View Full Version : Problem using Large (512 Meg) CF card with my iPAQ

John Hung
12-02-2002, 09:36 AM
I observe the following phenom and I am puzzled. When my 512M Viking CF card is in the sleeve, I can't open Pocket Word, Pocket Excel, and CodeWallet Pro 3.5. The screen is just stuck, but as soon as I remove the CF card the aforementioned programs are loaded. Other programs seem to work well with no problem. I tried the CF card with a couple different sleeves and the same problem occurs. I have no problem when I use my 128M CF card.

I can't remember if I have the same problem with my microdrive (the drive is out of commission right now so I can't try until tomorrow using my friend's Microdrive).

Anyone else has the same experience? If I have to I will remove the CF card in order to use these programs, but I do not believe it is normal and hopefully I can find a solution to this issue.

Thanks,

John

Unreal32
12-06-2002, 04:21 PM
It has to do with a file called ignore_my_docs or some such... I've encountered this, and I still see it on occasion. What it is, I think, is that your PPC is looking for files in all areas... in MyDocuments, AND in your storage card, which has a slower seek time.

However... I don't know a fix for it. Anyone else?

rapidnet_rick
12-06-2002, 04:26 PM
I too have noticed this same issue after Flashing the Rom, and EUU3...

It seems that if I remove the card while any of these programs are at the busy icon, the program opens right up.

The part that bothers me is that I never had this problem before the update. Previous, these programs would take some time to open, BUT they would open...now they do not.

Also, I have the tried setting the option in Wordpad to

Save to: Main Memory
Display in List view: Pocket Word Only

These setting used to help, but now I can not just open wordpad, and browse...

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

:cry:

rapidnet_rick
12-06-2002, 05:18 PM
It seems the default for Wordpad looks in ALL folders, everywhere....

So, here is what you do....

remove the memory card... You can then browse all folders...

The default view is,

"ALL Folders"

With the memory card removed change this view to just

"My Documents"...either on your storage card, or on main memory...

They both work..

Now, change the options in wordpad as to use your storage card...Now, just pick the correct folder...(Where ever you want....)

DO NOT set the view to ALL folders...(Otherwise, your PPC runs just like a Computer with Office 9x and FindFast, anyone remember??)

It seems that ANY memory card installed with the default view of "All Folders" causes this problem.... and it is a problem, because it NEVER comes back.....ITask quits working too...

(So, you can only kill the hung programs from "Settigns, Memory, Running Programs" then choose the program...finally stop...)

So, if you follow this for each app(Notepad, Wordpad, Pocket Exel:

You should be fine....Give it a try...

:D

John Hung
12-06-2002, 06:36 PM
I got my answer in another forum. Basically it is the ignore_my_docs file that gets put into the flash card as a hidden file. You can't see the file when you view with pocket pc, but if you put the card into a computer you can see the file. This file tells the program to look through all the folders for the appropriate files, not just My Documents folder.

I tried with changing the setting in individual programs to look for only speicifc types of files to no avail. Deleting ignore_my_docs file did the trick. I have no problem opening the programs now. I guess the only drawback is that I will have to make sure I put my files in My Documents folder to make them visible to the program, and it is a small price to pay for not having to remove my CF flash card each time.

Dave Beauvais
12-06-2002, 09:59 PM
... Basically it is the ignore_my_docs file that gets put into the flash card as a hidden file. You can't see the file when you view with pocket pc, but if you put the card into a computer you can see the file. ...
Please see my post (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=23487#23487) in another thread which shows how you can view (and delete) such hidden files on the Pocket PC itself without the need for a PC or card reader.

--Dave