View Full Version : Toshiba e740NW ???

ttime4four
11-28-2002, 05:55 AM
Does anyone know what the e740NW is? I just saw it at costco.com for $399 (no rebates).

http://www.costco.com/frameset.asp?trg=product%2Easp&catid=84&subid=3101&hierid=3102&prdid=10024153&log=

Do you also know if this version has the prior e740 issues resolved?

Thanks...

Duncan
11-28-2002, 10:55 AM
NW stands for (believe it or not!) 'No Wireless'. It is the 'vanilla' e740 with neither WiFi nor Bluetooth installed.

Steven Cedrone
11-28-2002, 02:18 PM
NW stands for (believe it or not!) 'No Wireless'. It is the 'vanilla' e740 with neither WiFi nor Bluetooth installed.

Wouldn't that make it a e330? :wink:

Steve

Duncan
11-28-2002, 02:25 PM
No. An e330 would be an e330...

Steven Cedrone
11-28-2002, 02:27 PM
Duncan, it was a joke...

Duncan
11-28-2002, 02:30 PM
I know - my response was intended to be dry humour (there isn't a smilie for that is there?! :) )

Steven Cedrone
11-28-2002, 02:43 PM
We'll have to see if we can find a cool "dry humour smiley"... :wink:

spursdude
11-28-2002, 09:31 PM
well now more seriously...

an e740 without wireless wouldn't be half bad. no wireless to drain your battery, and you still have a great form with dual slots, the ATI video processor, and an x-scale processor. (although the x-scale is for sure underwhelming)

ThomasC22
11-28-2002, 10:00 PM

an e740 without wireless wouldn't be half bad. no wireless to drain your battery, and you still have a great form with dual slots, the ATI video processor, and an x-scale processor. (although the x-scale is for sure underwhelming)

But keep in mind the Axim also has virtually the same form factor (and from someone who's had both I like the Axim more because of the rubber grips on the side), same dual slots, no ATI video processor (which is a plus not a minus), and a faster xscale processor. All that for $100 less!

Oh, and Axim's display is WAY better

spursdude
11-28-2002, 10:42 PM

But keep in mind the Axim also has virtually the same form factor (and from someone who's had both I like the Axim more because of the rubber grips on the side), same dual slots, no ATI video processor (which is a plus not a minus), and a faster xscale processor. All that for $100 less!

Oh, and Axim's display is WAY better

Are you sure they're the same form factor? The Dell is listed as .7 as opposed to .6, but also the Dell looks a lot bigger from the photos.

What's the plus about not having an ATI video processor?

And is the Axim's processor faster? I know they're both 400mhz, but does the Axim outperform the e740?

Yeah OK you win on the price and display. :D

ThomasC22
11-28-2002, 11:11 PM
Are you sure they're the same form factor? The Dell is listed as .7 as opposed to .6, but also the Dell looks a lot bigger from the photos.

What's the plus about not having an ATI video processor?

And is the Axim's processor faster? I know they're both 400mhz, but does the Axim outperform the e740?

Size wise .1" doesn't make that much difference, plus the Axim has rubber grips which, to my hand, made if tell thinner. It is no where near as thick as it looked in a lot of those pics though (It's identical to the em-500 if you ever saw one of those)

The ATI Processor I took the Divx multimedia benchmarks (http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/toshiba_e740.htm) as my test bed here (although for the short time I personally owned one I found it to react very slowly video wise)

The processor I mis-spoke. It's all the sports today, it's rotting the tehno-geek part of my brain :D

Covert
11-30-2002, 07:37 PM
Hmm, I could have saved some money by getting this model - I have an e740 but I never use the Wi-Fi. I didn't know they were going to sell this model in the U.S...

heov
12-01-2002, 05:54 AM
Size wise .1" doesn't make that much difference, plus the Axim has rubber grips which, to my hand, made if tell thinner. It is no where near as thick as it looked in a lot of those pics though (It's identical to the em-500 if you ever saw one of those)

Sure .1" makes a difference in the Pocket PC world... .6 to .7 is a 17% increase... People consider the palm m500 and others a thinner handheld at .5", but the Axim is considered a brick @ .7"... It migh tnot make a difference to you, cause i don't know if you put it in your pocket, but it makes a difference to many people...

Also, the dell is really 350 with a 50 dollar rebate; that rebate will expire probably within a month... though right now it seemd dell's got it beat...

Also, the dell is bigger, doesn't have SDIO (plus it's on the side, but i guess since it's not SDIO it really makes no difference), doesn't have USB host features, and isn't made of metal, Plus, i think that the button layout of the toshiba is better the axim ;)

but the axim's got the better screen and support, and of course, price, and not to forget the extra 16mb of ROM...

