View Full Version : Is the 5400 series right for me?

ub2slw
11-14-2002, 07:55 PM
I'm currently in the market for a cell phone and pocket pc. The hp 5400 series would seem to fit my "need" to always have a cool, new, high-tech gadgets. I considered a 3975 and a cell phone, however decided to wait after hearing about the 5400 series.

My questions:
Am I wasting my money on the 5400?
Besides the T-Mobile and Audiovox PocketPC/Phone, are there any other models that offer an integrated phone AND would surpass the Ipaq 5400?

P.S I'm also not completely set in purchasing a pocket pc/phone….your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Janak Parekh
11-14-2002, 10:17 PM
Well, assuming you're not looking at the Palm units, the only other "smartphone combo" worth watching, IMHO, is the SonyEricsson P800. There's a lot of questions as to when it'll come out and how good it'll be, but it looks like it may be one of the smallest combo devices on the market.

Your other choice is to get a Bluetooth-capable phone and a Bluetooth-capable PPC. These combos do work pretty well, and there are certain advantages to having a segmented solution.

Since I have a T68 and a 3870, I think I'm going to get a 5450 and keep my T68 -- this way I can be connected wherever I go. 802.11b is a big plus for me, probably enough to justify not having a combo smartphone.

The ideal would be 802.11b + (GPRS or 1xRTT), but it looks like that's not happening anytime soon.

--bdj