View Full Version : CNET First Take on Dell Axim X5

Ed Hansberry
11-08-2002, 03:30 PM
<a href="http://computers.cnet.com/hardware/0-2709830-404-20636982.html?tag=ldgif">http://computers.cnet.com/hardware/0-2709830-404-20636982.html?tag=ldgif</a><br /><br />Don't worry that the price of the new Axim Pocket PCs will mean they skimp on features. "The Axims are indeed packed. The two PDAs differ in processor speed and storage capacity but are virtually identical in all other respects. As noted, they come in 400MHz and 300MHz varieties; the $349 high-end model has 48MB of ROM and 64MB of RAM, while the step-down $249 unit sports 32MB of both RAM and ROM. Again, Dell is offering a $50 rebate on both models at launch."<br /><br />This review gives a pretty good overview of what to expect from the Axim. The only thing I expect is huge sales figures. :wink: Source: <a href="http://sprinklerhead.com">Sprinklerhead.com</a>

sweetpete
11-08-2002, 03:38 PM
I wonder what the use is to have 48mb ROM if the OS only takes up less than 32?
Could it all be for a SafeStore in ROM or is Dell aware of a coming upgrade that will require more ROM space??

JornadaJ
11-08-2002, 03:56 PM
That thought has been brought up before...but why would only Dell have the extended ROM and not any of the other new ones?

I read on another posting that this model is actually geared towards corporate uses. Perhaps it's really a demand from corporate users? Extra space for enhanced security capabilities? Company-specific software?

Ed Hansberry
11-08-2002, 04:16 PM
That thought has been brought up before...but why would only Dell have the extended ROM and not any of the other new ones?
The iPAQ 3900 has a 48MB ROM.

JornadaJ
11-08-2002, 04:21 PM
Hmmmm...maybe the rumor does hold water, then....

WillyG
11-08-2002, 04:25 PM
Im still having a hard time trying to deside if i like the Axim or not. Im not thinking of the features (Dell has done its homework there), its the design.
First time i saw Palms "Oslo" (Now TungstenT) i thought it was downright ugly, now im not so sure anymore. But i dont want one... newbie OS. Been there done that, its way to limited for my "needs".
Back to Dell Axim, i dont think its ugly, but it aint "sexy" either (PDA's will never be sexy, but some come close :wink:) But as someone pointed out in another thread, we dont buy PDA's because they look nice, do we?

powder2000
11-08-2002, 04:34 PM
This review is flooded by idiot palm user comments, go and post your positive thoughts on ppc. There's nothing worse than reading over and over how there are so many third party app's for palm os. This may be true, but what app's really are these people using that ppc doesn't have? If all you want is an organizer than get a palm, but don't comment in forums about all the third party app's when all you really wanted was an organizer :roll: .

Paul
11-08-2002, 04:42 PM
For me, it's generally price, functionality then style.
The Audiovox Maestro with it's $299 price point was what switched me over from my Visor. The Axim seems to have great functionality. We'll see what accessories actually surface. Styling could've been better but without a doubt, it is a good deal.

JornadaJ
11-08-2002, 04:45 PM
I admit, it doesn't *look* very pretty, but who knows? It may fit and feel perfect. There's at least a nod to ergonomics with the tapered end. I'll reserve total judgement until I'm actually holding one.

peterawest
11-08-2002, 04:47 PM
This review is flooded by idiot palm user comments, go and post your positive thoughts on ppc.

I must say that I found it funny when I read under the User recommendations that 56% Recommend, 44% Don't recommend (from 53 users).

This device hasn't even hit the market, and already 44% of the 53 commentors are telling you not to buy.

Funny.

DSAINMON
11-08-2002, 04:58 PM
This device hasn't even hit the market, and already 44% of the 53 commentors are telling you not to buy.

They're just a bunch of Palm OS idiots who still believe that Pocket PCs are too complicated for most people.

"If it was Palm OS powered, then it might be practical since they is a lot more software available for the Palm OS! Pocket PC is cluttered, not as user friendly and still a little bit unstable at the moment. I think if Dell would have went with Palm OS 5, they could have delivered more multimedia rich solutions to the consumer without taking away from the vast amount flexibility that Palm like PDAs deliver (something Pocket PC lacks)!"

Ahhh, Ignorance strikes again!!

