View Full Version : There must be a better way to move the music around

intastella
12-03-2002, 02:13 AM
I've got an Ipaq 3970 with a SD memory card (256MB) and a compact flash card (512MB).

I love listening to music on my Ipaq and carry a lot of it around with me. However, moving the files around can be a bit cumbersome and long-winded. I'm not talking about speed of transfer here, because I know that's limited. I'm talking about the whole process of deleting what's on the card, finding the music you want and manually copying it back onto the card. Lots of copying and pasting.

Does anyone know of a piece of software that will keep track of which files are where and allow me to move tracks on and off the memory cards easily?

My desktop has a massive collection of music files and I'd like to be able to change what I carry around quite often. The memory cards connect to the desktop through a USB card reader and so activesync doesn't need to be involved (in fact, it would be much easier if it wasn't). I tried using the built in stuff on Windows Media Player and that was very cumbersome and slow.

Surely, there must be a piece of software out there that will do this. Has anyone heard of anything like this?

Does anyone have a system that does the same thing and works well. I wonder if using the briefcase function would be good...

:?

spursdude
12-03-2002, 06:46 AM
As for organization, surely you've tried organizing your music by artist, then folder, or something along those lines. My music collection is not as comprehensive, but the folder system works quite well in keeping me organized and aware as to what is one my CF card.

Also, I know you weren't talking about speed of transfer, but anybody who wants real fast transfer to a CF card should check out the Viking PC card to CF adapter. It's real simple - plug and play, and file transfer of my WMAs is nearly instantaneous. It is infinitely faster and more convenient than working through ActiveSync. The CF card just shows up as another drive. Also, it actually provides a bit more comprehensive info than exploring a CF card through your ActiveSync connection - you get to see free space, file size, etc. Oh - I picked up the adapter for 8 bucks (free shipping, too!). Can't get much cheaper than that...http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00000J3SA/103-8240915-7079005

But I'm with you, instastella - a comprehensive piece of organizational software for music transfer would be really cool.

Mark R Penn
12-03-2002, 12:30 PM
Could those who have "another way" let us know what it is!! I'm with intastella in wanting something more efficient than cut, copy and paste.

I've speeded it up a bit by adding the CF card (via card reader) to my send to right click menu, but it does not help with deleting files already on there, or with space left etc.

Cheers,

Mark

FredMurphy
12-03-2002, 12:44 PM
I was in the middle of writing a simple piece of software to do this when I only had a 48MB CF card and knowing how much more would fit was a bigger issue than organising what was on there.

Never got round to finishing it I'm afraid! Just use explorer (and a PCMCIA to CF coverter).