View Full Version : Microsoft and Samsung Announce Low-Cost Pocket PC Concept

Jason Dunn
11-11-2002, 06:19 PM
<a href="http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2002/Nov02/11-11SamsungDesignPR.asp">http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2002/Nov02/11-11SamsungDesignPR.asp</a><br /><br />Now here's something I didn't see coming - a low-cost greyscale device with Samsung as the ODM? So let's see - we have a decent Pocket PC from Dell for $199...how much cheaper can these get? Can we say $99 - watch out Zire! Heck, once you start getting into the sub-$100 price zone, Royal had better watch out too. I also wonder about the NAND Flash memory - unless I'm mistaken, this means that everything will reside in a Flash ROM much like the Casio BE-300. Speed might suffer slightly, but if they do what Casio did, the value here is that you can essentially build your own OS - you can un-install what you don't want. I have no confirmation of this, however, so don't get too excited. :wink: Some pictures of the new Samsung concept device to follow soon.<br /><br />"Microsoft Corp. and Samsung Semiconductor Inc., a leader in system-on-a-chip technology, today announced the availability of a new Windows® Powered Pocket PC concept design that dramatically lowers costs and reduces product development time for mobile device OEMs and original device manufacturers (ODMs). <br /><br />The new design incorporates a Samsung ARM9-based S3C2410 application processor and Microsoft's powerful Pocket PC software and a 3.5-inch QVGA grayscale or color display. The Samsung application processor utilizes NAND Flash memory and includes a host of peripherals. To enhance multimedia functionality, multimedia card, SD and SDIO expansion card capabilities are incorporated into the concept design. The design sets a new standard for ultrasmall handheld devices with its 4.1-by-2.8-inch size and only 2.9-ounce weight (grayscale version)." <!> <br /><br />"The power of the Microsoft® Pocket PC software coupled with the performance and reliability of Samsung's application processor represents a paradigm shift in mobile device concept designs," said Dr. Yun Tae Lee, vice president of Samsung Electronics' Mobile Solution Project. "This ultralow-cost, maximized design gives consumer electronics OEMs and ODMs the ability to rapidly bring to market high-value, low-cost mobile computing solutions."<br /><br />"Mobile device manufacturers can take advantage of fully optimized low-cost concept designs to bring their products to market quickly and at competitive price points," said Juha Christensen, corporate vice president for the Mobile Devices Division at Microsoft. "By collaborating with Samsung, we ensure a more rapid development process so that hardware manufacturers can include industry-leading multimedia and broader wireless functionality in computing devices such as Pocket PCs and smart phones."<br /><br />By working with Microsoft on the concept design, Samsung has dramatically reduced the complexity of the solution and lowered costs to levels that will enable OEMs and ODMs to deliver substantially improved product offerings to the high-value, low-price segment of the PDA market. Microsoft's powerful Pocket PC software and Samsung's application processor give the reference design NAND Flash capability, highly efficient multimedia and gaming functionality, new peripherals, and broader wireless support."

Janak Parekh
11-11-2002, 07:28 PM
Of course, this is still a "concept" design... no guarantees that it will be brought-to-market.

Interestingly, if MS chooses to pursue this, it will signal a shift in PPC strategy. Wasn't MS moving away from B&W devices for the PPC2002 reference platform?

--bdj

PPCRules
11-11-2002, 08:36 PM
Another in a series of recent bad days for PalmOS and Palm licensees.

Sony, can you see a trend here? Jump the sinking ship!

Pony99CA
11-12-2002, 10:22 AM
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/press/2002/Nov02/11-11SamsungDesignPR.asp

Now here's something I didn't see coming - a low-cost greyscale device with Samsung as the ODM? So let's see - we have a decent Pocket PC from Dell for $199...how much cheaper can these get? Can we say $99 - watch out Zire!
This $99 price that was mentioned was just your speculation, right, Jason? I didn't see any mention of prices in the press release (which makes sense, as it's a concept design for other manufacturers).

People in the "picture" thread almost seem to be taking the $99 price as gospel.

Steve