JornadaJ
11-08-2002, 05:00 PM

Very true. But I only read one from someone who actually *tested* the Axim. The rest seemed to be people who were just bellyaching about Dell in general. The one guy who did test it mentioned a freezing screen and easily-cracked case, though.

xbalance
11-08-2002, 05:32 PM
I have to admit, I read that one reply by the tester and his comments were enough to make me think twice. But thinking is not good for me. I am buying a Dell!

Seriously, every single PDA has a limitation and/or quality concern. It is an immature technology. Most notebook computers still have quality problems for Pete's sake.

For $300, I am taking the plunge.

I was surprised at the number of Dell bashers though. I thought Dell had a reputation for good quality and service.

sub_tex
11-08-2002, 06:13 PM
This review is flooded by idiot palm user comments, go and post your positive thoughts on ppc. .... If all you want is an organizer than get a palm, but don't comment in forums about all the third party app's when all you really wanted was an organizer :roll: .

Ok, i agree that the idiotic comments there need to stop, but this "Palms are organizers" stuff is dumb as well. Aside from wifi and bluetooth, I can do pretty much the same things on both (aside from the hardcore telnetting stuff).

The difference is that the PPC does a whole bunch of these (and more) easier since there's no file conversions, etc. We're not debating that PPC is more powerful, that's not a contest. But Palm isn't limited to addresses and datebook stuff either.

Palm may have limitations, yes. But just an organizer it is not.

Let's not give idiot posters any more fuel to post about how all PPC posts are uninformed too.

enemy2k2
11-08-2002, 06:17 PM
I'm seriously thinking that on the 18th I may just order one off their site, provided they offer the rebate for Canadians. I really really like the Viewsonic - but I don't think i can wait anymore. It's torture. Plus with the Dell I could use CF, double the storage for the same price as SD. It's getting tougher and tougher. It looks a heck of a lot tougher though than the Viewsonic, though that's about the best compliment looks-wise I can offer it. Hopefully we'll all get more info soon... :?

DSAINMON
11-08-2002, 06:42 PM
I am a bit concerned about the Dells being made by Wistron. They were the same company that made the Casio E-200 and I went through 3 of those with dead sidelights before I gave up (I used the money to buy a Toshiba Satellite 5105).

I'm just praying that when I get my Axim, I don't wake up one morining to find it blown to peices!

Xyress
11-08-2002, 07:09 PM
You know, each time I see a picture of the Dell Axim, it looks better and better to me. Comparing the specs to my current EM-500, it's almost the exact same size, but a little lighter. I don't have a problem with that - especially since it has dual slots.

As soon as I hear that the Axim can play games, I'm in.

One question though - amidst all of the talk about XScale not being any faster than StrongARM ... what about the current emulators like YAME or PocketNES? Do they run at least as fast as ... I dunno ... a 180Mhz EM-500 :D Has anyone had a chance to try apps like that out on an XScale machine?

vincentsiaw
11-08-2002, 07:11 PM
don't care about the design as long good screen, backlit for 3000 bucks, that is realy a good deal!

powder2000
11-08-2002, 07:20 PM
don't care about the design as long good screen, backlit for 3000 bucks, that is realy a good deal!

3000 bucks, that's cheap! :lol:

Sslixtis
11-08-2002, 07:28 PM
Like I said before, If I get it and don't like it, it becomes a Chirstmas present for someone :lol: But at $300 I can't pass it up!

As for all the negative recommendations and reviews by people who haven't even seen the thing... :silly: As for the Palmcentric reviews, they are so funny I can't even be bothered by them. PPC OS not as Media rich as Palm OS :lol: :lol: :lol:

xbalance
11-08-2002, 07:35 PM
[I am a bit concerned about the Dells being made by Wistron. They were the same company that made the Casio E-200 and I went through 3 of those with dead sidelights before I gave up]

I had 2 of the e-200s as well, same problem. OK, now I am a little concerned about quality of the new Dells.

cpoole
11-08-2002, 08:42 PM
I suppose that brick is a relative term. I am using my old IPaq 3670 with the CF expansion pack plus. It gives me CF storage, good battery life and a removeable battery. It is heavy and is about 1.25 inches thick.

I suppose ugly is a relative term as well. When I first got my IPaq, I thought it looked pretty cool. Now it is scratched up and worn and tired looking but what the heck, I keep the screen scratch free and it works for what I want.

