View Full Version : The cheaper Dell: $100 bux is $100 bux

Kati Compton
11-15-2002, 10:37 PM
So the price difference between the two Dells is $100.

What will $100 get me in terms of good software/accessories/etc as a "startup package" for my very first Pocket PC? In other words, what do each of you recommend? $100 is the total limit, though. For simplicity, we won't include tax or shipping. :)

I'm also not including the big CF card I plan to get for holding mp3's, since I'm getting that no matter what (I'm also getting a NexIIe mp3 player to use when I don't want to put my PDA in danger). I'm not sure if I need an SD card at this point to hold data/programs. I really don't have all that many contacts, and am not sure how many programs I'll be installing or how much space they take up on the unit.

Should I get a case (keeping in mind I have a purse, and things attached to my belt tend to get in the way of my arms)? I don't think I need/want a keyboard, although I'll know better in a few months. ;) I'm probably not interested in wireless, as if I'm at home, I'd use the desktop or laptop for internet, and I don't like coffee, so probably wouldn't be visiting any Starbucks. ;) I don't have a phone yet with Bluetooth - that's not even something I'll be looking at until next year when I graduate, get a job, and move. Cell phones just aren't a high priority for me right now.

In terms of software, I prefer freeware (being on a grad student salary and all), but am willing to pay for programs if they are useful enough to me to justify the asking price. For example, it sounds like withMP3 is a good investment. I also prefer programs that let me try-before-I-by rather than paying up front for something I'm not sure about.

A power-point slide viewer would be nice to let me practice presentations in my hotel room before I give them, but I think the Dells actually come with a program from this... At least, I read that somewhere.

As for games... I like games. But I'm not so into the first-person shoot-em-ups like Doom/Quake/etc.

What do you guys think?

mookie123
11-16-2002, 12:47 AM
It's very hard to say at the moment since we dont' know what free softwares the Dell Axim will come with. if the $199 or $299 software package will be different at all or not.

But i would guess your main PDA functions are orgnizer, doc viewer, and entertainment. so here it is.

Probably you will get right away:
-a half decent case.
-screen protector, if things is going to get rough for the screen.
-CF card, get a couple of cheapo one. It's surprising how fast you fill up those thing with referance documents, MP3's, etc...

Secondary items:
-USB CF reader, they are cheap, and can transfer huge file better than going through PDA cradle. (~$20)
-Portable keyboard, if you decide to turn the PDA as super portable text editor. (it's surprising how I never take my laptop to library again for typing, I only bring my laptop if i need scanner or runing softwares) (~$99)
-if you decide to go "wireless" you might want to consider CF WiFi, since it will work on your laptop too. (~$99)

---------
-Presentation software. (there are several with various price and feature difference)
-photo viewer if your works involves pictures catalog
-money tracker of some sort
-if you are traveling/hiking alot, maybe some sort of map softwares.
-maybe Handbase. (not so much for the databse program itself, but the free databse collections can be usefull)

-For games, look under "games" for various listing
(most small games are free)
http://www.pocketgamer.org/homeindex.php

-if you are into retro arcade game from the highschool day, you might want to download Mame, Nintendo emulator etc. they are free. It's a great time sink for arcade type of game. freebies.

Kati Compton
11-16-2002, 03:29 AM
-USB CF reader, they are cheap, and can transfer huge file better than going through PDA cradle. (~$20)

I have a PCMCIA CF adapter which I can use to communicate with my laptop if I want big files. USB w/my desktop should be fine for the rest...

If you decide to go "wireless" you might want to consider CF WiFi, since it will work on your laptop too.

I already have PCMCIA wireless on the laptop. :)

-if you are traveling/hiking alot, maybe some sort of map softwares.
-maybe Handbase. (not so much for the databse program itself, but the free databse collections can be usefull)

These suggestions are very helpful, thanks!

-if you are into retro arcade game from the highschool day, you might want to download Mame, Nintendo emulator etc. they are free. It's a great time sink for arcade type of game. freebies.

I am, and I did already. :) My husband is *way* into emulators in general, so I knew those had to be on my "must download" list. I got the Z interpreter and a C64 emulator as well already. :)

Thanks!

ThomasC22
11-16-2002, 03:58 AM
Get the $299 unit, can't tell you why, NDAs suck!

Kati Compton
11-16-2002, 04:14 AM
Get the $299 unit, can't tell you why, NDAs suck!