Covert
12-01-2002, 06:30 AM
Plus, i think that the button layout of the toshiba is better the axim ;)
If only the buttons on the e740 were useful for playing games at all... :(

acquadi
01-21-2003, 01:24 AM
According to the dell website, if it's a similar product, it is actually around 370 to 400 dollars as well for a non-wireless and non-bluetooth. the 250 dollar one is for 300mhz cpu, if you want the 400mhz one, it's 100 dollars more. Plus that toshiba offers both serial and usb connection with caddle, that could have been 50 dollars already(although dell only got to choose one: usb or serial for 30 dollars), and no standard case/cover for the dell PDA??

Price does not mean anything. Just like toshiba e740nw to e740, one is 500 after rebate and one is 350 after rebate. Do people really need bluetooth?? and wireless card is 50 dollars now a day just that you lost an expension slot while the card is plug into the unit. As for bluetooth, how many high tech stuff people have got bluetooth and willing to use them? They are expensive and not as common as a 56k modem or 10/100 ethernet.

For that 350 at costco, I think it is a good deal

beckp
01-21-2003, 03:25 AM
$500 after rebate is a bit off..... i just got my e740 at Harmony Computers for $439 including shipping then take $100 rebate on top of that. $349 for a e740 is tough to beat. I was going to get the e740 NW at Costco but after shipping and tax (they charge sales tax for on-line purchases) it was at $400 bucks, not such a great deal afterall. Harmony Computers did right by me for on;ine purchase, got it in less than a week. New non-recall serials.

redifrogger
01-21-2003, 07:02 PM
Ditto that - right now @ comp-u-plus you can get an e740 for $338 after the rebate.

tranctk
01-26-2003, 07:00 PM
I noticed that Toshiba currently has a $100 rebate for its pocket pc e740. Does anyone know if this applies to the e740NW also? Thanks. KT

beckp
01-27-2003, 02:23 PM
No it does not, which makes the e740 a better buy than the e740 NW. I don't use the WiFi yet but it's nice to know I have it.

dotcomguy
02-01-2003, 09:17 PM
Ditto that - right now @ comp-u-plus you can get an e740 for $338 after the rebate.
In fact, I just got mine from their a few days ago. :) (though it was $445 for me and is now up to $465)
I was going to get the e740 NW at Costco but after shipping and tax (they charge sales tax for on-line purchases) it was at $400 bucks, not such a great deal afterall. Harmony Computers did right by me for on;ine purchase, got it in less than a week. New non-recall serials.
Exactly, there really isn't enough of a difference for it to be worth getting one without wireless. I am not able to utilize the wireless capabilities of my new e740, however I may be able to a few months from now or later. I plan for this to last me awhile, and also just having those wireless features 'just in case' is nice. :)

Kiyoshi
05-18-2003, 02:57 PM
I know this an old thread and everything, but I felt like ranting.

I bought a e740 through eBay for $300. Now I get it almost two weeks later, cuz the guy had to buy it from a store and ship it to him and then ship it to me. But when I open the package it was shipped in, it's a e740-NW!!!!! I just completely wasted my money. I don't think I'm going to trust eBay anymore. I'm trying to figure out how to compensate for this loss, any suggestions? here's some of my options I thought of:

1. Waste more money on a CF Wi-Fi card
2. Use less money and use BlueTooth to use the internet
3. Sell it on eBay and take the hit
4. Just keep it and deal with the loss

I didn't have a Wi-Fi network up when I got this, but I was planning on setting one up so that me and someone else in my house could use the internet anywhere in the house. Now I don't think I should go through with the network and I'm trying to figure out how to deal with this.

dotcomguy
05-19-2003, 03:46 AM
I know this an old thread and everything, but I felt like ranting.

I bought a e740 through eBay for $300. Now I get it almost two weeks later, cuz the guy had to buy it from a store and ship it to him and then ship it to me. But when I open the package it was shipped in, it's a e740-NW!!!!! I just completely wasted my money. I don't think I'm going to trust eBay anymore. I'm trying to figure out how to compensate for this loss, any suggestions? here's some of my options I thought of:

1. Waste more money on a CF Wi-Fi card
2. Use less money and use BlueTooth to use the internet
3. Sell it on eBay and take the hit
4. Just keep it and deal with the loss

I didn't have a Wi-Fi network up when I got this, but I was planning on setting one up so that me and someone else in my house could use the internet anywhere in the house. Now I don't think I should go through with the network and I'm trying to figure out how to deal with this.
That's terrible. :( I'm not sure what I would do in your situation. This is one of the reasons I wouldn't buy such things on Ebay.

If you got it on ebay for $300, perhaps you could sell it for slightly less. You'd lose a little, but then you would be able to get the real thing and not lose all of the $300. I don't know if Ebay could help, if the product wasn't advertised properly or something, but that would probably be difficult. Have you contacted the seller regarding this?

eddyb121
08-12-2003, 07:21 PM
i have the e70-nw and i would like to use the 802.11b, is there a expansion pack or something that would allow me to use it?

Kiyoshi
08-13-2003, 03:27 PM
Jeez, this is an old thread.

You can buy a Wi-Fi Compactflash Card for around $30. Keep an eye on weekly Sunday ads from CompUSA, BestBuy, and Circuit City. I got mine for $70 I think with a $40 rebate.