I really don't care a lot about the thickness or style, what I would really like is a screen with great visability and colors, CF slot and good battery life. If I had not locked myself into the IPaq with a service contract I would be jumping at the Dell.

Malmer
11-08-2002, 08:48 PM
As soon as I hear that the Axim can play games, I'm in.

I know Argentum has so far worked on every single XScale(tm) device released, so you should atleast be able to play that ;-)

igreen
11-08-2002, 08:49 PM
The one user who claims he has had hands on experience says he has been testing it for 3 MONTHS. If the unit he had was 3 months old then yeah the case would be flimsy.....thats how molds are made. They start off thin and you shave off metal from the mold to make things thicker/sturdier. And Ed/Jason.....I imagine if you ask your Dell contacts....they'd say this guy is suspect. I.E. He hasn't touched one.

Fitch
11-08-2002, 08:57 PM
The 'user comments' are a lot more reasonable now-- I think they're being selectively chosen, too :)

Xyress
11-08-2002, 08:58 PM
I might have to try that :wink: ... but I'm most interested in emulators, so the D-pad and buttons not only have to work properly, but have to be responsive.

I initially had hopes that SNES, Genesis emulators would be near 100% speed with 400Mhz XScale, but so far, this doesn't look like the case. Perhaps if someone designed one to work directly with the XScale architecture?

Sslixtis
11-08-2002, 11:25 PM
Whew, what a Brick!

Axim X5 - 5" x 3.2" x 0.7" 6.9oz
iPaq 39xx - 5.3" x 3.3" x 0.6" 6.5oz (naked-no CF Slot)
HP Jornada 56x - 5.2" x 3.01" x .68" 6.1oz (without cover-no SD Slot)
Toshiba e740 - 4.9" x 3.1" x .6" 6.1oz
Audiovox Maestro - 4.92" x 3.05" x .69" 6.3oz

As far as I can tell the Viewsonic weighing in at 4.2oz makes all these look like "bricks". But of course it has no CF slot and only comes as 300Mhz Xscale, atleast it has a backlit Transflective screen :wink:

All that said, I'm getting a Dell :lol:

Wiggin
11-08-2002, 11:46 PM
After reading some of the comments in this thread and actually laughing out loud, I decided I would go read some of these CNET reviews for myself. Well, now having done that (with even more :lol: ), I decided to provide a mathematical summary of our esteemed panel of product testers and opinion providers.

Two broad categories of 73 opinions emerge – those coming from
Category 1 - I’ve actually USED one or HELD one in my hands – Total of 2 (3%)
Category 2 - I’ve never USED one or even HELD one – Total of 71 (97%)
(whoops, guess we forgot to mention that “using the product would be helpful" on the entry form! :silly: )

As for detailed categories, they can best be summed up as follows
Those with a Thumbs Up
1) The Specs are right for the price…finally! &lt;> 22 / 30% (hmmm, I like this group... they sound like they are actually using their grey matter! :wink: )
2) I just LIKE DELL damnit ... so, go buy one &lt;> 11 / 15%
3) Fabulous Price! – I’m buying one!...umm, what's a PPC?? &lt;> 6 / 8% (who says features are important??!! :crazyeyes: )
4) It's PPC or Die!! :rock on dude!: &lt;> 2 / 3%
5) These Reviews are ALL BOGUS – but I’ll vote yes anyway! &lt;> 2 / 3% (useful input n’est pas? :shocked!: )
6) It’s way too BULKY! but hey, it’s a great buy..ok, I’m getting one &lt;> 1
7) One person just felt the need to vote twice &lt;> 1 (probably from Miami)
8 ) Can you help me with a question about SD slots?? &lt;> 1 (this one probably thought he/she was at the PPCT site! :confused totally: )

Those with a Thumbs Down
9) I just HATE DELL damnit... they make junk &lt;> 10 / 14% (the scientific group)
10) Palm OS RULES !!! &lt;> 3 / 4% (these three are taking on the two PPC fanatics at dawn - with pistols! :2gunfire: )
11) It’s way too BIG, BULKY, and UGLY … doesn’t make a “Fashion Statement” &lt;> 8 / 11% (I agree, will probably clash with my plaid shirts! :rainbow1: )
12) It’s too early … NEVER buy version 1 of anything &lt;> 1 ( :sleeping: )
13) It’s really just an iPaq in disguise &lt;> 1 (he/she is just happy they escaped from the men in the white coats :silly: )
14) Go with Toshiba… just because! &lt;> 1 (very balanced review)
15) The specs are just too much “me too” &lt;> 1 (obviously missed Econ 101)
16) Get a Newton – the only TRUE pda &lt;> 1 (no comment necessary)

and my favorite, most meaningful, and unbiased review...
17) Now, if it only had a monitor, keyboard, and mouse, I'd have a viable Desktop replacement!! &lt;> 1 (I suggest we pause and pray this poor soul is not operating any large machinery :mrgreen: )

