View Full Version : PC World takes a look at bargain PDAs

marlof
11-11-2002, 11:19 AM
http://www.pcworld.com/resource/printable/article/0,aid,106731,00.asp

PDA World gives a short overview of the recently released entry market PDAs such as the ViewSonic V35, the Dell Axim V5, the Palm Zire and the Royal Linea 16. The reviewed Pocket PCs do pretty well: "Clearly, would-be handheld users are gaining more choices--in operating systems, configurations, and price tags. [...] the ViewSonic V35 and either version of the Dell Axim V5 are exceptionally worthy models for any prospective Pocket PC owner, not just bargain-hunters." Source: Paul Britton.

Rirath
11-11-2002, 01:12 PM
I'm a bit surprised the reviewer was unwilling to call a winner between the V35 and Dell. I was curious. :)

larryl4
11-11-2002, 02:23 PM
Nobody has commented on the battery life of the V35. Obviously, with a much larger battery, the Dell units will be running longer. But what is the *true* running time of the slim Viesonic V35?

Anybody have a V35 yet that can comment?

Anybody know anything about the audio quality for MP3's or WMA's?

jeasher
11-11-2002, 02:59 PM
Can anybody explain to me what the benefits and practical reasons are for the removable battery? I understand the Dell PDA will have a second battery option, but does that mean I can't hot-swap a second battery with the V35? I am so torn between the Dell, Viewsonic, and the new iPaq H1900.

Thanks.

BruceG
11-11-2002, 03:34 PM
I had an experience where a removable battery would have been helpful. My HP Jornada 548 just up and died. Fortunately, a friend had given me his dead HP Jornada 548 (which had up and died) and its accessories (he had moved on to a Compaq Ipaq at the time). HP was willing to send me a refurbished Jornada for about $200, so I thought I would cannibalize the devices. I took the battery from my friend's Jornada and put it into my Jornada, and it came alive again. The Jornada subsequently died again a week later, not to be resurrected, so I am counting the days until the Dell PDA is available.

Xyress
11-11-2002, 04:49 PM
Does anyone know if the extra super-battery for the Dell will make the device bulkier? I know there was some initial speculation that it might make it bulkier based on the extra room in the cradle. But now I'm thinking that the extra space is simply for recharging the spare battery.

What about price for the extra long battery?

Cortex
11-11-2002, 05:18 PM
that was a pathetic article

its shameful to even mention the zire on the same page as a pocket pc :P

especially without stressing what you get for $100 more and what little you get for $99

i found it an odd read

Sslixtis
11-11-2002, 05:22 PM
XyressDoes anyone know if the extra super-battery for the Dell will make the device bulkier?

Kind of has to be bulkier really. If they could put more capacity in the same space they would. Now as to how much space it takes up in the cradle, or if it affects the ability to charge a second battery...I'll let you know when mine gets here :lol: On the HP Jornada the Extended Battery is about twice the size of the regular battery, but it is well worth it!

I finally get rid of the sleeve and that stupid extended battery warning, woohoo!!!! :lol:

Kati Compton
11-11-2002, 05:57 PM
its shameful to even mention the zire on the same page as a pocket pc :P

especially without stressing what you get for $100 more and what little you get for $99

Made sense to me - the article was describing the new low price point items for each platform. The author did end up not recommending the non-PocketPC devices, and complained they were low on features. The article also concludes that the PocketPC devices were good not just because of the low price, but because they are actually good devices.

Keep in mind that while most to all of the people here need more than what the $99 gets you, it's probably quite sufficient for a lot of people. Most noteably those to which technology is more a tool than a passion.

mookie123
11-11-2002, 06:22 PM
close but no cigar....

iPAQ-bulky.
E740- transreflective screen, more attractive design, fix driver
Viewsonic- replacable battery, CF peripheral somehow
Dell - Bulky

Why can't they just do it right?

my biggest gripe: button/D-pad placement. WHY on the bottom? would it not be better on the top right where your tumb is when holding it one hand?? They can even make it smaller D-pad since the tumb is much more precise on that position.

All button below is stupid IMO, try operating them two hand in smaller and smaller PDA is uncomfortable. Button should be on TOP of screen.

also, Mini USB2.0 please. or at least make the cradle plug universal.... Those are useless hunk of space that only being used while on cradle. (or sledge in iPAQ case)

woldn't it be awesome to have universal plug?

roberto_torres
11-11-2002, 06:50 PM
I consider it is totally unfair comparing these PPC to underpowered b/w organizers.

It would have been fair to compare them to the $250 Clie SJ30 (320x320 color transflective screen), that one would have been in the same category.

For me the best is the Viewsonic (if it really is .4 inch thin, in pictures it looks thicker).

Xyress
11-11-2002, 06:59 PM
Having owned an E-100 and currently an EM-500, the size of the Dell does not put me off. In fact, it looks more attractive to me each time I see it.

With regards to the D-pad on the top - think of the gamers out there. Personally, I think it would be great if they'd keep the D-pad where it is, but shift 2 buttons to the top so you could play it in landscape like a GBA.

Rob Alexander
11-12-2002, 03:07 AM
Can anybody explain to me what the benefits and practical reasons are for the removable battery? I understand the Dell PDA will have a second battery option, but does that mean I can't hot-swap a second battery with the V35? I am so torn between the Dell, Viewsonic, and the new iPaq H1900.

As with all things, it depends on your needs, but I can tell you why it's important to me. I travel on long flights (10+ hours) and a single charge just won't see me through a flight. With my old Palm-sized PC (Jornada 430), it was perfect. I had two batteries and the travel charger would charge the PsPC or just a battery. So I'd start a trip with both charged and end a flight with both low. But then I only had to charge one to be back in business and while at my destination, I always had one battery charging and the other in the PsPC.

My move to the iPaq was quite difficult in that I lost all that. I went through some of those devices that let you recharge your iPaq from a set of 4 AA batteries, but it wasn't nearly the same. When the expansion pack plus came out with replacable batteries, though, that was great and I'm pretty much back in business except that I can't charge a spare battery unless it's on the iPaq. So I'll consider replaceable batteries to be a plus when I buy my next PPC.

Anyway, I imagine there are lots of reasons why other people like replaceable batteries, but that's mine.