But you can tell me on Monday, right? It's not like I'm ordering before then! ;)

Besides, if you know of a place where the info has leaked, you could just point me in that general direction and I could find the information without you telling me... :D

ThomasC22
11-16-2002, 04:19 AM
But you can tell me on Monday, right? It's not like I'm ordering before then! ;)

Besides, if you know of a place where the info has leaked, you could just point me in that general direction and I could find the information without you telling me... :D

Well, being that it has leaked I can say that the $299 unit has a cradle and a backup battery charger where as the $199 device doesn't even have a cradle.

I can also tell you that the $199 unit is actually $249 with a mail in rebate (at least for me, the 6 week wait wouldn't be worth the $50).

There's more, but as for Monday, by the time I would tell you, you'll probably already know :)

Kati Compton
11-16-2002, 04:22 AM

Well, being that it has leaked I can say that the $299 unit has a cradle and a backup battery charger where as the $199 device doesn't even have a cradle.

There's more, but as for Monday, by the time I would tell you, you'll probably already know :)

The cradle (so far) is the one real selling point that could have me waffling.

Re: Monday - I get up late, and I'd probably check here first. ;)

ThomasC22
11-16-2002, 04:27 AM
Well, and keep in mind, you won't see that $50 for a full 8 weeks or so after you order the device (e.g. they send you a rebate coupon with the device, you have to redeem it, send it back, and then it's 6 to 8 weeks before you receive the rebate check)

Plus, really, the more RAM the better!

Kati Compton
11-16-2002, 04:41 AM
Well, and keep in mind, you won't see that $50 for a full 8 weeks or so after you order the device (e.g. they send you a rebate coupon with the device, you have to redeem it, send it back, and then it's 6 to 8 weeks before you receive the rebate check)

Plus, really, the more RAM the better!

I remember back when I thought I was all cool for having 8MB RAM in my computer, when the rest of my friends only had 4MB... The joys of having lots of RAM are very fleeting, so I can see your point there.

We'll see. If I get a more expensive unit I'll feel obligated to hold onto it $50-$100 bucks longer. ;) So if $200 = 1 year, then I would have to keep from getting a new PocketPC for at least 1.25-1.5 years if I get the 400MHz version.

mookie123
11-16-2002, 06:40 AM
knowing Dell probably they build enough units so there won't be any shortage. waiting a couple of days won't cause weeks of second batch restocking. I think I would wait several days until somebody post a real life review just to make sure all glaring shortcoming are minors. This is afterall their very first PDA.

For eg. the mp3 might crackle or skip when played from CF, or some minor nuisance like jamming CF door etc.

Or probably the 300mHz performs so well that it even beat toshiba E740... so anything can happens.

I would opt for the $199 models myself. $100 is big price difference, and knowing how stiff competition will be, probably one can put the Axim on ebay for $50 bucks after 9 months and get another $199 machine which run at 400Mhz with even better of everything.

so $350 for 2 machines within 9 months, or getting a $300 machine now.

enemy2k2
11-16-2002, 08:13 PM
all I know is that for what you get my money will be going to the lower priced axim, I don't mind the wait for the rebate as long as it comes eventually. It's still money in my pocket, no matter hw long the wait. Cradle - I really don't want one any way. 300Mhz vs. 400Mhz right now it's not really important any way, and when PPC OS is optimized to take advantage I'll worry about it then how big the difference will be. I'm speculating that it will be only about 10%. I would prefer more RAM, but going for the lower priced unit gives me the option of getting an even larger storage card. Can't wait to finally get myself one of these.

ThomasC22
11-17-2002, 01:49 AM
all I know is that for what you get my money will be going to the lower priced axim, I don't mind the wait for the rebate as long as it comes eventually. It's still money in my pocket, no matter hw long the wait. Cradle - I really don't want one any way. 300Mhz vs. 400Mhz right now it's not really important any way, and when PPC OS is optimized to take advantage I'll worry about it then how big the difference will be. I'm speculating that it will be only about 10%. I would prefer more RAM, but going for the lower priced unit gives me the option of getting an even larger storage card. Can't wait to finally get myself one of these.

Well, a few things to consider...

First, there is more of a difference than you know so don't be sold just yet.

