View Full Version : Can you convince me to upgrade from an HP Jornada 525 ???????

HOLLYWOOD_
11-22-2002, 09:25 PM
I am debating whether or not to upgrade from my HP 525. My biggest grievance is the inability to read the screen in outdoor sunlight.

Why else should I consider upgrading to a new pocket pc?? Sure could use help from all of you "thinkers" out there!!! :D

Rirath
11-23-2002, 06:12 AM
I am debating whether or not to upgrade from my HP 525. My biggest grievance is the inability to read the screen in outdoor sunlight.

I'm using a 525 right now and finally upgrading. I was like you, I had no reason to upgrade before now. I got my J525 really cheap and I just couldn't justify paying $400-$600 and up for a machine @ 200mhz. But now there are many reasons to upgrade.

The Dell Axim X5 has a version for a mere $199. You'll get a 300mhz Xscale, (which will run all ARM programs... you can finally run real software! :wink: ) You'll get a rather nice amount of ram, so no more worrying about trying to keep 8 megs free to run games like Snails. You'll finally loose that EVIL 8bit screen that can't run 99% of the programs out there. The Axim has a CF slot, so if you have CF cards they'll still work. Basically dude, for $200 you're going from a x486 to a AMD 2000+. Sure, it may not be a Pentium 3 GHZ (Ipaq 5000 series)... but it'll still sing. If you have the cash to do so, for $200 how can you lose?

mirwin
11-23-2002, 07:09 AM
<<My biggest grievance is the inability to read the screen in outdoor sunlight.>>

Ha Ha !!!

_mine_ is persuading the wife that I really can afford all the eBooks I read on my 560 :D

If you really need to read the thing in sunlight, then Rirath's recommendation may be good for you - or it may not. Almost all LCD screens wash out in sunlight, so I'd take a good old look at it before paying money for something that turns out to be better at things you're not worried about and just as bad in your problem areas.

You might be better off spending the $200 in some other way to just avoid the sunshine !

Rirath
11-23-2002, 08:39 AM
I'm guessing on a few factors. 1) If you're using a J525 and your only thinking about upgrading, price is an issue. 2) You're just curious what's out there without doing too much reading. :wink:

We'll all know a lot more once these Dells start coming in, but from what I've read so far it should have quite the nice screen indoors and out. Anything has to beat the J525's 8bit. Outdoors that thing washes to nothing like you wouldn't believe. And there's always the return policy to fall back on. There's also the V35, but it'll run you another $100, you won't gain anything, and you can't use your CF card you proudly feature in your sig. 8) Still, it has the size advantage.

HOLLYWOOD_
11-23-2002, 05:43 PM
Price is really not an issue. My company's IT department deployed the Blackberry and have really been waiting for Pocket PC to offer similar functionality - always on email. Plus, I prefer the thumb keypad -- not because it is faster, but because it is more convenient. I travel 50% of the time, and love the connectivity it offers.

I ordered the Viewsonic mainly because of it's slim size. Let's hope it arrives before Christmas. Amazon did not give an anticipated shipping date.

I really like using INTELLIGOLF to keep score and manage sidebets during a round of golf. Let's hope the V35 screen looks good outside.