View Full Version : New Mother-of-all Pocket PCs Coming from Toshiba?

Jason Dunn
11-22-2002, 12:23 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.pocketpcitalia.com/' target='_blank'>http://www.pocketpcitalia.com/</a><br /><br /></div>I knew that Toshiba had something cooking, but this might be the delicious high-end Pocket PC yet. The info is in Italian, but the basics are as follows:<br /><br />• Toshiba e750<br />• 400 Mhz Intel XScale<br />• 128 MB RAM 8O <br />• 4 inch Transflective screen<br />• SDIO slot<br />• Integrated WiFi (802.11b I would assume)<br />• Removable battery<br />• Q1 2003 shipping<br /><br />Sounds quite nice!

vincentsiaw
11-22-2002, 12:41 AM
wow 4 inch screen! what's the resolution, a vga like the nexio? oh ya how heavy as well?

ricksfiona
11-22-2002, 12:42 AM
Sounds pretty cool! I just have a couple of questions:

1) Will it have Bluetooth?
2) Will the dimensions be similar to an IPAQ especially with a bigger screen.

A bigger screen is nice, but not at the expense of size and weight of the unit. You should be able to fit a 4" screen into an IPAQ size PDA.

sponge
11-22-2002, 12:52 AM
I'm wondering if this will have the new Imageon chip.

toshtoshtosh
11-22-2002, 12:54 AM
Ah there it is, I meant to submit that as front page news, but I guess it's still only a rumor.

This would be a killer device. I'm assuming it's keeping the e740 form factor (since it's name e750), which is the smallest 2 slot pda available (smaller than the ipaq). Hope we hear more about it soon!!

EDIT: my bad, it IS on the front page.

bdeli
11-22-2002, 01:01 AM
news was posted earlier this morning:

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=41689#41689

Timothy Rapson
11-22-2002, 01:05 AM
Cover included? No

VGA? No

New OS that uses that 400 MZ? No

Blue tooth AND WiFI? No

Camera built in? No

New smaller size for a dual slot" No

Breakthrough price like the Axim?No

What's new? 128 meg ram. Yawn. 64 is lots with the easy seamless integration of Flash cards for either storage or programs.

It sounds like a nice enough Genio or E700 series, and it is nice that you told us about it, but unless there is something unreported there's not much to get excited about.

toshtoshtosh
11-22-2002, 01:08 AM
Cover included? No

[...]

but unless there is something unreported there's not much to get excited about.

Sorry If I'm more excited about a 4inch transflective screen than a plastic cover :D. One step at a time people!

portus
11-22-2002, 01:16 AM
I'd rather not have so many stuff built into a single device. The more functions you build into the device, the more possible points of failure. Hence the less reliable a device becomes.

ECOslin
11-22-2002, 01:20 AM
Translation from 'freetranslation.com'.
An authoritative ours source overseas anticipates us in exclusive those that will be the features of the new Pocket PC of Toshiba initialed e750. The endowment of next questo produced some Japanese business is announced still a time to the avant-garde. - Processore Intel XScale to 400mhz - 128MB of RAM - Display LCD Transflective of 4 thumbs - Slot Compact Flash and SD THE/OR - Wi-Fi integrated - Battery removibile From an immediate analysis is noted immediately the presence of 128MB of Ram and of a display LCD of 4 thumbs with technology transflective. It is assumed it is able to be then prodotta a version with Bluetooth integrated. The date of throw of the product is expected for the first months
of 2003. The price is all still to define but, to the light of the last developments in commercial subject of politics aside of the varied brand and of Toshiba particularly, would have to be very interesting.

Is that 4 thumbs tall? The features sound like what I would look for in a PDA. Wi-fi integrated, CF, more memory.

Edward

http://www.freetranslation.com/

Jonathon Watkins
11-22-2002, 01:24 AM
DARN it sounds good. :D OK - I would love a VGA screen - but 4 inches of backlit transfexive love won't go ammis! :wink:

Jason Dunn
11-22-2002, 01:28 AM

I had to go eat lunch before I posted - is that ok with you? :wink: :lol:

bdeli
11-22-2002, 01:28 AM
Is that 4 thumbs tall? The features sound like what I would look for in a PDA. Wi-fi integrated, CF, more memory.

Edward

Edward, in Italian they use pollici for inches and thumbs. So it is 4 inches...

bdeli
11-22-2002, 01:29 AM

I had to go eat lunch before I posted - is that ok with you? :wink: :lol:

oh yeh! sure!!!

hopefully will get a glimpse of one of these devices soon. Man we pressed the the guy from Toshiba Canada too much yesterday....

Jonathan1
11-22-2002, 01:30 AM
No BlueTooth....no thanks. I've come to the firm conclusion that my next PDA needs to have 802.11 AND BT. While the iPaq is tempting I want CF built in as well Hopefully Toshiba is going to see the new iPaq series and the wireless options available and up the ante by integrating both as well.

