View Full Version : Detailed FAQ on the HP iPAQ h1910

Ed Hansberry
11-19-2002, 04:03 AM
<a href="http://h20022.www2.hp.com/busprod/pocketpc/faq_h1910/?lsidebarLayId=858">http://h20022.www2.hp.com/busprod/pocketpc/faq_h1910/?lsidebarLayId=858</a><br /><br />Sprinklerhead has found a great FAQ from HP on the new h1910. The bad news is it does not have an SDIO slot and 18MB of the RAM is definitely used for the OS. :roll: Someone from HP is going to have to explain that to me several times before I get it.

Paragon
11-19-2002, 04:28 AM
Nice find Jeremiah!

Three things I noticed.

1)Great speil on transfective screen

2) No mention of Outlook 2002 on the CD. For many new users this could be a real PITA

3) WMP, and a few others are not in ROM. Pocket PC 2002 Pro version, not the Premium version.

I'm off to see what Dell has to say about that.

Dave

robert_biggs
11-19-2002, 04:36 AM
My first post, yeah! :D

I sold my first PDA, the e310, a month ago in order buy one of these new low-priced PPC's. Now I'm having difficulty on deciding a clear winner.

I never really considered the iPaq h1910 seriously until reading over the FAQ and seeing the pictures Paul P posted in an earlier thread. It looks great (small size, great screen) and 46MB RAM is better than 32... But I noticed a few things in the FAQ's that didn't sit to well:

Is the h1910 version of the Pocket PC 2002 OS same as iPAQ 3xxx and 5xxx series?
The h1910 ships with Pocket PC 2002, Professional Edition. This has the same core applications as the Premium Edition, however, some of these applications are not pre-loaded on the device, including Windows Media Player, MSFT Instant Messenger, Transcriber, and VPN client, which are available on the companion CD.

So I take it these app's on the companion CD will have to take up more precious RAM which means the actual RAM after fully installing the OS will be even less than 46MB?!

How long will it take to fully charge the h1910?
Approximately 4 hours

4 hours!! The longest it ever took my e310 to charge was 2, when it was almost completely drained. I thought this was a smaller battery.

Due to the type of nonviolatile memory featured in h1910, a portion of the system RAM is required by the operating system. In this case 18MB of RAM is reserved for the operating system. The benefit is faster write performance.

So will this run app's faster than a 400MHz XScale? I kind of doubt it.

Having a replaceable battery (albeit small capacity) is a definite plus of this unit. But it is just too overpriced when compared to the ViewSonic and Dell. Maybe if it were rebated down to around $200 I might consider it more.

The ViewSonic has always been my first choice for my next PPC. The screen sounds like it will be great and I'm praying the sound is good as well. Plus it should fit in the case I bought for my e310. :wink: But the battery not being replaceable is a big thing to me, since I shouldn't (note I didn't say wouldn't) purchase another PDA for a while. And I'm also concerned that the 32MB ROM might not allow me to upgrade to the next OS. :(

The Dell looks great specs wise. But I would only want the 400MHz/64MB version and it costs $50 more upfront. Plus, that thing should be called a BriefcasePC and not a PocketPC. I don't think I could carry that thing in my pants pocket comfortably without looking like a complete nerd (oh wait, I am one). And expansion (other than memory) is not necessary to me right now. And lets face it, style does count and I don't think most people will be too impressed by this thing's looks.

Just my 3 cents.

Fishie
11-19-2002, 04:58 AM
So my assumptions were right.

Just a few quick notes, Outlook 2k2 was omited a while ago, all PPCs to my knoledge ship with Outlook2k, apparently the Outlook team at MS was non too pleased that theyre latest vesion was given away for free.
The fact that part of the OS resides in RAM doesnt make it faster, the WRITE speed is faster meaning when you write something to the part of the RAM designed for keeping the OS its faster, the accestime however does not change and will be dependant on the accestime of the ram used.
This is only good when an update pack becomes available for the device so updating the OS will go a little bit faster and thats about it.
The useable RAM will be 46MBs, its 64 minus the 18 used for the OS.
Seems like the Ipaq is a verry bad choice and unles you like the design and Ipaq name you should IMO definitly go for the Dell or to a lesser extent the Viewsonic.
The higher spec Dell seems like a natural choice thanks to its price, screen, dual slots and especially the 48MBs of ROM wich will come in incredibly handy for the next PPC OS, these things IMO offset the slightly larger size.

