View Full Version : SDIO WLAN Card?

GQ19
11-23-2002, 01:54 AM
I heard rumors that SyCard developed an SDIO WLAN card? Why is this so hush hush as i havent heard too much on it but it's definitely true. That'd be huge in my opinion and i don't understand the quiet around this potential storm.. imagine that you wouldnt need a sleeve to accomplish WLAN connections? that'd be awesome.. any thoughts?

KyleC
11-23-2002, 02:05 AM
Considering that I have an e310, and it only has a SDIO port (no CF, cleeves, etc.) this would be the only way for me to connect to a WLAN (is that the same as a WAN or Wi-Fi?) Anyway, it would be nice to know that if I ever needed to connect that I could, even if I didn't ever buy it. Also, it would be the 2nd SDIO product to ever come out! CF is phasing out; make way for SD! 8)

Kirkaiya
11-23-2002, 03:02 AM
Sychip has demo'd their 802.11b (WLAN, or "Wi-Fi") SDIO card at Comdex, and it's been featured on their homepage for several weeks.

I posted pics of it in another thread, but here it is again:
http://www.sychip.com/IMAGES/a6060sda.gif

One thing to keep in mind is that SyChip is not a mass-manufacturer - they have apparently licensed the design of the thing to other companies, who will sell it under their own name.

I wrote to them (SyChip) about a week ago, and this is the reply, cut & paste from the email:

"SyChip will not be selling the card directly but via our accessory partners and major OEMs. These have yet to be annouced. The WLAN SD card is expected to be available at all major retail stores in Q2 of 2003. Pricing has yet to be announced.

Regards
Navi"

So there ya go.

GQ19
11-23-2002, 05:45 AM
any word as to how it's performance would fare vs. say a CF card? i would assume because it's SD that it would also use significantly less power? thanks..

Fishie
11-23-2002, 05:50 AM
And be significantly slower.

Kirkaiya
11-23-2002, 06:40 AM
Well - as for performance, I can only offer conjecture :-)

My guess is, it will be equivalent, just as my low-voltage CF 802.11 card, from Symbol, has the same performance as my Orinoco Gold PCMCIA 802.11 card (I have both, and am using the CF in my laptop right now).

And one major thing to consider is that pocket PCs don't have the processing power for I/O that Laptops/Desktops do - I doubt that a PPC could really consume more than 1 or 2 MBps effectively - i mean, most servers don't serve up content that fast anyway.

AND - more importantly - if you're pulling content off the internet, the bottleneck isn't likely to be the 802.11b network, which tops at about 11 MBps, it will be the Cable Modem/DSL/T-1 line, any of which max out at 700 Kbps - 1.54 Mbps.

So, I fell pretty sure the performance/experience will be equivalent to a CF version. Also - I wouldn't be too sure about the power requirements. It seems like it would use less, but there really isn't any guarantee.... (my CF Symbol card is pretty miserly, it doesn't kill my iPaq battery very fast at all).

Just my opinions here, no facts to see here, move along!

JackTheTripper
11-26-2002, 01:32 AM
I'm very interested in this for my e310. Please, anyone who is following this or finds out specifics as to release date keep us posted. Thanx!

Clavain
11-26-2002, 10:27 PM
Jack

I don't know if you have heard this before, but I have to say I like your animated icon :)

Very clever indeed.

Clavain

JackTheTripper
11-28-2002, 12:55 AM
Jack

I don't know if you have heard this before, but I have to say I like your animated icon :)

Very clever indeed.

Clavain

Thanks. http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums/images/smilies/banana.gif

2002F1Fan
11-29-2002, 06:10 PM
I'm very interested in this for my e310. Please, anyone who is following this or finds out specifics as to release date keep us posted. Thanx!

Same here!