View Full Version : beginning pocket pc info

gpo1956
11-24-2002, 11:27 PM
Hello all,
I'm new to the forum and need some help. I recently ordered my first pocket pc(Dell Axim), and am totally illiterate with these things. Can anyone suggest a book or web site that explains what all these things are capable of doing and good general information? I am starting at square o
ne and need the most basic of information.

thanks.
Gary

Kati Compton
11-24-2002, 11:44 PM
Hello all,
I'm new to the forum and need some help. I recently ordered my first pocket pc(Dell Axim), and am totally illiterate with these things. Can anyone suggest a book or web site that explains what all these things are capable of doing and good general information? I am starting at square o

thanks.
Gary

http://www.pocketpc.com is Microsoft's site that's a bit of a marketing-type description of Pocket PCs. There are books out there on "how to use". I would suggest going to a big bookstore and seeing if they have a couple (my local Barnes & Noble had 2, I think). Look through them, and see if there's one that "feels" right to read. For what you're looking for, the book choice would probably be a very personal one. I know it is for me when I'm looking for a programming reference.

ThomasC22
11-24-2002, 11:57 PM
When I handed PocketPCs out to the Executive staff at my company I gave them each a copy of this book:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0764508342/qid=1038178906/sr=1-15/ref=sr_1_15/002-8084004-6864812?v=glance&s=books

and they all seemed to get a lot out of it. Insulting title aside, you really can't beat the dummies books for good, beginners reference!

mookie123
11-25-2002, 12:07 AM
Hello all,

eh, you are taking this way to seriously.
-don't drop it on concrete floor,
-don't drop it in the bathtub.

now go have some fun and download some programs and tweak and prod it see you can actually get it to work without reading the manual first. :lol:

PS: the basic do and don't are pretty much the same as your laptop. The rest of information just nag the people in the forum. They'll help ya.

enemy2k2
11-25-2002, 12:30 AM
eh, you are taking this way to seriously.
-don't drop it on concrete floor,
-don't drop it in the bathtub.

now go have some fun and download some programs and tweak and prod it see you can actually get it to work without reading the manual first. :lol:

PS: the basic do and don't are pretty much the same as your laptop. The rest of information just nag the people in the forum. They'll help ya.

Well if there's time available I definitely agree with the suggestion at the end, I mean... that IS my plan :twisted:

As for the bathtub thing, that sounds like a terrible idea... Especially if it's a warm bath. You definitely do not want moisture condensing inside the thing. I was thinking of the bathtub idea myself, how cool it would be for E-Books etc. But I honestly think you'd need to purchase one of those ruggedized units - and the price on those is not pretty :roll:

yvilla
11-25-2002, 01:00 AM
One more suggestion: pocketpcmagic.com has some inexpensive beginner e-books on pocket pcs and their uses. The site also has some tips and how-tos too.

mookie123
11-25-2002, 01:45 AM
I was thinking of the bathtub idea myself, how cool it would be for E-Books etc. But I honestly think you'd need to purchase one of those ruggedized units - and the price on those is not pretty :roll:

ziplock? Not that I ever try it, but I bet the bag would even float in water.

gpo1956
11-25-2002, 04:53 AM
Thanks so much for all the input. I had looked for the Dummies book at the local Hastings, but they didn't have it. However, I'll be in Little Rock for the holiday and I'll check out Barnes and Noble.

Thanks again,
Gary

ThomasC22
11-25-2002, 06:15 AM
Thanks so much for all the input. I had looked for the Dummies book at the local Hastings, but they didn't have it. However, I'll be in Little Rock for the holiday and I'll check out Barnes and Noble.

Actually, thank you for some pleasant memories.

It's funny, you never know what's going to remind you of stuff, I lived for a few years in a town called Rock Springs, WY which was 3 hours away from any major town (Salt Lake City, UT being the nearest) and I remember the highlight of my week (I was 10) was going to hastings. I loved that place, videos, music, books, Comic Books (my favorite at the time). I wish we had one of those here (although in California's defense I do live within 5 miles of about 10 book stores and 10 music stores and 10 video stores :))

Anyway, it sounds weird, but you bringing up Hastings made my day, so thanks!