Fishie
11-19-2002, 05:06 AM
What has the greatest impact on Battery Life?
Up to 14hrs, you can maximize your battery life with the user selectable Standby settings.

hahahaha

Fishie
11-19-2002, 05:12 AM
Oops:The h1910 NAND Flash offers a lower cost memory architecture, thus passing these savings on to the customer, as well as faster write performance. Previous iPAQ Flash memory technology offers execute-in-place, allowing the operating system and applications to run directly from the nonviolatile memory space.

Hmm so NAND flash is cheaper and the tradeoff is that the programs are not executable in place, so while the core bits of the OS are stored in the 16MBs of NAND Flash when you actually use them they need a big alocation of RAM(at least the same size as the actual program itself+the RAM needed to do whatever they were doing)?

Would mean that the 18MB of reserved RAM that is NOT user available would be used for exactly that wich would also mean that if you install Media Player or anny of the non core OS functions on the machine itself it wil indeed eat away at the 46MBs of RAM.

Man this Ipaq at 299$ suddenly seems horribly overpriced

Paragon
11-19-2002, 05:30 AM
Ya, I knew that at least some were shipping Outlook 2K, but I don't even see any mention of that being on the CD??.....we all know what the meaning of ass_u_me is.

Dave

ThomasC22
11-19-2002, 05:33 AM
Man this Ipaq at 299$ suddenly seems horribly overpriced

Well, two things to consider here:

1 - As for it being overpriced, give it time. If it is indeed as bad as it sounds, HP will have to drop the price fast if for no other reason than to clear out already manufactured stock. On the other hand though, the price point I think it's probably worth (about $150) is a little lower than I think they'll be willing to go.

2 - This review: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,700677,00.asp, puts the iPaq 1910 above both the Viewsonic and the Dell (and is written as if they had hands-on experience with both).

ThomasC22
11-19-2002, 05:43 AM
The Dell looks great specs wise. But I would only want the 400MHz/64MB version and it costs $50 more upfront. Plus, that thing should be called a BriefcasePC and not a PocketPC. I don't think I could carry that thing in my pants pocket comfortably without looking like a complete nerd (oh wait, I am one).

You know, I just don't know why I keep taking this bait...but I guess one more time wouldn't hurt. Let us remember that the Dell is ONLY .7" thick and that is only .08" thicker than the iPaq 3600/3700/3800/3900 models which until about 7 months ago was the thinest PocketPC in existance.

mookie123
11-19-2002, 05:46 AM
1910 is definitely from the "i can do m515 model too" school of thought. It's cut everything out to make the m515 size including memory and CPU power so small battery won't kill it.

definitely soccer mom' PDA.

Kirkaiya
11-19-2002, 05:50 AM
I think the folks at PC Magazine gave reviews of the three units targeted at average consumers. While the HP might indeed be a better choice for many, I suspect the average PocketPcThoughts readers have different needs, in many cases.

For me, the fact that the OS has to copy itself into RAM to run, coupled with the further loss of RAM if you install Windows Media Player (which we all would, I think), and Terminal Services (which I would), would leave a 32 MB device... and the slot isn't SDIO. And the processor is 200 MHz... (and being XScale, I doubt it has the performance of the 206 MHz StrongARM).

So - yes, if you're looking for a lightweight, small, and smart-looking basic PPC, albeit a bit stripped down, this may be the way to go. If you're into loading a lot of software, and want that 64 MB of RAM, and write your own apps on occasion, or really need the SDIO slot, then I think the Viewsonic better fits the bill. If you really need dual-slots, and don't care as much about the size, *and* want to save a C-note, then the cheaper Dell would fit (and if you need the same, but want the 400 MHz, the high-end Dell would).

Like they say, different strokes for different folks. I read all three "reviews" on the PC Mag site, and they didn't really do much of a review - a couple of paragraphs, which mostly just gave the specs, and not much of a feel for how these things seem to run common apps, any sync problems, etc. Almost makes me wonder if they bothered to put the devices thru their paces.

Of course, until we get our grubby paws on both to compare, it'll be difficult for anybody to really say how they personally find them, and it doesn't look as though that will be happening soon :-(

Cortex
11-19-2002, 05:52 AM
i use a casio em500 (upgraded to 32mb) -- still one of the best screens out there -- and looked up the size of the new dell's compared to my em500.

the dell is almost the exact same size.... and i dont consider the em500 to be large. the dell also weighs 3oz less.

its definately thick compared to the e310/330, viewsonic, hp1910 but none of those have dual slots.

im still happy with my em500 but the dell looks pretty darn good for the price :!:

Fishie
11-19-2002, 05:52 AM
Well, two things to consider here:

1 - As for it being overpriced, give it time. If it is indeed as bad as it sounds, HP will have to drop the price fast if for no other reason than to clear out already manufactured stock. On the other hand though, the price point I think it's probably worth (about $150) is a little lower than I think they'll be willing to go.

