View Full Version : Getting a new e740 -> is it recommended?

rave
11-24-2002, 02:34 PM
After pondering for weeks, I decided to get an e740 despite everything I've read in various web sites. My reasoning is that such comments should be taken with a grain of salt, and as a fellow user here puts it, such comments come from a "loud minority".

Besides, the product is already about half a year old, and the significant manufacturing issues would probably have been fixed by now.

Comments will be appreciated. Thanks. :)

ThomasC22
11-24-2002, 09:21 PM
Well, my problem with it (as one of the vocal minority) was that the WiFi was very weak for me. I would have a 50% signal with my notebook and none with the e740.

The screen wasn't exactly mind blowing either...

Plus, you missed the good deal at Amazon so I'm not sure it would be worth it anymore.

Can you tell us why you specifcally wanted the e740 (e.g. if you aren't interested in WiFi that isn't a ding against it) and then maybe we could give you more help...

miterb
11-24-2002, 11:21 PM
I have had a learning curve with mine but still enjoy the size and weight among other things. I am awaiting a replacement for the wireless adapter for my desktop and when that arrives, I should be enjoying the wireless feature. The dual-card (CF and SD) slots really are handy. I also bought the usb/VGA interface and the Pocketop IR keyboard. Now to get the extended battery in the new year and I'll have it all.

Check this recent thread at Brighthand which is similar to your inquiry:
http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=65316

rave
11-25-2002, 02:34 AM
The main features that caught my eye were the dual expansion, the ATI chip, and the 400 MHz XScale. The Wi-Fi capability isn't a major selling point for me, but I guess it's handy to have it.

-----

Update: After some thinking, though, maybe it's better if I just get an e310. I'll most probably be using it for PIM and offline use, anyway. When the time comes that I'll really need dual expansion and wireless, the PDA line by that time may offer better choices. Any thoughts on this?

ThomasC22
11-25-2002, 06:21 AM
The main features that caught my eye were the dual expansion, the ATI chip, and the 400 MHz XScale. The Wi-Fi capability isn't a major selling point for me, but I guess it's handy to have it.

I personally think your e310 idea might be pretty wise...although, another option would be the Dell Axim which has dual expansion, a 400mhz XScale, etc... It doesn't have Wi-Fi but if it isn't a major selling point then the Dell's $199 price tag might do it for you. Plus it has a better screen!

As for the ATI chip, to date I haven't seen it do anything but make video performance worse so don't count that as an advantage.

Anyway, from what you've said, if I were you I'd get the Dell UNLESS you really could see thin becoming important in your life (since the cheapest I can find the e310 for these days is $279)

duckyjp
12-06-2002, 10:25 PM

I personally think your e310 idea might be pretty wise...although, another option would be the Dell Axim which has dual expansion, a 400mhz XScale, etc... It doesn't have Wi-Fi but if it isn't a major selling point then the Dell's $199 price tag might do it for you. Plus it has a better screen!

As for the ATI chip, to date I haven't seen it do anything but make video performance worse so don't count that as an advantage.

Anyway, from what you've said, if I were you I'd get the Dell UNLESS you really could see thin becoming important in your life (since the cheapest I can find the e310 for these days is $279)

Actually to get a 400mhz processor on the dell you have to go with the 300 dollar version. Just something to keep in mind.

Covert
12-08-2002, 09:48 PM
Now with video players that make optimizations for the ATI chip (PocketDivx, PocketTV) you can get better video performance from the e740 than you can with any other Pocket PC. It's becoming an advantage...

burtman007
12-10-2002, 04:45 PM
I'd have to throw in my vote for the e740.

We just bought a few of these at work and they are great IMO. The wi-fi was tricky at first, but now that EUU3 is out, it works like a charm. Dual CF and SD slots make for all the expansion I can crave!!! Plus, I think I just read that Amazon has the amazing deal back, putting them at the right price point.

I will admit a downfall though. Battery life. I use my e740 as an extension of my desktop. When I need to walk around the building, I've got my encrypted e-mail pal along with me and it works great. Using it as a full fledged desktop replacement though would be out of the question. Battery is good for a 1 1/2 hours, maybe 2, but that's it while using wi-fi...