Second, if these benchmarks are any indication (http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/viewsonic_V35.htm) there might be more of a difference between the 300 and 400mhz models than we thought (at least eventually when a new OS rolls around)

But I can't say that either choice would be a bad one.

enemy2k2
11-17-2002, 03:13 AM
I would greatly appreciate any light you could shed on the differences before I order...PLEEEEEEEEEEEZE :!: :D E-mail me? I won't say nuffin' to anyone, or I will and just won't say how I know, that I'm 'just taking an educated guess' :lol: If not for me, then do it for Kati. Would you be able to live with yourself knowing that she may just end up stuck with something inferior when your intervention could have saved her from the pain and heartache associated with buyers remorse? :twisted:

Janak Parekh
11-17-2002, 04:36 AM
We'll see. If I get a more expensive unit I'll feel obligated to hold onto it $50-$100 bucks longer. ;) So if $200 = 1 year, then I would have to keep from getting a new PocketPC for at least 1.25-1.5 years if I get the 400MHz version.
Just wait for the reviews I'm sure will be pouring in here, and you'll probably have enough data to choose without worrying if you made the wrong choice. I'm sure with all our "agreement" we'll reach a consensus quickly :D

FWIW, it's not too hard to have a PPC last two years. I used my 3600 daily from June 2000 through February of 2002, when I got a 3870. Of course, the 3600 being a top-flight unit probably helped. Now, I'm drooling over the 5450, but my conscience is bugging me!

--bdj

Kati Compton
11-17-2002, 05:20 AM
FWIW, it's not too hard to have a PPC last two years. I used my 3600 daily from June 2000 through February of 2002, when I got a 3870. Of course, the 3600 being a top-flight unit probably helped. Now, I'm drooling over the 5450, but my conscience is bugging me!

--bdj

Hehehe - that's part of the thing - I want to be able to get some significant experience with the platform before I buy a more expensive unit, but I also want to get to my second PPC as quickly as possible. ;) We'll see what happens Monday when the secret that ThomasC22 has been hinting at is finally revealed.

Janak Parekh
11-17-2002, 06:14 AM
Hehehe - that's part of the thing - I want to be able to get some significant experience with the platform before I buy a more expensive unit, but I also want to get to my second PPC as quickly as possible. ;)
Beware, the Gadgeteer is awakening in you... it tends to be an expensive little inner voice...

Remember, once you get your unit, you'll want CF/SD memory cards and cases. Then headphones. Then a Wi-Fi card. Then a cable to connect your cell phone. The amount of stuff I've gone through since my 3650 is... well... non-cheap. ;)

The one saving grace of updating to a 5450 is that 99% of my 3870 stuff will work with it.

--bdj

ThomasC22
11-17-2002, 07:15 PM
Hehehe - that's part of the thing - I want to be able to get some significant experience with the platform before I buy a more expensive unit, but I also want to get to my second PPC as quickly as possible. ;) We'll see what happens Monday when the secret that ThomasC22 has been hinting at is finally revealed.

Actually, I was being stupid, it turns out my "secret" was already revealed:

http://computers.cnet.com/hardware/0-2709830-404-20636982.html?tag=prmo2

Specifically the ROM Size...ok, well, I guess that part I can't tell you yet.

But just assume that, if my Dell Rep. was on the up and up, what everyone assumed about the next upgrade is true.

enemy2k2
11-17-2002, 07:40 PM
I think it was Jason from this site who said that Microsoft had told him that the next PPC OS would fit in 24MB of ROM... :?

Kati Compton
11-17-2002, 08:02 PM
Of course, if Pocket PC 2003 isn't going to come out until 4Q 2003, I wouldn't mind getting the one that's non-upgradable and then upgrade by getting a new unit... But maybe I'll get the upgradeable one and give it to my husband when I get a new one. :)

Kati Compton
11-18-2002, 02:36 AM
So, ThomasC22 - any idea WHEN tomorrow people will be able to start ordering the Dells? ;)

enemy2k2
11-18-2002, 02:46 AM
Here's what I get when I go to the dell.com site and go under peripherals/handhelds/pocket pc

We're sorry that we could not find anything that matched your search for
Keyword(s): Manufacturer(s): All Manufacturers
Price Start: 0 Price End: 0 Category: Pocket PC Handhelds
Please check your spelling and/or modIfy the items below to search again.

looks like they're updating their catalog or something...