2 - This review: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,700677,00.asp, puts the iPaq 1910 above both the Viewsonic and the Dell (and is written as if they had hands-on experience with both).

Heh, like I said, itl sell at that price, the lure for a lot of PPC noobs will be just too great.
After all they get a big name PPC that is both small and has a great design for 299$.
They dont know about specs and capabilities, all the ignorant masses will see is an IPAQ (probably the only PPC manufacturer they have ever heard of) retailling new for 299$ wich is extremely thin and stylish.
Itl sell becouse of consumer ignorance and design, just like the majority of products out there I might add.

toshtoshtosh
11-19-2002, 05:53 AM
Let us remember that the Dell is ONLY .7" thick and that is only .08" thicker than the iPaq 3600/3700/3800/3900 models which until about 7 months ago was the thinest PocketPC in existance.

Times change... we want smaller devices now :). A lot of people think the ipaq form factor is too big now.

yunez
11-19-2002, 06:00 AM
Let us remember that the Dell is ONLY .7" thick and that is only .08" thicker than the iPaq 3600/3700/3800/3900 models which until about 7 months ago was the thinest PocketPC in existance.
you cant deny the dell does look chunky in all those comparison shots. IMO the ipaq has always been too big as well, the dell being slightly bigger doesnt help things. But at the end of the day, the dell's price and features still win me over

vincentsiaw
11-19-2002, 06:25 AM
suddenly i realise, for $ 299, so many things (pocket pc) to choose! lets see 6 month from now, what kind of ppc we can buy with $299 :lol:

st63z
11-19-2002, 06:27 AM
Why no one tried substituting "faq_h5450" for "faq_h1910" in the link?

http://h20022.www2.hp.com/busprod/pocketpc/faq_h5450/

st63z
11-19-2002, 06:42 AM
I'm pretty impressed by how thorough HP's pre-release FAQs are, I guess they do have a lot of experience selling/supporting PPCs :)

Still no magic WiFi/BT non-interference.. Future 802.1x support.. Does it support BT headset profile after all? Also no mention of 2500mAh physical batt size...

"What happens if I have an accident and receive a cut to an enrolled finger?
It is suggested that you enroll multiple fingers in the event that a finger is damaged or not recognized."

(Darn, I cut off my thumb, good thing I also enrolled my index finger...)

Fishie
11-19-2002, 07:01 AM
800$ and still no form factor Stephen Hawking could use.

lllean
11-19-2002, 07:32 AM
Cortex,
The EM500 has a great screen, but only for indoors; it's completely
unuseable outdoors. The iPAQ 3900 has a better screen, I think.
When I bought my iPAQ 3670 in May 2001, I already thought the
EM500 is kinda big. With current line of PPCs, i have to say the EM500
is big. So if you compare and think the Dell is the same size as the
EM500, then the Dell is bulky. Actually, without comparing with the
EM500, just from the specs and the pix, the Dell does appear bulky.
Also, the sharp visual lines don't help. But each of the new devices
has its pros/cons. So there'll be certain group of users that will find
each one better suited for their use/taste.

a) Dell - feature laden, cheap, great value
- bulky and not so good-looking
(btw, notice how the unit is tapered towards the lower end.
it's to make it easier to hold)

b) h1910 - small, slim, great looks, very pocketable
- basic features only, but will appeal to non-power users

c) Viewsonic - small, slim, great looks, also pocketable
- good set of features, but when will it be out???

I'm leaning towards h1910, but may end up getting the V35. We'll
have to wait till the real reviews are out and the units are available
for viewing/checking out at the stores. Boy, it's going to be a long
one month waiting for the h1910 to hit the stores. My prediction is
that both the Dell and the h1910 will do very well.

ThomasC22
11-19-2002, 07:37 AM
Times change... we want smaller devices now :). A lot of people think the ipaq form factor is too big now.

