View Full Version : Palm software on a Pocket PC?

HERBMEDIC
11-21-2002, 07:06 AM
Does any one know if this is possible, i have a clie now but getting a IPAQ soon, and want to know if there is a way to run palm software on a PPC. :?:

Jason Dunn
11-21-2002, 07:13 AM
Not really. There was Palm emulator in development (www.kodeness.com), but it never left beta and is no longer being developed - although it may appear in the future from an unknown third party...

JonnoB
11-21-2002, 08:20 AM
Does any one know if this is possible, i have a clie now but getting a IPAQ soon, and want to know if there is a way to run palm software on a PPC. :?:

As Jason said... there was a beta, but no more. My suggestion: leave the world of Palm behind and dive head first into the PocketPC - you will be glad you switched.

Kati Compton
11-21-2002, 08:32 AM

If there's a particular app you liked on the Palm that you can't find a good equivalent for on Pocket PC you could always mention it and see if anyone will write it for Pocket PC.

Pony99CA
11-21-2002, 03:02 PM

My suggestion: leave the world of Palm behind and dive head first into the PocketPC - you will be glad you switched.

I'm sorry, but that is the most arrogant advice I've heard in a while. I've never even used a Palm, but I can understand that they have some features that people like.

Are you seriously claiming that there are no worthwhile applications on the Palm that aren't also on the Pocket PC?

Kati42 had the right idea -- if there are specific applications on the Palm platform that someone wants on the Pocket PC, this is a great place to ask about them.

Steve

cjbrant
11-24-2002, 11:32 AM
The excellent Palm Software that I can't find equivalent Pocket PC replacements are Tide Tool to give tide times in UK, and the Password Store for the Palm from Stand Alone ..... unless you know better...<gg>
Chris...

Kati Compton
11-24-2002, 05:59 PM
The excellent Palm Software that I can't find equivalent Pocket PC replacements are Tide Tool to give tide times in UK, and the Password Store for the Palm from Stand Alone ..... unless you know better...<gg>
Chris...

I believe eWallet does the password store thing, although on another thread I'm asking about alternatives. That is, unless I was really tired last night and didn't press "Submit". ;)

ti2gr
11-25-2002, 05:34 AM
Code Wallet looks pretty good as well. I'm doing the trial of both eWallet and Code Wallet. Leaning towards Code Wallet since more info can be stored on each "card"

Kati Compton
11-25-2002, 05:36 AM
Code Wallet looks pretty good as well. I'm doing the trial of both eWallet and Code Wallet. Leaning towards Code Wallet since more info can be stored on each "card"

Let me know what you think. I used "Strip" on the Palm. Adequate, but not heavy on features. Free, though. :)

I'll need a program like that, and I don't have my Pocket PC yet so can't do the trial for another couple weeks...

ti2gr
11-25-2002, 05:47 AM
On the Palm I used Splash ID Excellent program and part of teh SplashWallet set. All eexcellent programs. If I could find suitable replacements ffor all four it would be great.

So far I found uitable replacements for two of teh four

Splash Money -- Pocket Money (I use Money 2003 already so it's great)
Splash ID -- Code Waller or eWallet still testing both
Splash Photo -- need suggestions
Splash Shopper -- need suggestions

Kati Compton
11-25-2002, 06:55 AM
On the Palm I used Splash ID Excellent program and part of teh SplashWallet set. All eexcellent programs. If I could find suitable replacements ffor all four it would be great.

So far I found uitable replacements for two of teh four

Splash Money -- Pocket Money (I use Money 2003 already so it's great)
Splash ID -- Code Waller or eWallet still testing both
Splash Photo -- need suggestions
Splash Shopper -- need suggestions

Let me know about Splash shopper. What I'd really like is something that lets me have a bunch of lists (one per recipe), and then let me select which recipes I need groceries for, and have it *combine* the list. You know, if I say I need 1 cup of flour for cookies and 2 for a cake, the list would say 3 cups of flour.

Hmm. Maybe that'll become program #4 on my to-do list. :P I wonder if I'll have more or less time for all this after I graduate...

HERBMEDIC
11-25-2002, 08:52 PM
Thanks for all the help, I am getting a ipaq 3830 or 3850 today to preview for a week, a person i know is selling it and already has a new one, so i get to play with it. hopefully i will like it much better than my palm and can find someone, which i think i already have, to buy my palm. If so the PPC for me YAY!!! :D

Mark R Penn
11-25-2002, 09:21 PM
Can you give us a bit of info about what Splash Photo and Splash Shopper do? There might be equivelants, but I don't know either of them.

