View Full Version : Synchronization with exchange server

kneofyte
11-26-2002, 10:47 PM
Hi,

Is there any way of synchronizing the context of a remote microsoft exchange server and the pocket pc phone without having to install MIS. The comapany hosting the exchange server apparently doesnot have MIS installed. They told me that I could send and receive mail through POP but cannot synchronize the mail. Any solution to this problem or third party software available?

AdrianP
11-27-2002, 01:09 PM
I asked the forum that exact same question, being faced with the same annoying problem...

It looks like it is not easily possible, unless you can persuade your administrator to enable a POP3 e-mail service. :(

I have an O2 XDA and have been using a trial version of a piece of software called O2 XMail which sits on your desktop computer and your Pocket PC. If the desktop computer is logged into the Exchange server, you can remotely access your desktop computer from your Pocket PC to get your e-mails either from Pocket Outlook or your Pocket Internet Explorer (and also your calendar, your contacts etc and v. usefully any documents on your desktop computer). You can also set it up so that your XDA checks for new mail every say, 1/2 hour, or so that an SMS is sent to your XDA whenever a new e-mail arrives in your mailbox on the Exchange Server. Not sure how it works, but clever stuff. 8). You can sign up for the XMail trial at www.xmail.o2.co.uk.

Unfortunately, this is probably only a solution for the O2 XDA... :(

The other workaround would be to set up a rule so that all messages which arrive at your mailbox on the Exchange Server get forwarded to another e-mail account (POP3 compatible) which you can pick up from your Pocket PC... not nearly so good because you would have to, for example, delete all read e-mails twice.

I'd be v. interested if anyone else has worked out another solution...

Adrian

kneofyte
11-28-2002, 10:30 AM
Thanks Adrian for the reply. Even I am looking hard into this angle. But if you have a desktop running that actively syncs with your exchange server, then can't you network syn your ppc with your desktop without using third party software? I am looking at the situation where you dont need a desktop running all the time. But if this is the last alternative, then I am ready to jump into it. My exchange server does support POP but I guess I cannot syn my outlook context. I can just send and receive mail if I am not wrong. I shall keep you posted on further developments.