View Full Version : Does WiFi work with Axim?!?

ttime4four
12-02-2002, 11:54 PM
I was at a Dell kiosk today to get my grubby hands around an Axim as I wait -- along with most everyone else -- until my unit ships. BTW -- that's supposed to be by 12/17.

I had a few questions for the rep (IMHO they need to train these people better).

Question 1. What will the new 3400 battery look like on the back? They showed me a web site that had the specs at about .25" thicker than the original 1440. About twice the weight as well.

Question 2. What about WiFi capabilities. She said the units DO NOT WORK WITH 802.11 YET. I haven't seen this anywhere on this and other message boards -- did I miss this? I'm assuming that if this is indeed a problem, it will be fixed with some sort of patch. :?:

Question 3. Any better discounts than the $50 rebate? She said if I bundled other items in the order to reach $500 -- there was another $50 discount available. I already got my 10% after buying a coupon code on eBay.

Anyway -- still haven't canceled my order.

Lastly -- I'm still impressed with the Axim after looking it over. Fits well in the hand and the rubberized sides help with the overall grip. Other people have posted that the stylus is flat -- seems like we can get used to it. Also, I noticed the rubber "feet" on the back -- this should help keep it in place when placed on a dash or flat surface. Notice NO screen flicker but the D-Pad seemed a bit "loose" -- need to see this at work.

My $0.02

jornadaholic
12-03-2002, 12:58 AM
when you asked the rep about wifi capapilities did you mean would it work with 802.11 cf cards or did u mean integrated like the e740 the rep prob though you were talking about integrated wifi which is "rumored" to be comming out on later versions of the axim it should work with all existing wifi cf cards

Fzara
12-03-2002, 01:48 AM
She's lying. Go to to the 360 product demo, switch the product a good 180 degrees, click on the CF Slot, and it'll tell you it'll work with the Bluetooth and Dell's TrueMobile 802.11 network, and prolly other networks too.

ThomasC22
12-03-2002, 02:44 AM
I have my 802.11b card working just fine in it so don't worry :)

Drexman
12-03-2002, 07:19 AM
Can you sync with Activesync using a WiFi CF card? Have not tried it before and may be interested

Janak Parekh
12-03-2002, 04:59 PM
Can you sync with Activesync using a WiFi CF card? Have not tried it before and may be interested
Yes, you can. There was an article here on PPCThoughts on precisely this, check the archives. A tool called "Pocket Hosts" is particularly helpful in this task.

--bdj

masseym
12-07-2002, 12:29 AM
What wiFi card are you using? Im trying to find one to use with my new Dell Axim :D

Thanks!

Roosterman
12-08-2002, 04:48 AM
I have purchased the Linksys WCF12 and it works great. Had a little trouble getting it connected, forgot that I set the wireless hub/router as infastructure and set the WCF as adhoc :oops: . Once that was straightened out no prob. Only thing is the wireless card is a battery hog. Did 2.5 straight hours of internet browsing and it drained the battery to 20%. 8O . Otherwise battery seems to be good for around 8 hours if you don't do a lot of heavy use.

style26062
12-08-2002, 11:26 PM
I just ordered my Axim on Friday. This is my first PPC. I heard I might be waiting awhile so I've been doing my homework.

Wifi and memory are the hardest to pin down. I've heard several people here have the LinkSys WCF12, and that it works with the Axim. It seems like this card is a great value, but may drain the battery faster than other cards. Is there anywhere on the web that one could find a detailed comparison of different WIFI cf cards?

Same goes for memory. I know the cf is cheap, but It would be nice to have the SD with wireless cf. How do they compare performance wise?

:?:

ttime4four
12-10-2002, 11:42 AM
I too have been seeing posts on the battery life issue with Linksys. I just got a Symbol card and my Axim is due to arrive tomorrow. I'll post some comparable battery drain numbers when it's set up.

style26062
12-10-2002, 07:42 PM
my Axim is due to arrive tomorrow.

When did you order and how did you have it shipped?

mtiffee
12-11-2002, 01:22 AM
I got a Netgear MA701 card and it works great.. My only complaint is that it sticks out kinda far. There's about a 1/4" gap between the top of the PDA and the bottom of the CF card.

ActiveSync works great via WiFi as well as wireless. I'd be interested in knowing if any other CF cards fit better on the Axim.

Mike

ttime4four
12-11-2002, 02:57 PM
my Axim is due to arrive tomorrow.

When did you order and how did you have it shipped?

Ordered 11/21 -- 400mhz w/travel cord (applied 10% off coupon obtained on ebay for $5) :wink:
In "Production" 11/23
"Shipped" on 12/6 -- actually this is just getting a tracking number from UPS
Actually shipped on 12/9 -- UPS ground from Salt Lake City
To be delivered on 12/11 -- Portland Oregon :lol:

I signed up to get the shipping notification email -- have not yet seen that.

To make things worse, I'm in London on business and won't actually see the unit until 12/14. :(

More to follow after charging, synching, testing & recovery from jet lag.