ThomasC22
11-18-2002, 04:26 AM
So, ThomasC22 - any idea WHEN tomorrow people will be able to start ordering the Dells? ;)

This I can say, it isn't like they're waiting for the launch before you can order it. You should be able to call at 8am cst and order it, they will begin shipping on the 25th.

mookie123
11-18-2002, 04:32 AM
I thought I put the Dell Axim page link here so we can check on it incessently around midnite. (as if they are going to post something hah)

http://www.dell.com/us/en/gen/topics/segtopic_axim.htm

ThomasC22
11-18-2002, 04:35 AM
I thought I put the Dell Axim page link here so we can check on it incessently around midnite. (as if they are going to post something hah)

http://www.dell.com/us/en/gen/topics/segtopic_axim.htm

the problem is, if you look at the URL, especially the "/topics/segtopic" part it makes me think that this page is part of some kind of Dell announcement service and that it won't turn into the actual order page.

mookie123
11-18-2002, 04:55 AM
oh well,

more links:

-This is Dell's PDA order page, if you click on the right column (pocket PC handhelds) it will say "no such thing exist"
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/category.asp?category_id=4327&customer_id=19

-PC magazine has a review on Dell. bla bla bla, nothing interesting except some note on what software the package will come with.
Dell adds in
-IA Style's IA Presenter (for viewing PowerPoint slides) and
-Resco's Picture Viewer for Pocket PC (for managing digital images).
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,700548,00.asp

Rirath
11-18-2002, 06:19 AM
Free software is always good news. The picture viewer looks incredible but I doubt I'll get much, if any, use from the powerpoint app. I can see how this would make the business buyers ecstatic though. $40 of free software, why not. Dang... I can't believe they're not shipping for another week! :cry: As for that review, I stopped trusting PC Mag long ago.

Dell: "5 by 3.3 by 0.8 inches (HWD), "which makes the "pocket" aspect a bit of a stretch." -- This guy needs baggy pants. :)

V35: "The stylus is collapsible, but with the slightest pressure on the screen it collapsed and wouldn't stay in its extended position." -- :lol:

Ipaq: "Built around the Intel 200-MHz PXA250 XScale processor, the h1910's raw horsepower trails that of the Dell and ViewSonic models. Its rated 4-hour battery life is also less than that of the others." -- 4 hours? 8O

This I can say, it isn't like they're waiting for the launch before you can order it. You should be able to call at 8am cst and order it

Anyone else waiting for 8am? Only about 7 hours and 14 minutes to go.

enemy2k2
11-18-2002, 08:12 AM
http://www.dell.com/us/en/dhs/products/series_pda_snp.htm

But son of a gun... check out the ship date...

Preliminary Ship Date5
12/5/2002
Need it sooner?

Still no sighting of it on the canadian site... :(

Kati Compton
11-18-2002, 08:29 AM
Preliminary Ship Date5
12/5/2002
Need it sooner?

Yes - I like the "Need it sooner?" button that won't get it to you any sooner. I like it... NOT.

mookie123
11-18-2002, 04:00 PM
gawd, are they still rounding up prison labor in China or what? hurry up already...

(ok, it's not really funny, but i need my dose of lame joke for the day)

ThomasC22
11-19-2002, 05:39 AM
Well, for what it is worth my Dell Rep still insists that:

(A) they will ship on the 25th

and

(B) that the next PocketPC OS will be 34megs.

Now, honestly, there were some things I was told that turned out to not be true (e.g. the 400mhz device was supposed to have a PowerPoint viewer and other software where as the 300mhz did not, now I think they both have it) so I don't know how accurate the above statements are. I guess I'll see on the 25th (have 5 ordered for testing, next day air)

Kati Compton
11-19-2002, 06:14 AM
Now, honestly, there were some things I was told that turned out to not be true (e.g. the 400mhz device was supposed to have a PowerPoint viewer and other software where as the 300mhz did not, now I think they both have it) so I don't know how accurate the above statements are. I guess I'll see on the 25th (have 5 ordered for testing, next day air)

Great - I'm relying on a quick analysis from you then. :) I haven't ordered yet - while I like the specs I want to find out if there's something terribly horrible with it (ie, screen fills with dust in 3 hours).

Not sure what I'll do if the Dell has problems, though, since I really want CF w/o sled. My second choice is probably the e740 if I can find it cheap, and that has its own share of problems....

mookie123
11-19-2002, 07:20 AM
there is always that unloved, born in the wrong time "Maestro". You gonna need some sort of battery extender tho' and Screen is reflective.

enemy2k2
11-19-2002, 07:25 AM
We're all counting on you ThomasC22 :D I'm still going to orfer the 300 Mhz model once they phone me tomorrow, but if you discover something bad then I shall find a way to weasel out of it :lol: Why would MS forsake all the users with 32MB ROM for just two more measely megs of code? :x I hope it's not as bad as it sounds, but I guess we'll all just have to wait and see :o

Kati Compton
11-19-2002, 07:27 AM
there is always that unloved, born in the wrong time "Maestro". You gonna need some sort of battery extender tho' and Screen is reflective.

