View Full Version : X5 is here :)

bjctsm3
11-30-2002, 12:59 AM
Received the Axim today in Toronto...

I ordered on Cdn website on 11-20, received it today 11-29. The
website's ETA was 12-3 so this was a surprise! No rebate form in the box (but was on the packing slip) so have to d/l and print.

It's being charged right now and I compared it with my Casio E125. It 'looks' smaller because of the tapered and rounded sides......cell-phone like battery means no more loose E125 battery in the back cover problem!!

Question: Can I have both sync-ing to the same PC :?: Should I un-install the previous ActiveSync :?:

Thanks.

Roosterman
11-30-2002, 03:03 AM
You Canadians get every thing :) . I ordered on the 18th wasn't shipped until the 26th. Arrived at the local UPS location on the 27th. Of course the union has the place shut down till Monday :x . Of course I'll be at work so it won't be till Monday night that I get it. As far as your question, I would think you'd be better off with the latest version that came with the Axim.

yunez
11-30-2002, 09:21 AM
i ordered on the 18th and i still dont have mine! damn vancouver sucks!!

Kati Compton
11-30-2002, 04:38 PM
i ordered on the 18th and i still dont have mine! damn vancouver sucks!!

Yeah - but at least you can get your milk in jugs like NORMAL people, and not in those bags.... ;) ;) ;)

yunez
11-30-2002, 10:06 PM
i can get em in plastic bags too!

Kati Compton
11-30-2002, 10:19 PM

Really? I was at a Safeway in Vancouver to get my Aero bars and Coke with real sugar and I didn't see the milk bags...

My husband has a friend in Calgary who works at a grocery store and he said that they only now started carrying the bags-o-milk.

enemy2k2
12-01-2002, 03:45 AM

Really? I was at a Safeway in Vancouver to get my Aero bars and Coke with real sugar and I didn't see the milk bags...

My husband has a friend in Calgary who works at a grocery store and he said that they only now started carrying the bags-o-milk.

We've had the litre milk bags forever here in Vancouver, same for the four litre jugs. Those 1.89L cartons as well. I actually knew a guy who used to work as a milkman here as well, I was surprised about that! Cool huh? Sorry for the off-topicness :oops:

Steven Cedrone
12-01-2002, 04:07 AM
We've had the litre milk bags forever here in Vancouver, same for the four litre jugs. Those 1.89L cartons as well. I actually knew a guy who used to work as a milkman here as well, I was surprised about that! Cool huh? Sorry for the off-topicness :oops:

Big brother is watchin' you... :wink:

Steve

butch
12-01-2002, 09:26 PM
How the screen of the Axim compare to the E125? I have an e115 and the reason i've upgraded yet is mainly for the screen.

Thanks

bjctsm3
12-02-2002, 01:17 PM
The Casio screens are great, too bad they are don't have products in the running anymore here in North America.
So far, I've only used the Axim indoors, and it is definitely sharper than
the E125. At max brightness, the E125 is brighter than the Dell... I compared when the both are on internal battery with the dails set at max.
(I will try to take a pic and post it)

TTYL

BoiseNative
12-04-2002, 12:03 AM
My wife called me at work to say that my Axim just arrived at home!
The problem is that she's hiding it until Christmas. My mission...find it tonight!

Rirath
12-04-2002, 12:10 AM
I suggest stopping by the pet shop and getting a bloodhound.

GoldKey
12-04-2002, 12:18 AM
If she is not too techno savy, tell her you need to synch it within 5 days of receipt to activate it otherwise it will not work.

Or say you need it to do the rebate.

Or just say you NEED IT!

butch
12-04-2002, 12:34 AM
Or, make a deal, for every 5 minutes you can have the Axim, give her a rose. Both of you will be happy :way to go:

Jhokur2k
12-04-2002, 02:07 AM
Actually the rebate trick should work - gotta send it in before it expires :lol:

Rirath
12-04-2002, 03:26 AM
Or, make a deal, for every 5 minutes you can have the Axim, give her a rose. Both of you will be happy

Only if you reuse the same rose. Sleight of hand, much fun.

Rirath
12-05-2002, 05:31 AM
I have no idea how... but my Axim is charging right now. I'm stunned. I came home from class and found out UPS had come around 8:30pm. I'm shocked since I only ordered the free shipping... but Woohoo!