One other thing. 4" screen. That's all well and find but if its the same resolution all I can say is..... :roll:

Jason Dunn
11-22-2002, 01:31 AM
Cover included? No
VGA? No
Blue tooth AND WiFI? No
Camera built in? No

You'll be able to buy a case for it, right?
You can get VGA out solutions for CF and SD, right?

Do you know when the next-gen Pocket PC OS is coming out Timothy? No, you probably don't...so perhaps you shouldn't speak on things you know nothing about. Please. :wink:

tj21
11-22-2002, 01:35 AM
No BlueTooth....no thanks. I've come to the firm conclusion that my next PDA needs to have 802.11 AND BT. While the iPaq is tempting I want CF built in as well Hopefully Toshiba is going to see the new iPaq series and the wireless options available and up the ante by integrating both as well.

One other thing. 4" screen. That's all well and find but if its the same resolution all I can say is..... :roll:

You could always add Toshiba's SD Blutetooth card and you'd have BT, 802.11b and the CF card slot still available. Price would likely be similar to the HP 5450.

I agree about the resolution though. 240x320 needs to go and a 4" screen just makes the low resolution even more obvious.

T

Bob Anderson
11-22-2002, 01:38 AM
I'd rather not have so many stuff built into a single device. The more functions you build into the device, the more possible points of failure. Hence the less reliable a device becomes.

I have to disagree, electronics are more and more reliable, in fact, some electronics outlive their useful lives. The statement above once reminds me of what a car dealer told me once when I wanted a car with power windows and the like: he told me in no uncertain terms I should take the car they had in stock (without those options) because, if I got that car with the accessories "there's just that much more that can go wrong with the car."

Wow... 8O That inspired a lot of confidence in that make of car!!! (That quote is exact ... I'll never forget it, or the flim flam sales approach I got that day :wink: ) (And no, I didn't buy that car from that dealer!!)

Plus, I'd rather have bluetooth and 802.11 built in to my device so I'm not fumbling around with all the cards/cables/etc. that just always seem to get left behind just when you need them most!

Way to go Toshiba... but I think I'll stick with the iPaq 5450 "dream machine!" :D

st63z
11-22-2002, 01:42 AM
Anyone remember the dimensions of that Toshiba e550G w/ the 4" screen and how it compares to the e740? Just curious...

I'm also wondering, can PPC 2003 REALLY be released Q1 next year as Toshiba implied???

And the QVGA PPC res is definitely becoming dated. That Palm 320^2 (or Clie 480).. ALL those numerous 4" VGA screens (even that Zaurus 3.7" VGA).. the Nexio 5" WVGA. Argh.

R K
11-22-2002, 01:44 AM
Wow, it's good to see that Toshiba won't sit behind while HP tries to take on the high-end PPC market. The e740 was once a candidate to step in as my next Pocket PC, but the small screen and weak battery was the limiting factor. Now they've conquered the screen limitation with a brilliant 4" transreflective screen. We will have to see how good the battery is though.
I'm not too sure that this will retain the old e740 form factor because of the new screen. A move from 3.5" to 4" tends to force a lot of moving and shifting in the form factor camp. Hopefully this might mean that it will come with a battery that competes with the iPAQ H5450's 1250mAH replaceable battery and the iPAQ H3900's 1400mAH internal battery.

Integrated Bluetooth would be nice, but two integrated card slots will be enough to make up for it. However, I didn't see anything about a CF slot. I guess people are guessing that since it is called the e750, that it will retain the e740's form and keep the CF slot as well.
Only time will tell.

toshtoshtosh
11-22-2002, 01:45 AM
Anyone remember the dimensions of that Toshiba e550G w/ the 4" screen and how it compares to the e740? Just curious...

e550g: 3.1 x 4.92 x .62
e740: 3.1 x 4.9 x .6

Integrated Bluetooth would be nice, but two integrated card slots will be enough to make up for it. However, I didn't see anything about a CF slot

The rumored specs do mention a CF slot actually. But then again, rumors!

st63z
11-22-2002, 01:48 AM
Thanks toshtosh (toshtoshtoshtosh?). I saw them dimensions from CompUSA online before posting, but wasn't sure they were accurate...

JonnoB
11-22-2002, 03:28 AM
I'm also wondering, can PPC 2003 REALLY be released Q1 next year as Toshiba implied???

Yes, at an earlier trade event (MEC), I was told that PPC 2003 was scheduled for Q1 and would still fit in 24mb of ROM.

st63z
11-22-2002, 03:39 AM
^ So buyers of new 32MB-ROM PPCs this holiday season (especially the 5450) don't need to be concerned about this?? Maybe Jason et. al can look into this?

bdeli
11-22-2002, 03:42 AM

Yes, at an earlier trade event (MEC), I was told that PPC 2003 was scheduled for Q1 and would still fit in 24mb of ROM.

