View Full Version : :?: Screen Transplant?

NetDragon
11-26-2002, 02:03 AM
:?: Hey all, I "had" an iPaq 3635 and it was in my jacket when my jacket went into the washing machine. Tried taking it totally apart and let it dry for several days but it smoked the board when we tried to connect the battery back up. I still have the unit but it is lifeless. I bought a 3150 black and white from a friend of mine. It is not upgradable to PPC 2002 but what bugs me more is that it is greyscale. Does anybody know if it is possible to take the screen wish DOES seem to be in working order from my broken 3635 and transplant it into the 3150? I am anxious to try, but my biggest concern is that it will blow the main board or something on the 3150 or something. If anybody knows if this will work or has done it please let me know. Thanks so much all,

- Jason

ThomasC22
11-26-2002, 05:13 AM
My first instinct would be no because the voltages would be different. That said, you should send an E-Mail off to these guys:

Times2Tech (http://www.pocketpctechs.com/)

These guys are good and they've been doing this for a while. I doubt they'd turn away an innocent request for info.

ThomasC22
11-26-2002, 05:14 AM
btw - If you are in the market for PPCRepairs/Upgrades these guys do great work...just wanted to make sure I said that :D

NetDragon
11-26-2002, 06:07 AM
Hey thanks for the info... I will contact them. I agree, you would think no. Not only that but I think the 3100 is slower. I do not know all the specs but ether the graphics controller is slower or the CPU is much slower. I am not sure. But I can say thanks to maybe ether of those 2 aspects of the 16 shjade grey scale screen the battery lasts weeks without recharging! ABout the only real PLUS I get out of the doggy old 3100.

- Jason

NetDragon
11-26-2002, 09:41 AM
Hey I already got a reply from that guy. He was really nice. Said that it is impossible. The connectors and stuff are totally different. Oh well. Will just have to save my pennies and go buy a new color PDA one of these days. Or get something used off eBay. But I really want to get a true PPC 2002 with the 65k color transreflective display and intigrated BT to go along with my Ericsson T68i. Only time will tell. I like the price tag on the Lower end Dell PPC.

- Jason

Pony99CA
11-26-2002, 01:35 PM
Hey thanks for the info... I will contact them. I agree, you would think no. Not only that but I think the 3100 is slower. I do not know all the specs but ether the graphics controller is slower or the CPU is much slower. I am not sure. But I can say thanks to maybe ether of those 2 aspects of the 16 shjade grey scale screen the battery lasts weeks without recharging! ABout the only real PLUS I get out of the doggy old 3100.

I really doubt that the 3100 is slower; I think both the 3100 and 3600 series used the 206 MHz StrongARM processor.

In fact, because the 3100 is only gray-scale, and therefore pushing fewer pixels, it should seem faster than the 3600, I'd think.

Steve

NetDragon
11-26-2002, 08:25 PM
Well I talked to the guy one more time. He said that it was physically impossible to connect the color screen to the 3150. The connector is totally different.

After doing a little research, you are right. It is a 206 Mhz CPU. So the slowness must be the cheaper graphics controller. But because it is slower I wouild assume that it consumes less power, just like it's screen.

Well I am just counting the days until I can go buy the Dell PDA.

- Jason

ThomasC22
11-26-2002, 09:03 PM
Hey I already got a reply from that guy. He was really nice. Said that it is impossible. The connectors and stuff are totally different. Oh well. Will just have to save my pennies and go buy a new color PDA one of these days. Or get something used off eBay. But I really want to get a true PPC 2002 with the 65k color transreflective display and intigrated BT to go along with my Ericsson T68i. Only time will tell. I like the price tag on the Lower end Dell PPC.

Just wanted to say it one more time, those guys at Times2Tech are really the best. They get your device upgraded fast, great customer service (I don't work for them btw :))

Anyway, sorry it didn't work for you NetDragon, but if you want to get a Dell sometime in the next year or so, I'd think about ordering soon!