I thought I heard someone mention Chicago as a place of shipping... if so that's only 3 hours away. Might explain it. But still... 2 days from the day the site changed to the door? I'm impressed. Thankfully I've got tonight's episode of Taken to watch on TiVo while I wait. :D

Kati Compton
12-05-2002, 06:12 AM
Or, make a deal, for every 5 minutes you can have the Axim, give her a rose. Both of you will be happy :way to go:

Do you have any idea how much that would cost?? :) That's 320 roses a day...

butch
12-05-2002, 01:50 PM
Do you have any idea how much that would cost?? :) That's 320 roses a day...

hmmm where do you live? you have day of 26h 40m, I know a lot of people that want that!!!
Do you use a PocketPC when you sleep? I find that a really good deal, so he can use the pocketpc for a few hours, than put it back in the box and wait for christmas...

Roosterman
12-05-2002, 02:10 PM
I have no idea how... but my Axim is charging right now. I'm stunned. I came home from class and found out UPS had come around 8:30pm. I'm shocked since I only ordered the free shipping... but Woohoo!

I don't know if you remember or not but I offered to let you come up to Milwaukee and hold my Axim if yours didn't come soon. Would you be so kind as to offer the same to me? I am still waiting for mine to come even though it was "Out for delivery" on Monday. Actually, mine is back in Milwakee and "out for delivery" again. I hope UPS gets it right this time.

What do you think? Was it worth the wait for you? Is it all you had hoped for or do you wish you hadn't gone thru this HELL :evil: and bought something different?

GoldKey
12-05-2002, 02:20 PM
Just a little perspective. I know we all wanted to place our orders on the 18th and have it in our hands within a few days. Plus given that Dell had said that they would have plenty on hand for release, I can understand that any delay is frustrating. But, given how the new releases of other new models of Pocket PC's have gone, getting them within 2 1/2 weeks is really not that bad. Viewsonics were supposedly available around 2 months ago and alot of people still don't have those.

Kati Compton
12-05-2002, 03:27 PM
hmmm where do you live? you have day of 26h 40m, I know a lot of people that want that!!!
Do you use a PocketPC when you sleep? I find that a really good deal, so he can use the pocketpc for a few hours, than put it back in the box and wait for christmas...

That is math while tired. "Okay, how many '5 minutes' are there in an hour? 20, of course!"

Rirath
12-05-2002, 08:15 PM
I don't know if you remember or not but I offered to let you come up to Milwaukee and hold my Axim if yours didn't come soon. Would you be so kind as to offer the same to me? ...

What do you think? Was it worth the wait for you? Is it all you had hoped for or do you wish you hadn't gone thru this HELL and bought something different?

Wouldn't it be easier to go to the nearest kiosk? ^_^;

As for the Axim... keep in mind I've only had one night to use it so far. Personally, I like the stylus. Maybe it's just becaues the J525 had a flat stylus too and I'm used to it. The tip feels like some sort of rubber or soft plastic to me, should help save on the screen.

It does indeed work perfect for gaming. All the buttons work together, and you can move in diagonals and push buttons at the same time. The buttons are indeed a little close, but it's easy to adjust to. The thumb pad works great, but I'm having a hard time pushing up or an upward diagonal. I'm sure I'll get used to it in time, but it's a little tricky. Left/right/down is effortless. Probably just the angle of my hand.

The speaker has a pretty loud volume, and clarity good. There's no squelching or anything like that. Of course, it's just a tiny speaker so you can't expect much. The headphone jack surprised me, it was nearly twice as loud and clear as the J525. Sounded identical to my PC's Soundblaster Live and Audigy cards. I tried out Pocket TV, both Classic and Ent. On a video I got 7 FPS with the Jornada, the Axim gave me 24 FPS. 24.xx some frames on the Ent, 23.xx on the Classic. Pocket Divx seemed to work like a charm too, didn't notice any dropped frames. The vidoes are tiny and low bitrate though, I'll encode some higher ones later.

Snails has never been this much fun. :D

Xyress
12-05-2002, 10:52 PM
Rirath - did you notice the thread over at PocketPCThoughts where someone mentions problems with the right direction on the D-pad? I didn't notice any problems except for the closeness of the buttons when I tested it at the mall kiosk.