That's what the guy from Toshiba said - PPC2003 is expected in Q1 2003...but i will not bet on that!

Kirkaiya
11-22-2002, 04:37 AM
This sounds a lot like a cross between the Genio e550 series (4" screen) and an E740 (integrated wireless).

In fact, this could very well be a new version of the Genio, which already has a 4" screen, with the current Polysilicon reflective swapped out for a transflective. The new Genio e550G already has a 400 MHz Xscale, and dual-slots, and 4" screen... So really, just a bump in screen type, and a bump to 128 MB. Nice, but not revolutionary.

See http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=294962 (CompUSA page for the Genio) for details on the current model.

Jeff Rutledge
11-22-2002, 04:46 AM

Q1, really? That's earlier than I would have thought. Did they give any indication of what might be included?

David McNamee
11-22-2002, 05:07 AM
... and a free upgrade for existing e740 owners?? :-)

Jason Dunn
11-22-2002, 05:37 AM
All the writers on this site are MVPs and we're under NDA, so you won't find us talking about the next OS at all - and Microsoft doesn't talk about unreleased Pocket PC OS' at all, so you're going to be in the dark for a while longer...other than those Microsoft people at trade shows that give away info a little too easily. ;-)

don dre
11-22-2002, 06:26 AM
for anyone who doesn't know, an inch is equal to the distance between the joint on your thumb and its end. I know them English talk funny but they had some pretty common sense idears when it comes to measurement.
Cheers sucka
Viva le Ipaq

st63z
11-22-2002, 09:40 AM
So to reiterate the "rumor", the PPCs we buy this holiday season will be the very last PPC 2002 models, until early next year...

We better hope there aren't any unforeseen gotchas in flash upgrading to the PPC 2003 OS come Q1 next year. Especially for high-ticket items (5450) that would only be a couple of months old...

But I'm blindly guessing that since Toshiba seems easygoing about loading PPC 2002 or 2003 on their e750, that there really aren't any new hardware requirements/recommendations for the new CE .NET?

Darnit people, let's all PM Jason to death until he spills...

Pony99CA
11-22-2002, 10:28 AM

And the QVGA PPC res is definitely becoming dated. That Palm 320^2 (or Clie 480).. ALL those numerous 4" VGA screens (even that Zaurus 3.7" VGA).. the Nexio 5" WVGA. Argh.
I read that the Pocket PC OS only supports 240x320 video. If that's true, the Pocket PC design team made a short-sighted decision. Windows CE certainly supports higher resolutions.

Is there information that leads you to believe Pocket PC 2003 will support higher resolutions? If not, I guess most Pocket PCs will still seem dated. :-(

Steve

Pony99CA
11-22-2002, 10:34 AM
^ So buyers of new 32MB-ROM PPCs this holiday season (especially the 5450) don't need to be concerned about this?? Maybe Jason et. al can look into this?
The 5450 has 48 MB ROM (as does the 3970). In fact, I had assumed support for future operating systems is why HP increased the ROM size.

If Pocket PC 2003 fits into 24 MB ROM, that's great -- more room for iPAQ File Store. :-)

Steve

Pony99CA
11-22-2002, 10:42 AM
All the writers on this site are MVPs and we're under NDA, so you won't find us talking about the next OS at all - and Microsoft doesn't talk about unreleased Pocket PC OS' at all, so you're going to be in the dark for a while longer...other than those Microsoft people at trade shows that give away info a little too easily. ;-)
If Microsoft doesn't talk about upcoming Pocket PC OS releases, it must be the only product they don't talk about before release. :-D

We knew about Smartphone a long time ahead of its release, we know about the upcoming releases of XP (Longhorn, et al.), we knew about Windows CE .NET and so on.

I understand that you guys can't talk about them due to non-disclosure agreements (a lawsuit would not make your day :-)), but that doesn't stop Microsoft.

Steve

Pony99CA
11-22-2002, 10:47 AM
Pick your favorite snappy answer:

1. I'll trade you your Pocket PC for my four-function calculator.

2. How is your Pocket Abacus doing?

3. You could always get a Palm.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Steve

st63z
11-22-2002, 11:18 AM
The 5450 has 48 MB ROM (as does the 3970). In fact, I had assumed support for future operating systems is why HP increased the ROM size.

If Pocket PC 2003 fits into 24 MB ROM, that's great -- more room for iPAQ File Store. :-)

Yeah, I was just paranoid that PPC .Net may have other minor/subtle hardware changes recommendations for 100% optimization...?

Timothy Rapson
11-22-2002, 11:57 AM
Cover included? No
VGA? No
Blue tooth AND WiFI? No
Camera built in? No

You'll be able to buy a case for it, right?
You can get VGA out solutions for CF and SD, right?