True. If it were about 20% smaller I'd be all over it. :) It's one of my favorites from a visual design standpoint, though.

ThomasC22
11-19-2002, 07:29 AM
Great - I'm relying on a quick analysis from you then. :) I haven't ordered yet - while I like the specs I want to find out if there's something terribly horrible with it (ie, screen fills with dust in 3 hours).

Sad part is, Dell really still didn't make it on time (as far as I'm concerned anyway). There's no way I'll have enough time to test them fully enough to implement by the end of the year and if I'm not making the Tax deadline any then there isn't much point to rushing out and purchasing them any time in the next few months (I was going to go with an order of 40 to start).

btw - I'm not sure the e740 is worth it, the video performance is pretty aweful (provided the upgrade doesn't improve it, which I haven't tried)

I'm going to have to go with "Justifiably unloved", sorry Maestro owners... :twisted:

ThomasC22
11-19-2002, 07:31 AM
We're all counting on you ThomasC22 :D I'm still going to orfer the 300 Mhz model once they phone me tomorrow, but if you discover something bad then I shall find a way to weasel out of it :lol: Why would MS forsake all the users with 32MB ROM for just two more measely megs of code? :x I hope it's not as bad as it sounds, but I guess we'll all just have to wait and see :o

Well, again, I'm not sure how reliable the info my Dell Rep. is getting is. But at the same time there is also a lot of circumstantial evidence to back him up (e.g. all high end PPCs seem to be coming with 48 megs specifically).

Then again, they might make a partial upgrade available like they did with PPC2002!

Kati Compton
11-19-2002, 07:50 AM

Sad part is, Dell really still didn't make it on time (as far as I'm concerned anyway). There's no way I'll have enough time to test them fully enough to implement by the end of the year and if I'm not making the Tax deadline any then there isn't much point to rushing out and purchasing them any time in the next few months (I was going to go with an order of 40 to start).

Well, you'll just have to settle for being our hero, then. ;)

Rirath
11-19-2002, 08:13 AM
Agreed, thanks for the info. I sure hope you and Dell Rep are correct about the 25th. I can't wait to find out if that software really is included as well.

Kati Compton
11-19-2002, 05:47 PM
The ship date online now says the 6th instead of the 5th, and when I talked to Customer Service, they now say on or before the *13th*.

I'm hoping that it's because of all the people ordering them, not because the ship date is just getting pushed for everyone.

The pressure was too great - I succumbed.

I ordered the 400MHz w/cradle.

I got the 10% discount (!) by calling up Dell and talking to customer service. "At least two people I know online got 10% off coupons for the Axim. I bought a Dell desktop less than a year ago - why didn't I get the coupon??" They didn't give me a coupon code, but they just took 10% off. :D I'm thinking this promotion is supposed to be for people that own a Dell system already as a type of reward...

So final price: $314 - $50 rebate = $264. Oh, I hope there's nothing wrong with it. I really wanted to wait until ThomasC22 got his... But I got worried that if I did that, I wouldn't get mine until the middle of January!

Kati Compton
11-19-2002, 06:08 PM
Of course, now I'm wondering if I should have spent the extra $10 to get the travel cable too... <sigh>

Janak Parekh
11-19-2002, 06:27 PM
Of course, now I'm wondering if I should have spent the extra $10 to get the travel cable too... <sigh>
Don't worry, one can never win. :) And don't worry... if Thomas shocks us with a negative review, you'll still have time to cancel before it ships.

Besides, Dell tends to make stable, if unspectacular, equipment. I think this device will deliver exactly what it promises, no more, no less, ROM rumors notwithstanding.

--bdj

ThomasC22
11-20-2002, 07:01 PM
Although it has been stated elsewhere I thought I'd throw it into this thread as well...The Cnet/ZDNet video at Comdex confirms that the device should ship next week (e.g. 25th to 29th) so I think the web site might just be wrong!

Kati Compton
11-20-2002, 07:29 PM
Although it has been stated elsewhere I thought I'd throw it into this thread as well...The Cnet/ZDNet video at Comdex confirms that the device should ship next week (e.g. 25th to 29th) so I think the web site might just be wrong!

I hope so, although it was the Customer Service rep that told me the 13th (and it says the 13th on the "view order" page).

Let us know when yours show up...

HandheldJunkiesUnite
12-03-2002, 10:49 AM
As far as convenience goes,

I've never been to big a fan of cradles as I'm usually on the go, but if you keep residence more often then not - I think the $299 version is worth it. At anyrate, I think they're both good deals : ).

Happy Holidays,

HandheldJunkie