View Full Version : $400 designer leather case?

mookie123
11-12-2002, 05:06 AM
Okay I think i know why they call it expensive French designer.

a $430 for iPAQ leather case?
it even sell in an upscale outlet in NYC.

http://www.mobigeeks.net/e/pages.php?page=PDA%5C%27cases+have+their+fashion+with+Gustto

I wonder if they make one version for Dell Axim? heh heh.....
this is insane.

NorthPole76
11-12-2002, 02:38 PM
well, it looks fine and stylish to me....still i wouldn't buy it a) for the price and b) i can't really imagine that my iPAQ is really save in there. doesn't really look like the ppc is securely fixed in there....

NorthPole

Dave Beauvais
11-12-2002, 05:20 PM
If the model in the photos comes with the case, then it might be worth that price. Otherwise, it's just an overpriced piece of leather.

--Dave
Woo-hoo! 100 posts ... and there was much rejoicing.

Rirath
11-12-2002, 05:27 PM
Well, if you blow the cash on this you probably didn't need that money anyway. Let the rich and stupid folk help the economy with insane purchases I guess. And the company spend some big bucks to make and promote it.

Janak Parekh
11-12-2002, 06:36 PM
Expensive gear is not a new concept. We have handbags that cost $1,000. www.vertu.com says it all (the prices on those primitive cell phones range around $6,000).

What is new is the commoditization of handhelds to the point where these products exist. In fact, the iPaq looks downright cheap in that case. Did you notice it's a B&W 3100 series? :D

--bdj

PP MAryl
11-13-2002, 12:04 AM
Okay I think i know why they call it expensive French designer.

a $430 for iPAQ leather case?
it even sell in an upscale outlet in NYC.

http://www.mobigeeks.net/e/pages.php?page=PDA%5C%27cases+have+their+fashion+with+Gustto

I wonder if they make one version for Dell Axim? heh heh.....
this is insane.I know a lot people prefer to buy a cheap piece of bull's leather to keep their device safe ... or to keep it in front of their desk ... but I think Agathe is making a great job. When I met her to the PPC Summit, at first, I did not understand why she came there. I am a Nite Ize user ... And after a chat, I think it is a great stuff to push our techy devices in this area ... to give them a bit more "quelque chose" (something else) and none to be only a piece of technology.

But I understand your point of view. It is not a case for everyone. Like this everyone could have what he wants, not only ugly or unsightly case. I have seen comment from a woman and she was expected this kind of case for long time, an other guy found this brilliant because his wife didn't find any case anough nice for her ...

I don't find Gustto's cases insane ...

PP MAryl
11-13-2002, 12:12 AM
Well, if you blow the cash on this you probably didn't need that money anyway. Let the rich and stupid folk help the economy with insane purchases I guess. And the company spend some big bucks to make and promote it.By the way, I did not get any bucks for this ... and any Gustto's case. In general, I buy my stuff ... like this I can criticize or to get some technical support.

Rirath
11-13-2002, 04:57 AM
... And after a chat, I think it is a great stuff to push our techy devices in this area ... to give them a bit more "quelque chose" (something else) and none to be only a piece of technology. ... I did not get any bucks for this ... and any Gustto's case. In general, I buy my stuff ... like this I can criticize or to get some technical support.

That's the thing though... most people here don't want to "push our techy devices" away in some little pouch. I cherish Pocket PC's because they're a piece of technology, not despite it. Oh, and I never said you or anyone else was paid.

Well Maryl, to each his/her own as I always like to say. Give me a Scott eVest any day.

mookie123
11-13-2002, 05:49 PM
It would be great if all these cases are doing something than just "sitting pretty and doing some protecting"
maybe it should have ultrathin battery insert within the leather too? that way the case is actually double as recharger, stylish at it too.

Something like that CF slot inside a leather case a year ago.

Janak Parekh
11-13-2002, 09:58 PM
Something like that CF slot inside a leather case a year ago.
You're talking about www.madebywhitney.com -- good stuff, but I think most people like to segment the notion of cases from their electronic devices, else you're "married" to the case.

Having said that, I currently love my iPaq CF+ setup, which has a simple flip cover integrated into the sleeve. Provides me with necessary screen protection but keeps the whole package still pocketable. OTOH, the flip cover is removable :)

--bdj