Do you know when the next-gen Pocket PC OS is coming out Timothy? No, you probably don't...so perhaps you shouldn't speak on things you know nothing about. Please. :wink:

It sounds like a nice enough Genio or E700 series, and it is nice that you told us about it

Special thanks to ToshTosh

Rirath
11-22-2002, 12:03 PM
Do you know when the next-gen Pocket PC OS is coming out Timothy? No, you probably don't...so perhaps you shouldn't speak on things you know nothing about. Please.

I have to agree with Timothy on this one. I don't see how this thing is so impressive at all. "The mother of all pocket pc's"... I was expecting something truly exciting. More than just a slightly bigger screen and a little dab more of ram. As far as "speaking on things you know nothing about", oh come on... people do that in these forums 24 hours a day.

Timothy Rapson
11-22-2002, 12:16 PM
So to reiterate the "rumor", the PPCs we buy this holiday season will be the very last PPC 2002 models, until early next year...

In spite of being warned not to speak about what I know nothing about, 8) I can say that I have an upgrade disk up there on the shelf with my Ipaq 3135. I have not installed it. I waited until I knew that I could upgrade the Ipaq from PPC 2000 to 2002 before I bought it. It was one of the selling points.

Nonetheless, the number one feature I wanted from PPC 2002 upgrade was the PocketWord spell checker. Guess what did not make it into the upgrade CD? Right.

I would not buy a PPC this Christmas betting on it running PPC 2003. Even more stupid, is the report over at PocketPCPassion that the latest Ipaq, the h1910 ships with this same crippled spell-checkerless OS. What is HP thinking? The $175 Dell looks like an irresistable bargain, but I wonder if anyone is going to be satisfied with any PDA buy this Christmas.

If Toshiba is going to release this new model, I hope it does have that new OS and the metal cased e330-740 design. It fits very nicely in the hand.

Timothy Rapson
11-22-2002, 12:20 PM
[quote]As far as "speaking on things you know nothing about", oh come on... people do that in these forums 24 hours a day.

I swear it's true! I made it up myself!

:way to go: Thanks Rirath

jefito
11-22-2002, 02:59 PM
Pony99CA said:

I read that the Pocket PC OS only supports 240x320 video. If that's true, the Pocket PC design team made a short-sighted decision. Windows CE certainly supports higher resolutions.

Is there information that leads you to believe Pocket PC 2003 will support higher resolutions? If not, I guess most Pocket PCs will still seem dated.

The Pocket PC OS certainly does support resolutions higher than 240x320, else how would the various resolution extenders work? On the other hand, some apps do not plan for there being anything other than 240x320, and so they don't operate as well in higher rresolutions.

toshtoshtosh
11-22-2002, 05:06 PM
Special thanks to ToshTosh

No problem, that's what I'm here for.

GO-TRIBE
11-22-2002, 06:28 PM
Sorry, but this doesn't sound like any iPaq killer to me. I mean look at the specs/featured in the 5xxx series! HP already says models with 128MB of RAM are on the way, and at least for the commercial market, HP has delivered the killer device (for now).

rudolph
11-22-2002, 06:37 PM
One thing the e750 better have is: Working buttons!

I don't think it'll cost as much as the 5450 tho unless it has all the little things the 5450 has (vibrating alarms, mic line in, rom filestore, charging thru usb, remote control, etc., etc., etc.) and integrated BT. I bet it'll cost as much as the e740 does now, or maybe even a bit less.

5450 will probably still be the "killer" device... except for me who wants an intrgrated CF slot.

toshtoshtosh
11-22-2002, 07:01 PM
In related news,

Toshiba has stated that the e750 will be painted completely yellow!

Timothy Rapson
11-22-2002, 07:37 PM
In related news,

Will it be the Yellow of the old M500Y. I want one blue, one green, and one silver with red, white and blue stripes that is endorsed by that new Chinese basketball player and marketed by Legend Enterprises.

Kati Compton
11-22-2002, 07:41 PM
In related news,

Why would they do that when they know the best color is BLUE?

Pony99CA
11-23-2002, 02:37 PM
I would not buy a PPC this Christmas betting on it running PPC 2003. Even more stupid, is the report over at PocketPCPassion that the latest Ipaq, the h1910 ships with this same crippled spell-checkerless OS. What is HP thinking?

You didn't learn not to talk about stuff you didn't know about? :lol:

As I've posted in two different iPAQ threads off the main page, HP says that the 1910 will support spellchecking. Did the user at Pocket PC Passion actually have hands-on experience with the device to disprove what HP says? As you didn't post a link to the appropriate place, who knows?

For those who missed my previous posts, here's the iPAQ 1910 Quick Spec (http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press_kits/2002/ipaq/h1910quickspecs.pdf). Here is a quotation from the relevant section:

Applications on Device: