View Full Version : Getting an e740 for xmas - some SERIOUS newb questions :)

jongaynor
11-09-2002, 08:28 AM
Hey everyone - I just found out Im getting an e740 for xmas and Im really stoked about it. After spending a few days absorbing all the info I POSSIBLY could about it, Ive got a few questions for those of you already tooling around with it. ANy help is much appreciated. Hopefully Ill be able to contribute once I get mine up and running.

-Is the ROM flashable? (ie can I reinstall PPC2002? upgrade later?)
-Ive read about some serious speed issues vs. the Xscale Ipaq. Have these been fixed since the pre-production models?
-Is it still dropping significant #'s of frames on video playback?

Jason Dunn
11-09-2002, 09:56 PM
1) Yup, all Pocket PC 2002 devices have Flash ROM
2) Speed issues are pretty controversial. The biggest area of concern for people is the video playback - Xscale devices launch Contacts as quick as the older StrongARM devices.
3) This really depends on the application. Pocket TV has a special version of their player (not free) that is Xscale optimized. I hear PocketDivx is quite good on Xscale devices now.

jongaynor
11-09-2002, 11:44 PM
Thanks jason - Nice site youve got here. Looking forward to more actively joining this community after Xmas!

mashtim
11-10-2002, 12:57 AM
There have also been reports from people who have gotten their e740s back from the recall/upgrade that there is a noticeable speed increase. I haven't even sent mine in yet, so I can't confirm or deny. Ask me in two weeks or so.

Since your unit hasn't even been purchased yet, I guess you should pray to the Gods of Small Electronics that the e740 was a popular unit at that particular store and you've gotten one from the latest shipment. Otherwise, you'll have to wait for the flash update like the rest of us.

Also, the latest version of PocketTV has been reported as showing some increases in frame rates on the e740. You could spend the money for their Enterprise Edition, but will probably get decent frame rates from the free version.

Also, since the unit comes with PPC2K2 pre-installed, you will have no need to re-install it. In fact, your upgrade disc will be pretty much useless on the e740 (except for maybe some of the software extras) as those upgrades are usually brand-specific.

On the upside, you will lovethe form factor. Two mem slots and WiFi in a unit the same size (essentially) as a naked iPaq. If only they had added built-in bluetooth as well. Sigh. :wink:

jongaynor
11-10-2002, 08:34 AM
Since your unit hasn't even been purchased yet, I guess you should pray to the Gods of Small Electronics that the e740 was a popular unit at that particular store and you've gotten one from the latest shipment. Otherwise, you'll have to wait for the flash update like the rest of us.

Well I dont suppose there's a way to tell is there? My rents ordered form compuplus ($409 - $50 rebate = $369 ! ) - they guarantee the model is post-recall, but that seems to be it . . .

From their website:

Description:
Your Cost ONLY $369 After $50 Rebate! - Expires 12/05/02.
NEW STOCK FROM TOSHIBA - NOT FROM RECALLED SERIES!
NEW STOCK - NEVER BEEN RECALLED!
PA3170U-3P05 Brand new unit retail box;

Any way I could tell from the model number if this is the version with the new ROM?

BTW if anyone else wants to get in on that deal its still around . . .
http://www.compuplus.com/insidepage.php3?sid=1sappuuzudh790a&id=36&track=searchViewed (http://www.compuplus.com/insidepage.php3?sid=1sappuuzudh790a&id=36&track=searchViewed)

mashtim
11-11-2002, 10:15 PM
I don't think you can tell from the model number, but the serial number might be of some help. You might also get the latest version of Windows Media Player (8.5) installed. I'm not entirely sure how to tell if your unit is post-recall, but it seems that as long as your serial number is above the recall range, you should be fine. I could be wrong, though.

However, if they are going out of their way to tout the unit as post-recall, it's a good bet that it is.

Enjoy your new PPC! You'll love it!