View Full Version : Best App for TV Schedules

ntractv
11-19-2002, 06:47 PM
I remember one, I think it was Gist, through Avantgo. Can't find it now. Are there any other good apps that download tv schedules and show descriptions?

robclif4d
11-19-2002, 10:01 PM
PTVL does it all.

Dave Beauvais
11-19-2002, 10:56 PM
And for the lazy among us, here's the link: http://ptvl.thumbsupsoft.com/ ;)

--Dave

ntractv
11-19-2002, 11:45 PM
That was it. This program is awesome. Thanks to you both. :D

Kati Compton
11-20-2002, 12:35 AM
I think you can also do TV Guide through AvantGo.

Dave Beauvais
11-20-2002, 01:32 AM
I think you can also do TV Guide through AvantGo.I guess you might be able to make a custom channel with your local listings, but the "official" TV Guide AvantGo channel is just TV entertainment news and information. What fun. :roll: I used to have the Hollywood.com channel for movie listings, but that channel alone was at least tripling my AvantGo sync times because of "Internal Server Errors," "Recursive Links," etc. I removed that channel and my overall sync time has dramatically decreased. But I digress... ;)

--Dave

ntractv
11-20-2002, 01:37 AM
I think you can also do TV Guide through AvantGo.I guess you might be able to make a custom channel with your local listings, but the "official" TV Guide AvantGo channel is just TV entertainment news and information. What fun. :roll: I used to have the Hollywood.com channel for movie listings, but that channel alone was at least tripling my AvantGo sync times because of "Internal Server Errors," "Recursive Links," etc. I removed that channel and my overall sync time has dramatically decreased. But I digress... ;)

--Dave

I had the same problem with Hollywood.com. So now I just sync my local movie theaters through Yahoo.

Kati Compton
11-20-2002, 01:43 AM

--Dave

I had the same problem with Hollywood.com. So now I just sync my local movie theaters through Yahoo.

If you can do that, you should also be able to get TV times through them too, shouldn't you?

Dave Beauvais
11-20-2002, 01:49 AM
I also do that. Actually, I like it better because Yahoo groups by theater, not by movie. I like to look at what's playing at a theater, not what theaters a movie is playing at. (Did that make sense?)

My problem with Yahoo is that it sometimes "forgets" who I am from sync to sync and I'll have to log in and do a sync again. It's annoying to be in the car trying to decide what to see, whip out the ol' Pocket PC, and find that instead of movie listings, Yahoo is asking me to "sign in." :x (I can see how those with Phone Edition devices have an advantage, in that they don't have to be somewhere with Internet access to do things like that.) That small annoyance aside, Yahoo is a great source of movie listings if you already have a Yahoo account.

--Dave

gandi
11-23-2002, 12:59 PM
that ptvl-thingie looks great. but i guess there nothing equivalent for german users, right?! :(
as for the avantgo-discussion: at least the german channel from tv-movie (guess) is nearly useless because it only provides the program of the actual day - that would be the day you last synched - which is (at least for myself) not really helpfull.

ironguy
11-23-2002, 06:41 PM
There's also DigiGuide (www.digiguide.com). It's quite comprehensive and you can use it with IE Mobile Favorites, Mazingo, Avantgo, and MobiPocket.

There is also Pocket TV Browser, PTVB from PimCity (www.pimcity.com). PTVB has a virtual PC desktop component so you can check listings just like on your PPC.

You can also set up these programs to download automatically. I have about 3 gazillion TV channels (all DISH channels) and I use all three programs. I use Digiguide on my PC, then split my other channels between PTVB and PTVL.

I'm still waiting for the day when you open your TV program, tap the program you want to view and the PPC remote function turns on your equipment and goes to that channel.

Now if I could only find time to watch anything... :wink: