View Full Version : Bluetooth/WLAN Message Client

Brad Adrian
11-17-2002, 09:20 PM
<a href="http://www.colligo.com/products/colligopersonal.asp">http://www.colligo.com/products/colligopersonal.asp</a><br /><br />Ever since I got my Bluetooth-enabled iPAQ last Winter I've wished for some kind of instant message client for quickly and easily "talking" with other people with Bluetooth devices nearby, especially when other types of network connectivity aren't available.<br /><br />Enter Colligo Personal Edition. <br /><br />"At the office, offsite or wherever you convene, Colligo Personal Edition lets you communicate and share information with anyone, anytime and virtually anywhere - without access to a server or the Internet. Colligo Personal Edition is software for real-time interactions that gives you the power and freedom to share information faster and more conveniently than dialing up, disk swapping, infrared or other traditional methods."<br /><br />• Exchange files and send messages<br />• No need for a corporate network or Internet connection <br />• Faster, easier, and more flexible than swapping disks, sending email, or using Infrared <br />• Share and communicate with up to 10 people<br /><br />The downside is that the Pocket PC version costs $19.95, so everybody you might want to communicate with needs to pony up for the software. I couldn't find a demo version available anywhere, but once I get the chance to try this out, I'll let you know how it works. Anybody out there tried this before?

toshtoshtosh
11-17-2002, 09:35 PM
Does not work with the e740 WLAN chipset.

That's all I got...

R K
11-17-2002, 10:34 PM
Look for ProximityMail. There's a free evaluation for download.

www.proximitymail.com

"ProximityMail(TM) turns PDAs into a localized community messaging network. ProximityMail is a collaborative communications application for Bluetooth PDAs that enhances the way localized communities of people network, communicate, and collaborate.

It’s built on a unique technology platform called BluePing Network(TM), which turns groups of Bluetooth PDAs into a spontaneous "random area network" completely free of additional infrastructure – no servers or base stations.

ProximityMail facilitates community building, professional networking, and relationship building wherever groups of people are gathered for tradeshows, conferences, ballgames, political events, etc. Users can create and subscribe to groups, broadcast or send private messages and thereby more easily initiate contacts with other members of the community. Unlike other point-to-point networking or messaging products, such as SMS, IM, or email, ProximityMail allows users to communicate spontaneously and anonymously to groups of users, without knowing specific user’s PDA id, phone number or email address.

ProximityMail is all about making connections, meeting new people, getting and sharing information. It’s fun, exciting, tribal, and safe. And it truly delivers on the promise of Bluetooth – untethered freedom, enhanced user experience, added value."

LongMountain
11-17-2002, 11:26 PM
What do you think of pocketBlueChat (freeware).

pocketBlueChat is a PocketPC 2002 application allowing you to chat using Bluetooth.

http://www.thegedanken.com/

Paragon
11-17-2002, 11:28 PM
Now, I think with apps such as these we are getting somewhere with Bluetooth on PDAs. This is a great way to communicate in close quarters. No need for expensive, and sometimes not so reliable WiFi hardware.

I think they should start making games with Bluetooth. I mentioned this before when Monopoly was released...Imagine playing a game like Monopoly with a few friends as you all sit back in nice comfortable chairs (or meeting chairs :-) ) and play it utilizing Bluetooth. :!:

Dave

smashcasi
11-18-2002, 12:39 AM
I have a question: If you're close enough to establish a Bluetooth partnership with someone else's PPC to chat, why wouldn't you just talk to them? I suppose you could quietly joke with one another during a presentation or something, but otherwise I don't see the point.

On the other hand, I can definitely see the use of being able to transfer files easily via BT - transferring via IR has always felt somewhat clunky to me.

mookie123
11-18-2002, 01:54 AM
talking to another person? that is so uncool, next thing you know you are asking for handshake, maybe even a hug..... :lol:

jet8810
11-18-2002, 02:10 AM
smashcasi, one word, classrooms! LOL. This is just the tool for that boring english class! :lol:

sponge
11-18-2002, 03:02 AM
Now, I think with apps such as these we are getting somewhere with Bluetooth on PDAs. This is a great way to communicate in close quarters. No need for expensive, and sometimes not so reliable WiFi hardware.

I think they should start making games with Bluetooth. I mentioned this before when Monopoly was released...Imagine playing a game like Monopoly with a few friends as you all sit back in nice comfortable chairs (or meeting chairs :-) ) and play it utilizing Bluetooth. :!:

Dave

Bluetooth can be tied to a COM port, so most multiplayer games that let you choose the COM port should work with BT, but in most cases it won't work. Though with games like Varium and MSR, which were built with multiplayer in mind, it looks like multiplayer is getting more popular.

SassKwatch
11-18-2002, 03:13 AM
I have a question: If you're close enough to establish a Bluetooth partnership with someone else's PPC to chat, why wouldn't you just talk to them?
That was exactly my initial reaction.

But then, it's a well known fact that I ain't got no 'cooth'. Hope the same is not true for you. :lol:

Paragon
11-18-2002, 03:42 AM
Bluetooth can be tied to a COM port, so most multiplayer games that let you choose the COM port should work with BT, but in most cases it won't work. Though with games like Varium and MSR, which were built with multiplayer in mind, it looks like multiplayer is getting more popular.

Thanks sponge! I didn't know that.

Dave

Warwick
11-18-2002, 07:30 AM
I was going to say, I would be into writing a bluetooth chat program but that free one looks like its already done.

We need more bluetooth support to get it moving along, Im writing a game that I hope to include a bluetooth deathmatch in, its a long way off yet though.

Has anyone got bluetooth network access running on a LAN yet? have put a lot of time into it but am yet to get to the shared drives. IPAQ 3870

Please let me know if you have any tricks in the area.

Cheers

Pony99CA
11-18-2002, 08:31 AM

What is unreliable about WiFi? My WiFi LAN has seemed to be completely reliable.

Also, I'd hardly call WiFi expensive if the LAN infrastructure is in place. Even if you have to set up your own LAN, a two-node system shouldn't cost much more than $300, including a router and two WiFi cards.

Yep, I'd love to see Snails support Bluetooth (not that I have anyone to play it with). (Snails 1.8 will support multiplayer over TCP/IP.)

Steve

Pony99CA
11-18-2002, 08:42 AM
One cool application of something like this would be a shared whiteboard. Instead of sketching something on a whiteboard, you'd sketch it on your Pocket PC and send it to everybody's Pocket PC where they could look at it. Nearsighted people like me would love this. :-)

In addition, you'd have a copy of any brainstorming done without someone having to copy it down and send it out later.

This presumes everyone has a PDA and the requisite software, of course.

Steve

sweetpete
11-18-2002, 08:55 AM
Brad,

Colligo developed the softwareincluded with the Palm BT SDIO card. I had a chance to try it and it worked pretty good. I can't say I see a lot of use for it, other than say IM during a meeting or class.

Pony ... I believe Colligo also has a whiteboard application. Check their website.

Coralie
11-18-2002, 09:42 AM
talking to another person? that is so uncool, next thing you know you are asking for handshake, maybe even a hug..... :lol:
what?! social interaction? .. & you call yourselves real gadget-geeks!?!

:rofl:

st63z
11-18-2002, 09:44 AM
I have a question: If you're close enough to establish a Bluetooth partnership with someone else's PPC to chat, why wouldn't you just talk to them?

8O I'm sorry, this post just made me laugh and laugh (and laugh), a hoot!

Strangely, it never occured to me as I was reading the front page announcement and thinking this was the best thing since sliced bread :)

Gen-M
11-18-2002, 07:49 PM
According to this Compaq site,
http://www.compaq.com/products/quickspecs/11427_div/11427_div.HTML

Colligo is on the CD that HP ships with the iPaq 5450 :D

Jonathon Watkins
11-18-2002, 10:15 PM
I tested Colligo as past of a rollout for a large consultancy. It was fun to play with and was usefull for file transfers and passing secret messages. You could just talk (how old fashioned!)- but where's the fun in that! :wink:

topps
11-19-2002, 04:43 AM
What do you think of pocketBlueChat (freeware).

pocketBlueChat is a PocketPC 2002 application allowing you to chat using Bluetooth.

http://www.thegedanken.com/

I just tried pocketBlueChat. It works as advertised. But the trouble is that you need to set up the serial connection via the BlueTooth Manager each time...even if one of the devices powered off.

This is not really surprising since it would be a lot more work to get that part of the connectivity built-in and this is a free app after all.

However, it does really limit the usefulness of the app. Has anybody come across a similar chat like app in which the state of the port configuration persists between power-off, and even better if it would wake the target device from sleep mode.

dt