GB. Why not get the new Creative Nomad Zen??

$332 - $50 rebate at Amazon = $282 plus free shipping!

You just can't beat that!

More importantly, it's small and FireWire and USB capable. Funny thing to mention: if you read the Amazon user review, the last person to post their opinion yelled and screamed that it wouldn't work on a Mac. Isn't that why Apple users have the iPod??? :roll:

http://www.nomadworld.com/products/Jukebox_Zen/

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/electronics/B00006LHO7/rebates/01/002-1410298-9060820

Daniel
12-05-2002, 04:23 AM

Hm. I didn't even know it was a proper definition. I thought it meant to "pour yourself intently" as to focus. "pore" to me means something with holes. :) Thanks. I'll never misuse it again.

A lot of people learned something from this I think ;)

Daniel

Daniel
12-05-2002, 04:29 AM
A nice MP3 player that has been implemented and designed well, yes...but it's expensive for 5GB. Why not get the new Creative Nomad Zen??

Hey, that looks really cool. I have a 10GB iPod, it's great but I'd like to be able to edit files on the move. 12hr battery life sounds good too.

I think one of the great things about the iPod is that it has been able to be upgraded fairly easily, I'd like to see a comparison review of the iPod and this product.

I tell you what though, I don't know if I like the name, there's not much Zen about buying a MP3 player. :roll:

Daniel