View Full Version : Shuttle SB51G

Underwater Mike
11-25-2002, 07:02 PM
I know that Jason has one of the Shuttle XPC units, and I've decided that the same type of machine would be a good first-time DYI. (It'll be replacing a Compaq Presario 2700 notebook.) Thing is, I can;t decide which Shuttle box to get. :?

The SB51G (http://www.shuttleonline.com/specs2.asp?pro_id=85) is available now and supports hyperthreading. So, I could build it with an affordable 2.6/2.8 GHz P4 now, then upgrade to a HT processor once they get a bit cheaper AND there's code to exploit the hardware advantage. OTOH, the nVidia-based SN40 is still in the pipeline but will allow use of the Athlon chip, which should save me some coin.

I don't really need a new box yet, although I do want to sell my notebook before the warranty's up in FEB. For my purposes, I doubt there will be any noticable difference between a 2.8 P4 and an XP 2800 (which should be available by the time the nVidia-based XPC is released). That said, I would prefer to get the expense on this year's taxes.

Any recommendations as to that choice?

jpf
11-27-2002, 08:49 PM
To begin with the shuttle boxes are nice, in fact I want one.
Is it aesthetic reasons that made you choose a shuttle because you are restricting your options somewhat by choosing a 'small' profile box for your first DYI.
Having said that, I don't think it's going to make it any more difficult to use a shuttle but you MIGHT come across problems with say card 'x' being too big or connections being in the wrong place.
It's pointless waiting for a specific technology unless you absolutely must have the benefits as there will always be something faster around the corner. I personally would advise as close to what's the best as you can. Normally the highest 2 speed ratings for any chip are over-priced. So consider something below that.
Consider whether you wish to upgrade this machine in the future because if so you are probably better getting a standard sized case. There's plenty of attractive ones available. I'm inclined to think of shuttles as a once built; leave as is sort of machine. Not that that's a bad thing. Consider a PC as having a working life of 2 years. Things will have changed sufficiently in that 2 years to make virtually everything within that case obsolete (except for the case itself if you get an standard size).

Good luck

Underwater Mike
11-27-2002, 09:00 PM
Basically, yeah, it's the aesthetics. Since I'm ditching a notebook, I'd like something small and QUIET. Most of the mid-towers I've seen are huge and sound like my old Dell: turbine in a box. Plus, the Shuttle seems like a good deal, price-wise, versus buying a case and mobo separately.

Jason Dunn
11-27-2002, 10:39 PM
The Shuttle isn't as quiet as you might think...I replaced the standard fan with a new one, but it still isn't very quiet. My wife's Dell 4300S is much quieter...

Underwater Mike
11-27-2002, 10:42 PM
The Shuttle isn't as quiet as you might think...I replaced the standard fan with a new one, but it still isn't very quiet. My wife's Dell 4300S is much quieter...

Really? Well, would you recommend getting one, or should I just go with a micro- or flex-atx case and corresponding board? I don't need more than AGP and one PCI, assuming the mobo has all the other goodies onboard.

jpf
11-28-2002, 03:44 AM
check this review out:
http://www.lostcircuits.com/motherboard/shuttle_sb51g/

carphead
12-05-2002, 01:26 PM
None of the Shuttle's are very quiet. If you want quiet go for a full self build and if you want a nice looking machine buy a good case like Lian-Li.

I have a SS51 and a SV25 at home and both are quite a bit more noise than my IBM T23 Laptop.

I also have a homebuilt machine with a XP1700XP and every quiet fan I could find (5 of them) and the only way I know it's on is the power light and the DVD Writer has a fan in the back.

www.quietpc.com supply stuff to reduce noise on a standard PC.

PM me if you want to know anymore.