View Full Version : How to use the Terminal Client on your PocketPC 2002 with Windows XP Professional's Remote Desktop

renz
12-01-2002, 05:59 PM
How to use the Terminal Client on your PocketPC 2002 with Windows XP Professional's Remote Desktop via the cradle, with an active USB Connection

Please note

I have a German version of Windows XP Professional and an iPAQ 3850 with PocketPC 2002 OS, 1.20 with EUU 3. I have translated the names of all screens to the best of my knowledge. Please correct me if you have an English version running and see the correct names. Thank you. :)

How to get an IP address, so that you can connect to the PC

The first thing to make sure is that your PC with Windows XP has an IP address assigned. If you are not connected to the Internet or a local network you need to install the "Microsoft Loopback Adapter" and assign an IP address to this virtual network card. Go to Start > System Settings > Hardware to add a new hardware. Choose "Network adapter" from the list and select "Microsoft Loopback Adapter". This installs a virtual network card that is always connected. In the network settings you can then assign an IP address to this adapter. I have assigned "192.168.0.1", it is the first local IP address. To check this, click on Start > Run, enter "cmd" to open a command window and enter "ipconfig". This will show you your current IP addresses. If you see "IP Address ... 192.168.0.1" somewhere you are ok.

How to allow remote access from your PocketPC

The second thing to do is to allow Remote Access on your Windows XP computer. Go to Start > System Settings > System and choose the "Remote" tab. Enable the "Remote Support", click on "Advanced" and allow "Remote Control" of this desktop. Next, in the lower half of the "Remote" tab, allow users a remote connection. Please note the "complete desktop name", as it will be needed later to connect to this desktop. Click on "Select Remote User". Add the user that is active when you have your PocketPC connected via ActiveSync. The user must be of the user group "Administrators" or "Remote User". Log on to Windows XP with the user you just entered, if you havenīt done so already.

How to start the remote access via the terminal client

Establish an ActiveSync connection and let the PocketPC sync. When you are done, open the terminal client on the PocketPC. Enter the "complete desktop name" that you have seen on the "Remote" tab of the "System" control. Click on connect. If you want you can limit the size of the server desktop (your XP desktop) to the size of the PocketPC screen. Now your PocketPC takes over and you see the typical Windows logon window. Enter the name of the user you allowed remote access (remember: itīs the one with the current ActiveSync connection). Enter the password you addigned to that user. Click on "Login" and you take over the session from your PC. You can give it back to the PC by Clicking on Start > Disconnect.

One thing I have not found out is how to enable sound. Perhaps you have an idea?

Closing thoughts

In case you wonder why I tried to figure this out ... just because! With the USB connection it really does not make much sense to control the PC from your PocketPC. I just saw the terminal client and wanted to figure out how to use it. The scenario where it makes sense is if you have a wireless LAN card in your PocketPC, or even BlueTooth. You could sit with your PocketPC in your living room and have the power of your PC at hand.

Have big fun on the small screen!

Renz :D

Dave Beauvais
12-01-2002, 07:37 PM
I put together a little mini how-to a few weeks ago to show how I access my WinXP Pro boxes via the Terminal Services Client on my Wi-Fi-enabled e740. It should work the same for any Pocket PC 2002 with a network connection of some sort. You can read it here (http://www.beauvais1.com/ppc/ppc_term_svcs). Note that this only covers accessing other PCs on your local network; it does not cover accessing those boxes via the Internet.

--Dave

renz
12-01-2002, 08:04 PM
Hi Dave,
I guess I should have searched the web a little longer :wink:

Still: the idea with the Loopbackadapter is important to get an IP address if you just play around with the USB connected cradle.

By the way ... in the meantime I was able to use the Windows Media Encoder 9 to broadcase live stream from my TV card to my iPAQ. Cool!

Now I just need to get some wireless LAN cards !

Thanks for the feedback! Renz :D