View Full Version : Average file size of PPC apps?

sub_tex
11-26-2002, 10:33 PM
I'm about to develop a game for the PPC and am wondering what is a decent file size of an app for the PPC.

What is too big, what is great, what is average, etc.

thanks for the help.

mookie123
11-26-2002, 10:44 PM
well. if your game is to die for. I can spare 5-8MB. ...otherwise.......ehrrr... please think about using SD card or other external memory as swap. 20MB max. 40MB of SD card, the game better be something that has never been done before...! (cause I need to buy new SD. LOL)

PS. how come nobody has port SimTower yet? that game is perfect for PDA with stylus. It's slow enough pace doesn't need a lot of keyboarding/D-pad), got lots of cute picture, can save the game and continue later on..etc....(it's a perfect example of a game that should have been done on PDA instead of desktop)

I'll buy "micromanagement sim/God eye point of view" sort of game. Tropico, sim Zoo, The Sims....

There is something about watching little people running around inside little screen and you can prod it with stylus. lol

Rirath
11-26-2002, 11:30 PM
well. if your game is to die for. I can spare 5-8MB. ...otherwise.......ehrrr... please think about using SD card or other external memory as swap. 20MB max. 40MB of SD card, the game better be something that has never been done before...! (cause I need to buy new SD. LOL)

I'm trying to think of how a PPC game could require 20-40 megs. If Snails can be done using next to nothing, anything can. My advice: The smaller the better. No set amount, just make it as small as you can. If it's more than a meg, I need convincing it's good. Honestly man I'd just suggest you do a little research. Download some games from Handango, check the file sizes. If you're serious about this then that should be on your to do list. If you're just making your average VB hangman, check some freeware game sizes at places like FreewarePPC.com.

PS. how come nobody has port SimTower yet? that game is perfect for PDA with stylus. It's slow enough pace doesn't need a lot of keyboarding/D-pad), got lots of cute picture, can save the game and continue later on..etc....(it's a perfect example of a game that should have been done on PDA instead of desktop)

If I remember right, SimTower came out ages ago. Pocket PC's weren't even around then and desktops barely had the power to run such apps. :? I remember my desktop slowing down when I got the tower really cranking. As for why no one's ported it... a little thing called copyright?

mookie123
11-26-2002, 11:46 PM
If I remember right, SimTower came out ages ago. Pocket PC's weren't even around then and desktops barely had the power to run such apps. :? I remember my desktop slowing down when I got the tower really cranking. As for why no one's ported it... a little thing called copyright?

SimTower definitely uses less resource than Age of Empire or QuakeII. I also remember that cool DOS game... Deity? (you nurture little group of people and battling another race?) I run Simtower on 486, which couldn't even run QuakeII.

I also like Maxis A-train. That was the coolest. The graphic is nice, very engaging.

Deity, A-train, or sim-tower. are definitely type of game that scream to be implemented with stylus. (as oppose to shoot them up Quake type of game which need keyboard for fast pace game)

just my 2 cents.

Kati Compton
11-26-2002, 11:50 PM
SimTower definitely uses less resource than Age of Empire or QuakeII. I also remember that cool DOS game... Deity? (you nurture little group of people and battling another race?)

I liked Populous II.

Rirath
11-26-2002, 11:59 PM
SimTower definitely uses less resource than Age of Empire or QuakeII. I also remember that cool DOS game... Deity? (you nurture little group of people and battling another race?) I run Simtower on 486, which couldn't even run QuakeII.

Yes, but QuakeII has had the source released and AoE is pretty much a licensed title isn't it? Just the impression I was under. Besides, Q2 gets a mere couple of FPS, and a 486 would be lucky to run Q1 much less Q2... for as much as that has to do with anything. You can't really compare a 2d sim game to a second gen 3d poly shooter. (If you consider Q1-era games the first gen)