It's a good point, I just wish people would make the distinction between "thicker than I would like" and "Total Brick". As an Ex-E125 user I can tell you, if you think .8" is a brick, you ain't seen nothin!

you cant deny the dell does look chunky in all those comparison shots. IMO the ipaq has always been too big as well, the dell being slightly bigger doesnt help things. But at the end of the day, the dell's price and features still win me over

I was actually just thinking how small it looked in Bill Gates' hand :)

I'm leaning towards h1910, but may end up getting the V35.

Just curious, why are you leaning towards the 1910, for my money I see no real advantage to it over the V35?

lllean
11-19-2002, 07:47 AM
ThomasC22,

Did you see the comparison shots that came out of Comdex today?
It's been posted here and also in Brighthand's forum. There're actually 2 sets of pix. One set shows the h5450, Dell, and h1910. The other comparison shows the Dell, Viewsonic, and h5450 (this one is in pocketpcpassion.com). Once you see them, you'll realize the Dell
is quite bulky.

As to why i'm leaning towards the h1910 (over V35), it's mostly
because of the size. Although both are about similar in thickness,
the h1910 is shorter and narrower. The only thing i didn't like about
the h1910 is the RAM issue, so i'll have to wait for the reviews to see
if it'll be a big issue as it pertains to my needs.

Kati Compton
11-19-2002, 07:49 AM
ThomasC22,

You mean you didn't see the comparison shots that came out of Comdex today?

I'm glad we have the pics. I think putting the really tiny one flanked by the two bigger ones makes for somewhat of an optical illusion, though. :) Maybe a photoshop person could insert a pic of their hand to scale to make the actual size more apparent... ;)

ThomasC22
11-19-2002, 07:51 AM
ThomasC22,
You mean you didn't see the comparison shots that came out of Comdex today?

Actually I was just editing my post when you replied :)

I usually go for the smaller threads first!

As to why i'm leaning towards the h1910 (over V35), it's mostly because of the size. Although both are about similar in thickness,
the h1910 is shorter and narrower. The only thing i didn't like about
the h1910 is the RAM issue, so i'll have to wait for the reviews to see
if it'll be a big issue as it pertains to my needs.

So it's a form factor thing, I can see that (although I'd think long and hard about having no viable means for expansion peripherals). Now that I've seen the pics btw, I do have to say the Dell does look pretty big all in all and although I personally thought the 1910 was ugly (that button type just doesn't work for me) I do have to admit it's really small.

ThomasC22
11-19-2002, 07:52 AM
I'm glad we have the pics. I think putting the really tiny one flanked by the two bigger ones makes for somewhat of an optical illusion, though. :) Maybe a photoshop person could insert a pic of their hand to scale to make the actual size more apparent... ;)

I am wondering how angle played a part too only because the iPaq 5400 series and the Dell Axim should be virtually the same thickness but that picture made the Dell look huge!

entropy1980
11-19-2002, 08:02 AM
The Screensavers has the Viewsonic, Axim and 1900 on and let me say the 1900 looked so small it wasn't even funny! I thought simething was wrong with it it looks very very petite and screen is knock your socks off beautiful!

Peter Foot
11-19-2002, 10:08 AM
This ram issue is really going to cause a lot of confusion and probably backfire on hp. Theyd be better off advertising it as a 46mb unit and not get peoples hopes up!

I'm sure theres better value to be had with an old 36/37/38 series, with this unit there are too many catches....

jizmo
11-19-2002, 01:05 PM
entropy,

under what url are those pictures located?

for the new iPAQ qualities, I've always preferred style over performance everywhere. I'd rather have a Porche that goes 80mph than a morris mini that reaches 120mph.

and with that extra battery feature, it's really the definite PDA for me. it's a device that will turn heads

/jizmo

ender
11-20-2002, 10:32 PM
From www.pocketpcpassion.com..

A few not so commonly known facts about the 1910 that may disuade you from a potential mistake...

2.5mm headphone jack... NOT the standard 3.5mm :(
Infrared is located on the side :(
USB Sync Port is flipped (no foldable keyboard) :(

Add these together with the crappy battery, no SDIO support, and funky memory sizing and it makes me think the Viewsonic and Dell's don't look so bad.

PS. Anybody know of a retail store where I can hold one of the Dell's?

kagayaki1
11-26-2002, 09:59 PM
The brighthand discussion forum with the pics comparing iPAQ 5450, 1910 and the Dell Axim X5 are here:

http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=d01cc30f4d465b76533a0cc61f9a18de&threadid=64963&highlight=hp+1910

Excellent pictures!

-Jason