Mark

ti2gr
11-25-2002, 10:24 PM
Splash Shopper is a shopping list software package. Keeps shopping lists fo just about anything you want to keep a list of. Can sort by store, lowest price categor etc.

Splash Photo is a photo viewing software. Similar to the one that comes with the pocket pc (PhotoBase) but thas a desktop version that allows you to crop and edit the picture (contrast, brightness etc)

Mark R Penn
11-26-2002, 11:02 AM
For shopping, is this what you need?

http://www.handango.com/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=1&jid=E4XCB1114E9F7BFACBXCX9BBBEC85162&productId=20559&optionId=1_2_2&productType=2&catalog=30&txtSearch=shopping&sectionId=0&platformId=2

Also try a search on "Shopping" at Handango.

For the picture viewer, I use PQView from http://www.bitbanksoftware.com/PQView.html. It's free for unlimited personal evaluation, and it's got all the features you could possibly want on a PPC. No desktop companion, but any picture editing programme will do what you want.

HTH

Mark

Pony99CA
12-05-2002, 03:31 PM

Let me know what you think. I used "Strip" on the Palm. Adequate, but not heavy on features. Free, though. :)
CodeWallet Pro won Pocket PC Magazine's 2002 Best Software Award in the "Secure Information Manager" (http://www.pocketpcmag.com/jan03/winners_1.asp?cat=39) category.

I use eWallet because it came bundled with my iPAQ 3870 (otherwise, I probably wouldn't be using anything like it, and would just use the Notes field in Contacts to store this type of information).

Steve

Pony99CA
12-05-2002, 03:40 PM
For shopping, is this what you need?

http://www.handango.com/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=1&jid=E4XCB1114E9F7BFACBXCX9BBBEC85162&productId=20559&optionId=1_2_2&productType=2&catalog=30&txtSearch=shopping&sectionId=0&platformId=2

Also try a search on "Shopping" at Handango.

VOShoppingList was a finalist for Pocket PC Magazine's 2002 Best Software Award in the "List Manager" (http://www.pocketpcmag.com/jan03/winners_1.asp?cat=39) category.

Steve

P.S. My usual rant. Please don't post long "naked" URLs. They mess up the wrapping feature of the board software, and that forces horizontal scrolling for almost every post on that page. Previewing posts will show that.

Use the long form of the URL tag instead, as shown below:

[url=http://www.handango.com/<LONG_URL_ABBREVIATED]VOShoppingList[/url]

which ends up looking like:

VOShoppingList (http://www.handango.com/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=1&jid=E4XCB1114E9F7BFACBXCX9BBBEC85162&productId=20559&optionId=1_2_2&productType=2&catalog=30&txtSearch=shopping&sectionId=0&platformId=2)

Isn't that much nicer?

Mark R Penn
12-05-2002, 06:56 PM
Yes, you're right it does look better, but hey, I'm only a simple air-conditioning engineer (see (www.coolcoms.co.uk)). :oops:

I think a rant might be a little strong - there's no help given in the faq's, and I could'nt easily find any other instructions to help me. If I ever do it again, please feel free to rant to your hearts content. :wink:

Cheers

Mark

Mona13
12-05-2002, 06:59 PM
I use the Palm Reader software on my iPAQ 3975. I purchased the Pro edition. I like the fact that it is linked to your credit card and not your device.

Last time I upgraded my PPC, I almost lost about $70 worth of MS Reader books. Well, probably not really, but it was starting to seem that way by the time MS reactivated my reader to use on the new device. They give you 4 times before you have to start begging, but since I had already upgraded, returned another, etc., I had used the four up and needed another activation. Very frustrating. I bought the Palm Reader software as soon as I found out it was available and would work with my iPAQ.

Love it! I do still buy books for MS Reader that I haven't found for the Palm Reader, but I buy them one at a time instead of 5-10 at a time like I had been. I have around 10 bestseller books for my Palm reader loaded on my iPAQ and 1 purchased book for MS Reader.

jmarkevich
12-09-2002, 12:58 PM
Chris...

cTide is available, and for passwords I use TOMBO, which is a treeview notes app that happens to let you encrypt individual memos or whole folders.

Both are GPL.

While I'm here, I have to recommend a reader nobody talks about; uBook. www.gowerpoint.com It reads Palm docs as well as a few other formats, and allows you to bookmark and select text from Palm docs. Free.

dazz
12-09-2002, 05:08 PM
Don't forget HanDBase from www.DDHsoftware.com

You can create your own applets or use a ton from their gallery. There are applets for shopping, passwords, DVD collections, and just about everything else you can think of.

Once you buy HanDBase almost all of the applets in the gallery are free and you can customize them yourself on the PocketPC. You can also password protect whole tables or specific fields.

dazz