View Full Version : More XDA Reviews

Andy Sjostrom
11-09-2002, 10:40 AM
<a href="http://www.pdantic.com/reviews/PPCPEReview.htm">http://www.pdantic.com/reviews/PPCPEReview.htm</a><br /><br />Steve Sande, Webmaster at PDAntic.com, just published a review of the XDA / Pocket PC Phone. If you're in the market for one and haven't decided yet, I recommend reading his review. Steve ends his review with seven suggestions for improvements. I agree with all of them. (Yes, Andy too believes there's room for improvements in Microsoft products! :wink:)<br /><br />"1) This device is fast enough. Do not succumb to the temptation to put in a faster CPU if it jeopardizes battery life. <br />2) Make the battery packs swappable. <br />3) Do not sell a device with less than 64MB of RAM! <br />4) Make the ring sounds louder. Regardless of the sound setting I put on my Pocket PC Phone, it still doesn’t seem loud enough in many urban situations. <br />5) Get rid of the stereo headset/headphones. A Bluetooth headset would be awesome! <br />6) Be sure to have a lot of accessories available at launch, particularly a thumb keyboard.<br />7) Reduce the price; $549.99 is a little on the high side for a cell phone, even if it does include a PDA in the price! At least make it the same price as the Handspring Treo 300 ($499 with service activation)"

Mobile Bob
11-09-2002, 05:18 PM
Very good review. And I too agree with all his suggested improvements.

Is Steve aware that his $39.99/mo. Data Plan subscription with T-Mobile now provides him with 20MB/mo (if he calls them to claim it)?

Does anyone know when T-Mobile plans on offering a ROM upgrade for the XDA? I recall hearing they would provide one by late November 2002, which is only a few weeks away.

Thanks again Andy.

yawanag
11-09-2002, 09:36 PM
I agree with all that was said especially DO NOT Build one with less than 64MB RAM. All those great programs at Handango and PocketGear fills them up fast.

I had a horrible experience I'd like to pass on for those who are using the T-Mobile as their sole cell phone. After "Nice Start" destroyed mine, I had to wait a week without a phone. I had my old HP Jornada 548 to fall back on for my computer but I was without a phone for a week. Kind of scary and I was hoping I didn't have an emergency.

While I'm at this is it safe to ask if anyone had seen a simple Checkbook Register for the Pocket PC? I've been dying for one since I got my PPC. All I want is: DATE NUMBER DESCRIPTION AMOUNT and show the balance. Pocket Finance has one, but I'll be darn if I'll pay $39.95 for it when it looks like it was built using Pocket Ecel. THANKS.

anthonymoody
11-10-2002, 11:34 PM
I ordered my TMo recently and am eagerly awaiting it. Question:

What is "Nice Start" and how did it destroy your device?

Thanks,
TM

yawanag
11-11-2002, 04:34 AM
What is "Nice Start" and how did it destroy your device?

Thanks,
TM[/quote]

"Nice Start" can be found at http://www.trancreative.com. It is a neat Password program that has a clock, memory usage, etc. How did it destroy my unit? It kept reverting back to the original password screen. The second day I had it, I tried to enter my password and it froze. I did a soft reset and that was it. All I got after that were vertical lines. I have it replaced now (my T-Mobile, that is) Believe it or not, I got an email today saying that have updated it and taken care of the bugs, but after being without my T-Mobile for a week, I'm scared to death to try it again.