View Full Version : Jornada Construction Issue?

stitics
11-22-2002, 05:37 AM
My last pocketpc (a 548) started to split apart at the seams due to what appeared to be the lower screw heads "pulling through" the rear casing. The gap that was then allowed between components caused the screen to frequently blank out. You could get the picture back by pressing the halves together again, but it was quite annoying to have to pinch the necessary areas to maintain it. After repairing this with electrical tape (it was amazingly crude and ugly, as you can imagine) it wasn't quite as much of an issue, but I used it that way for a few months and was ready for an upgrade.

My current PPC is a 568, and a similar things seems to be occurring. I don't think it's the screws "pulling through" in this case. It appears that the lower-left screw has backed itself out and (I almost never remove the battery, as I don't see much point without a special "battery only charger") managed to work itself out past the battery, and the screw covered by the warranty voiding sticker has just stripped it's receiver (I assume this because you can see the shaft of the screw through the opening, NOT because I was so bold as to remove the sticker). To make the matter worse, there isn't just a blanking of the screen this time around, but a involuntary soft reset of the device, and the same kind of awkward necessary hold position to avoid it occurring.

Has anyone had any experience with this type of thing? If so (or even if not) what might you suggest for it? I really don't like the idea of being Jornada-less.

Thanks in advance for any help.

PPCWanderer
01-28-2003, 04:15 PM
My 548 has done the same thing. I've managed to (mostly) repair it with eyeglass screws but I have lost the ability to use the sync cradle. I think I'll be upgrading soon.

Weyoun6
02-08-2003, 06:40 AM
I have just noticed this on my 568 as well. dont know what to do, since its out of warranty. although I have not seen the software problems as of yet.