View Full Version : Comdex-Goers Size Up Budget PDAs

Jason Dunn
11-24-2002, 02:14 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,107043,00.asp' target='_blank'>http://www.pcworld.com/news/article...d,107043,00.asp</a><br /><br /></div>This article is a basic run-down of what PDAs were released at Comdex, what they offer, etc. Nothing ground-breaking for any regular Thoughts reader, but there's one small paragraph that made my ears perk up:<br /><br />"The X5 is but the first in a series of planned Axims, Dell executives say. Early in 2003, the company plans to launch a thin and lightweight Axim, the X3, and a wireless-enabled version, the X7."<br /><br />Now we can put a name to the next-gen Dell devices before the current ones are even shipping. Don't you just love this industry? :way to go:

portus
11-24-2002, 02:54 AM
I am starting to feel like insecure in getting any "new" device knowing that the moment I got it, I'd want a "newer" one that's sure to come much sooner than you think... :roll:

Xyress
11-24-2002, 03:28 AM
Yeah, you have to wonder about the Dell 'executives' decision to make that announcement public. Why would they try to cut into their own sales of the X5? Then again, if they truly do make each device after it is ordered, then they're really not hurting themselves - just the other PocketPC manufacturers. Hmm ...

Having followed the tech industry for many years, I realize that you can never have the "best" electronic device. You just have to suck it up and dive in and be happy with your purchase. There will always be something better right around the corner - you just have to think of that as a positive.

jizmo
11-24-2002, 03:35 AM
I believe that Dell would be able to make a lightweight and moderately-sized PPC. I really hope they will, too.

I hope that they will also use different designers to shape the new device. Even thought X5 would've been the smallest PDA out there, it would've still looked the bulkiest, just because its weird design. :?

If they are planning to the same $200 category, there really would be great market share for a thin / lightweight PPC device with one expansion slot and removable battery.

/jizmo

Janak Parekh
11-24-2002, 04:18 AM
Yeah, you have to wonder about the Dell 'executives' decision to make that announcement public. Why would they try to cut into their own sales of the X5? Then again, if they truly do make each device after it is ordered, then they're really not hurting themselves - just the other PocketPC manufacturers. Hmm ...
I wouldn't worry about this. Dell is a strong believer in having a vast product line. Their strategy has generally paid off in the past...

--bdj

Paul
11-24-2002, 04:18 AM
Now this is what I'm talking about!
Let's see what the Axim X7 and Toshiba's e750 will bring to the table.

Personally, my next device needs to have dual slots, a 4" screen, built-in WiFi, and running on the PPC phone edition wouldn't hurt either...

Is that hoping for too much?

Oh, let's not forget super high mah li-poly battery :P

vincentsiaw
11-24-2002, 05:07 AM
and lightweight dell, apply to more lightweight price? :lol:

Jason Dunn
11-24-2002, 05:30 AM

Dell announced they want to see a $150 US device happen sometime in 2003 - my bet is the X3 is that device. I wonder what features they'll sacrifice to get that?

rudolph
11-24-2002, 05:33 AM
eeeeexcellent... and I thought the e750 was going to be the only integrated Wifi + CF + SD Pocket PC for the next little while.... so there's one more option for me (the X7) :)

kagayaki1
11-24-2002, 08:20 AM

Dell announced they want to see a $150 US device happen sometime in 2003 - my bet is the X3 is that device. I wonder what features they'll sacrifice to get that?

My first guess would be at least SD slot only, likely non-SDIO. However, dual slot could become more ubiquious and SDIO may become standard. Who knows?

-Jason

Cortex
11-24-2002, 09:45 AM
the e750 isnt doesnt have dual slots (no CF slot)

jizmo
11-24-2002, 11:57 AM
Bottom line:

Make it attractive to low-end users and normal people. Forget all extra features (CF slots etc) that make the device bigger, more expensive and less pleasing to the eye. Aim for a smallest possible device, competing with iPAQ 1910 would be a good goal.

If Dell could make a ~149$ device (I believe it's possible, they already managed to make a 199$ device with more features), that would boast full transflective screen, normal PPC speed and removable battery.. In other words: a X5 that's smaller, cheaper and more attractive to the eye, they'd own the market for sure.

/jizmo

Rirath
11-24-2002, 01:37 PM
I'd love to see them offer a few more choices, but I wouldn't bet on them owning the market all too quickly. People will still find something minor like the shape to complain about.

ThomasC22
11-24-2002, 08:51 PM

My guess would be it's an insurance policy.

look at it this way, Dell has made some really big predictions about how many units they're going to sell and what % of the market they're going to take. This was necessary because Dell wants to show their customers that they are (A) in the PDA industry in a big way and (B) committed to win. The problem becomes, what if they don't hit their estimates?

This I think is where the X3 and X7 come in, that way, if they do hit their estimates they can throw a party, and if they don't they can always say "well, we're still a big player, but most of our customers have said they're going to wait for the higher end/slimmer models".

So, Dell saves face in a catastrophe, plus the reaffirm how much they are committed to the PDA market. It's really kind of smart if you think about it.

Jonathon Watkins
11-24-2002, 11:58 PM
the e750 isnt doesnt have dual slots (no CF slot)

Nah - they can't be that stupid. The 740 has both slots - so they upgrade will have both slots too. They won't throw thier trup card away. There would be NO point getting a larger device without the extra slot.

Paul
11-26-2002, 12:46 AM
I concur. The e7xx series might as well be the e3xx series without the second slot. (+ WiFi of course)