I'm hoping that it's either a handful of defects or user error :D

Roosterman
12-05-2002, 11:11 PM
Finally, my baby is HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D After it's cross country excursion it has arrived at its new home and it is absoultely beautiful. About the same size as my Handspring Visor and seems lighter. Only 3 hours and 45 minutes till I can play.

Rirath
12-06-2002, 03:18 AM
Rirath - did you notice the thread over at PocketPCThoughts where someone mentions problems with the right direction on the D-pad? I didn't notice any problems except for the closeness of the buttons when I tested it at the mall kiosk.

I'm hoping that it's either a handful of defects or user error

I'm getting nervous... I'm having real trouble with the nav button and the up direction. To get it to move up, I have to press the button pretty far down into the machine, which usually just clicks the action instead... it takes a few tries. Now, if this is normal I can deal and get used to it, but if not :evil:.

Anyone else having problems? Also, my nav button is off center a bit.. to the left of the device... odd? Eh... at any rate I've got a red mark on my thumb now from running it over that Dell logo all day. It makes the device look spiffy, but ouch. I'd sure hate to have to send it in, considering the current backorder. Everything else is perfect so oh well.

Janak Parekh
12-06-2002, 03:34 AM
I'm getting nervous... I'm having real trouble with the nav button and the up direction. To get it to move up, I have to press the button pretty far down into the machine, which usually just clicks the action instead... it takes a few tries. Now, if this is normal I can deal and get used to it, but if not :evil:.
Well, hopefully it's just stiff and needs "breaking-in". Otherwise, wait after the holidays and then call in - hopefully exchanges will be expedited once all the pre-orders are taken care of.

--bdj

Rirath
12-06-2002, 03:38 AM
Indeed, hoping that it just needs broken in and getting used to. At least it does work. I completely love this thing.

Jhokur2k
12-07-2002, 06:14 AM
While mine works effortlessly, pushing up is softer than the other directions, with no noticeable "click" to the action.

Janak Parekh
12-07-2002, 07:47 AM
Indeed, hoping that it just needs broken in and getting used to. At least it does work. I completely love this thing.
Well, after a J525 it's easy to love, eh? The XScale must feel blazingly fast. :lol:

--bdj

Rirath
12-07-2002, 08:53 AM
Well, after a J525 it's easy to love, eh? The XScale must feel blazingly fast.

Indeed. ^_^; I'm still in awe of this fancy smancy Yuu-Es-Bee technology. I hated syncing over serial. No more 8bit screen, no more sub 100 mhz, no more out dated OS, no more flipcover (I for one am glad about that), finally a built in stylus holder, finally a nav button, SD slot, etc, etc.

BoiseNative
12-08-2002, 04:20 AM
My sweet wife let me open my Axim before Christmas! She says I can't officially use it as my main PPC until after Christmas. Fair enough!

Here are some comparison photos that I really wanted to see, but I've not seen anyone post something like this type...a comparison of an Axim and an iPaq 3135 with the sleeve on. I think this is the fairest way to compare the two units since to use a CF card, the iPaq has to have the sleeve on. So many people have called the Axim a brick, but as you can see it's smaller than the iPaq with the sleeve on.

http://home.mindspring.com/~enelson5/121-2104_IMG.JPGhttp://home.mindspring.com/~enelson5/121-2106_IMG.JPG
http://home.mindspring.com/~enelson5/121-2114_IMG.JPGhttp://home.mindspring.com/~enelson5/121-2121_IMG.JPG
http://home.mindspring.com/~enelson5/121-2122_IMG.JPGhttp://home.mindspring.com/~enelson5/121-2123_IMG.JPG
http://home.mindspring.com/~enelson5/121-2124_IMG.JPGhttp://home.mindspring.com/~enelson5/121-2125_IMG.JPG

Xyress
12-08-2002, 04:42 AM
Great pictures! Thanks for posting those. :way to go:

Rirath
12-08-2002, 04:43 AM
Wow, great pics. Finally with CF sleeve. Puts many larger sites and their shots to shame. :wink:

mscdex
12-08-2002, 07:46 AM
I wish new PocketPCs like the Axim would have a sliding cover for the bottom connector like the casio e-1xx's had. This is nice to have just in case something may damage the connector.

enemy2k2
12-08-2002, 02:26 PM
Thanks for the pictures! You read my mind, I had been waiting for something like that! :D