View Full Version : Perfect Smartphone?

ricksfiona
11-25-2002, 07:04 AM
I'm waiting for my version of the 'perfect' Windows smartphone. Here is what I'm looking for:

* GSM/GPRS
* Bluetooth
* SD Slot
* Size approximate to t68i
* Battery life approximate to t68i.

Does anyone know if something like this will be available anytime soon?

ThomasC22
11-25-2002, 07:26 AM
I'm waiting for my version of the 'perfect' Windows smartphone. Here is what I'm looking for:

* GSM/GPRS
* Bluetooth
* SD Slot

Nothing like that has been announced as of yet, assuming you want a device where you can use the Bluetooth AND SD Slot at the same time.

Otherwise the Samsung model (with SDIO Slot but no bluetooth according the the FCC site) should be available by March 2003

Pony99CA
11-25-2002, 12:05 PM

* GSM/GPRS
* Bluetooth
* SD Slot

I have no idea, but here's my wish list. :-)

* CDMA 1X RTT or EV-DO
* Bluetooth (for connecting with my iPAQ 3870)
* Clamshell design (I like the Star Trek look and the protected screen)
* Caller ID display on the back of the clamshell

With the exception of Bluetooth, the Samsung SCH-i600 (http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?id=186) looks like what I want. (That may be the phone ThomasC22 was describing, but I don't know -- come on, Thomas, post links. :-))

Steve

enemy2k2
11-25-2002, 12:19 PM
I want all of the things ricksfiona mentioned, and the last two items on Pony99CA's list.... now that would be cool!

shawnc
11-25-2002, 01:40 PM
Taste is such a subjective thing. I think the Samsung is a very nice looking phone and was very surprised that so many folks posting on this site thought it was ugly (see previous threads). Also, the idea of having an SD slot for MP'3 is exactly what I've been looking for in a phone. My problem is Sprint is my carrier and even if they ever get this phone I'll probably need to take out a 2nd mortgage to be able to afford it. :evil:

vetteguy
11-25-2002, 02:20 PM
<cynicism>You know what I'd like? A Smartphone that I could actually BUY. THAT is my dream device. </cynicism>

enemy2k2
11-25-2002, 07:53 PM
Now THIS would make the perfect SmartPhone IMHO:

http://www.siemensinfo.de/gallerysl55.htm

The Siemens SL55 from another thread, so tiny :D

I wan'it, I wan'it :twisted:

ThomasC22
11-25-2002, 09:14 PM
With the exception of Bluetooth, the Samsung SCH-i600 (http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?id=186) looks like what I want. (That may be the phone ThomasC22 was describing, but I don't know -- come on, Thomas, post links. :-))

This is all the info I have on it (yes, btw, I was talking about the i600):

Photos (http://www.wirelesssoftware.info/show1news.php/450.html)

Story (http://www.infosync.no/news/2002/n/2192.html)

pdf (http://www.bargainpda.com/assets/220.pdf)

(all with small URLs :D )

No bluetooth though :?

ThomasC22
11-25-2002, 09:16 PM
<cynicism>You know what I'd like? A Smartphone that I could actually BUY. THAT is my dream device. </cynicism>

Well, there's always the Treo :wink:

ricksfiona
11-27-2002, 09:09 PM
Thanks for all the info folks. Hey, Bluetooth is a definite necessity.

I have a t28i and it works quite well. But it's very limited. I would like a phone while when wearing my Jabra Bluetooth headset (btw, if waay cool), could say 'dial 555-1212', and my phone would dial the phone number.

This is what I have:
IPAQ 3870
t28i w/bluetooth dongle.
Jabra bluetooth headset.

I am demo'ing the mPhone software that allows you to dial a number from the IPAQ, but it's not integrated with the Outlook program. You have to use a separate program to dial phone numbers and sync. your contacts on ocassion. Certainly not an elegant interface.

Is there something better out there? How about a piece of software that does a quick caller-id function, announces it on the headset, then transfers the call to the headset if you 'answer' the call. Cool huh?

karen-s
11-28-2002, 05:06 PM
I have a fab new smartphone. The SPV out in the UK this week. I was actually waiting for the p800 so considering this was a stop gap I'm very pleased. It has PIE, MSN messenger, pop3/imap4, GPRS, Windows Media Player, AND an SD slot. What's more it is tri-band and phone shaped rather than brickish. A bluetooth SD add-on is expected.

I took a couple of screen shots but can't seem to get them in this box. If someone lets me know how ( sorry guys.. :oops:) I'll show you how pretty it is!

The best bit is the introductory GPRS package you get - it's such a bargain compared to the ipaq I sold earlier in the year.

mobileMike
11-28-2002, 09:31 PM
Can you use a SmartPhone as a modem? I thought I would ask since the PocketPC Phone Edition can not be used as one.

My perfect phone...

1) Tri-band (900/1900/1800) for World-wide coverage
2) MP3 Music player
3) Speaker phone
4) High quality stereo output through headset (graphic equalizer)
5) Built-in Bluetooth to connect to laptop, or stereo Bluetooth headset
6) +1MegaPixel camera for fun shots (won't replace my separate digital camera).
7) SD memory card (I/O support would be nice), to store music, pictures, video clips
8) Color Screen
9) Normal stuff... (SMS, MMS, WAP, GPRS, HSCD)
10) Java support with ability to download and play applications off SD card.
11) Vibrating alert
12) Full keyboard (I like the flip keyboard on the new Nokia phone)
13) Small so I don't know it is in my pocket

Note: Bluetooth can not be provided by SD card (unless there are 2 SD slots), because I want to listen to my music on the SD card with my Bluetooth headset.

Where are the stereo Bluetooth headphones or headsets?

- mike

ThomasC22
11-28-2002, 10:01 PM
I think you're going to be waiting for quite a while Mike :o

enemy2k2
11-29-2002, 01:47 AM
Oh yeah, and add this to my list!

http://www.sprinklerhead.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=146&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

TV in your cell phone or PDA, now that would be cool! Also I would want an AM/FM tuner as well! You could have your entire office and entertainment system in your pocket :!: :!: :!:

Sony better sell these to other manufacturers :bad-words:

karen-s
11-29-2002, 06:16 PM
I can use the SPV as a modem Mike - either USB or IR. The speakerphone and general sound quality is good. There is a bundled camara but it's NOT so good. Java support etc yes. There are some omissions but nothing that is absolutely crucial for me and unlike the ipaq (£550) + T68i (£75) + contact (12x£25) the SPV was only £50 + contact (12x£30) which includes GPRS. The whole package costs a lot less than a decent pda and I have always on connectivity.

It was supposed to be a stop-gap till the p800 came along but I'm hooked :)