Pony99CA
11-25-2002, 11:03 AM
When I handed PocketPCs out to the Executive staff at my company I gave them each a copy of this book:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0764508342/qid=1038178906/sr=1-15/ref=sr_1_15/002-8084004-6864812?v=glance&s=books

and they all seemed to get a lot out of it. Insulting title aside, you really can't beat the dummies books for good, beginners reference!
My usual rant. Please don't post long URLs "naked"; they force horizontal scrolling. Use the following instead:

[url=http://www.amazon.com/exec/-LONG_URL_DELETED]Pocket PCs for Dummies[/url]

That ends up looking like this:

Pocket PCs for Dummies (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0764508342/qid=1038178906/jasondunn-20/102-3143083-6868917?v=glance&s=books)

See how much better that is? It doesn't take much longer, it's more descriptive (nobody could figure out what book you were recommending without clicking that URL), and it doesn't screw up everybody else's reading experience.

Steve

P.S. That link I posted is also an affiliate link for Pocket PC Thoughts. If you use it, Jason will get some money.

enemy2k2
11-25-2002, 12:27 PM
ziplock? Not that I ever try it, but I bet the bag would even float in water.

hahahaha, that's so simple and ingenious... but my quick answer would have to be a resounding NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :D I really don't trust those Ziplock bags, no matter how well I've sealed them up I've always been able to get a bit of air out of them with the slightest squeeze - not that I've ever tried it for this purpose or anything resembling it :D I mean I'm not completely obsessed with the idea or anything, it was just a passing thought I'd once had. Maybe using one of those vacuum sealable bags might do the trick? I'm certainly not going to be the one to try it though :P

mookie123
11-25-2002, 07:17 PM
Come to think of it, They have this waterproof pouch, for some marine application PDA. It was hyp back around CasioE100 time. But I still think the ziplock idea is much more superior . I mean go ask your mom, she trusts her ziplock carrying soup inside and all. *lol*

http://www.sailgb.com/sshop/prod_info.asp?PID=153

I think it's listed on this site too, as aquapac.
http://www.styluscentral.com/pdacases.html

Kati Compton
11-25-2002, 07:21 PM
Or there's those informercials about "Space bags" that are the ones that you put your sweaters in and use your vacuum to suck out the air. The guy puts a bag holding a couple sweaters in a fish tank full of water. With a little plastic shark for added realism, of course. If the bag can defend against a plastic shark, I wonder how it would do against a rubber duckie....

enemy2k2
11-25-2002, 08:11 PM
Wow, now that is one cool idea! Who knows, might be put on my buy list after I get my Axim :D I don't think rubber duckies would pose much of a threat, my hopes are that they will peacefully co-exist in great appreciation of one another's presence. The more the merrier, I always say :wink:

ThomasC22
11-25-2002, 09:03 PM
See how much better that is? It doesn't take much longer, it's more descriptive (nobody could figure out what book you were recommending without clicking that URL), and it doesn't screw up everybody else's reading experience.

Actually, I didn't know that (I guess you should post it more often :D ) but it is a nifty trick. But it doesn't mess up anything for me, what does it do to your screen when I post a full URL?

Kati Compton
11-26-2002, 12:23 AM
Wow, now that is one cool idea! Who knows, might be put on my buy list after I get my Axim :D I don't think rubber duckies would pose much of a threat, my hopes are that they will peacefully co-exist in great appreciation of one another's presence. The more the merrier, I always say :wink:

I don't know if it is guaranteed to protect electronics, though. :)

enemy2k2
11-26-2002, 01:40 AM
I don't know if it is guaranteed to protect electronics, though. :)

I was talking about mookie123's suggestion for the aqua-bag :P I'm pretty sure that the vacuum bag idea would not be that great for a PCC, I can imagine screen cracks and cases twisting and snapping under the force - not a pretty picture 8O

mookie123
11-26-2002, 07:08 PM
...ok forget the bag,
what you need is this!

(military grade ipaq, can survive water submarge)
http://www.pocketpctools.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=272

enemy2k2
11-27-2002, 12:40 AM
If the plain version is out of my price range, I'm one hundred million percent sure that this will be too :P