View Full Version : Welcome Back Ricochet

Jason Dunn
12-01-2002, 04:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.msnbc.com/news/840116.asp?0dm=N12LT' target='_blank'>http://www.msnbc.com/news/840116.asp?0dm=N12LT</a><br /><br /></div>It looks like Ricochet is slowing being brought back online by Aerie Networks. Slow but steady steps, and $44.95 for flat-rate pricing. And the speed? I've seen it work at up to 200 Kbps, and some people have had even hotter signals. Now I know this is a technically a wireless LAN technology, but if you live in a city that's completely blanketed by signal, and you can get 150+ Kbps anywhere for $44.95 a month, doesn't GPRS suddenly look a little sad? :? <br /><br />"It’s been a year and a half since the owners of my favorite wireless service pulled the plug on Ricochet - a wireless wide-area network (WAN) that promised 176kbps but really provided speeds rivaling DSL. I’m happy to report that the Ricochet network is now being resurrected by Aerie Networks. And after a weekend back on their network I can proudly say “welcome back”."

vincentsiaw
12-01-2002, 05:49 PM
hmmm, how does this richochet works, i mean they use the wi-fi signal, gprs or what? i still don't get it :?:

CoreyJF
12-01-2002, 07:12 PM
I would be a little more excited if I hadn't taken such a finacial bath Investing In Metricom aka Ricohet. I love the concept of a stong wireless player but a little anoyed they are going to get the start on the back of investors like me who helped buid ricohet's intial infestructure.

Janak Parekh
12-01-2002, 08:57 PM
hmmm, how does this richochet works, i mean they use the wi-fi signal, gprs or what? i still don't get it :?:
It's a proprietary packet data protocol that works in the 800MHz band, if I remember correctly. It's not Wi-Fi, came out before GPRS or 1xRTT, so it's definitely not those.

And consider - 200Kbps 2 years ago! It was something else back then. Too bad it didn't have coverage deployed yet in Long Island where I lived before they pulled the plug. I had friends with the service, it was amazing to see it working.

--bdj

Bob Anderson
12-02-2002, 02:16 AM
I would gladly trade in my Verizon Express Network connection for this service... I like competition; it will keep the prices and service about as "honest" as we can hope for in this Capitalist environment!!!

Ainvar
12-02-2002, 04:41 AM
I had it briefly here in ATL Ga and boy was it nice inside the prerimeter and in Marietta. I had about 240+ Kbps downstream and about 100+ upstream. I had the GS wireless modem that could be connected via USB/Serial to your laptop. I loved it when it worked I never had an issue and I could actually play online games with it without an issue or download large files. I can not wait till it is back here in the good ole ATL and maybe with some new technology to help it along.

howardholton
12-02-2002, 07:37 PM
The new owners of Ricochet should be able to keep afloat - the m-t-m pricing of 44.95 is fantastic and they bought the company and its assets for pennies. Currently available in San Diego and Denver I cannot wait til it comes to the LA area.