So there you have it, the true value of CNET reviews finally revealed!

bbarker
11-09-2002, 01:10 AM
From the CNET article:In our meeting with Dell, its reps told us that the company wanted to make the biggest splash possible with the Axims, so the units are designed to have everything that anyone could want in a handheld (within reason--no wet bar is included).
But apparently there's no Jornada-like flip-up screen cover. Can't at least one new model have one?

ThomasC22
11-09-2002, 03:44 AM
[I am a bit concerned about the Dells being made by Wistron. They were the same company that made the Casio E-200 and I went through 3 of those with dead sidelights before I gave up]

I had 2 of the e-200s as well, same problem. OK, now I am a little concerned about quality of the new Dells.

Keep in mind, HTC had tons of problems with the original iPaq's as well, But had almost no problems the second time around.

ThomasC22
11-09-2002, 03:47 AM
The one user who claims he has had hands on experience says he has been testing it for 3 MONTHS. If the unit he had was 3 months old then yeah the case would be flimsy.....thats how molds are made. They start off thin and you shave off metal from the mold to make things thicker/sturdier. And Ed/Jason.....I imagine if you ask your Dell contacts....they'd say this guy is suspect. I.E. He hasn't touched one.

Yup, the guy is full of it. I talked to my Dell Rep. (and I'm in the Preferred Accounts Division so my Dell Rep. tends to be slightly more competent than most) and he said that Dell has only tested the device internally and has used no independent testing firms.

Plus, if this guy was for real, he'd be risking his whole career to post those comments (e.g. even I'm under NDA until the 18th and I don't know any more than what was posted on Brighthand)

R K
11-09-2002, 06:40 AM
One question though - amidst all of the talk about XScale not being any faster than StrongARM ... what about the current emulators like YAME or PocketNES? Do they run at least as fast as ... I dunno ... a 180Mhz EM-500 :D Has anyone had a chance to try apps like that out on an XScale machine?

YAMECE on my iPAQ H3970 seems to run a bit faster than on my iPAQ H3870. This is a bit subjective though, but at least it runs as fast.

psyfactor
11-09-2002, 07:16 AM
This review is flooded by idiot palm user comments, .

It's also flooded of the stupid comments of Taiwanese OEM = bad quality. They have no idea who built PDA for HP/Toshiba/T-Mobile. :bad-words:

takotchi
11-09-2002, 09:35 PM
Actually, some of the comments that recommend against the Dell I can agree with, AT THIS TIME.

I am not sure who truly makes this thing; it isn't Dell, obviously. But I have a Dell Inspiron 5000e notebook computer, and it is made by Compal. It is also a peice of junk. There is HTC, which I think made the original iPAQ and maybe they still make it. They have improved and aren't really a problem, I suppose. Haven't kept up with them. Somebody on the c|net comments page said it's made by Winstron, who "makes the very poor quality Casio that sells for more $$$". I am not sure what Casio s/he is referring to, but I assume they mean the E-200, and in that case... I would not be surprised if the Axim was of inferior quality. I have read the complaints about the E-200.

I also notice a lot of people whining about no built in 802.11b (WiFi sounds so stupid), Bluetooth, cameras, whatever. THE DEVICE COSTS THREE HUNDRED BUCKS! You do NOT deserve to complain about those things when the device costs HALF of what others do. $350 is the retail price, and $500-$650 are the retail prices of others. Yes, you may be able to spend more and get something like an e740, but that's with rebates and other deals. The only thing I think is wrong is it having no SD I/O slot. I like having the 3.5" screens; when you get a bigger screen, you are not getting a bigger resolution, it just looks more stretched. I have 20/20 vision and like the crisper 3.5" screens (I am okay with my 3.8" EM-500, though... the screen at least)

The last thing is the so-called "ugliness". Well, I guess most people think it is ugly, but I think it is just fine, except for the obnoxious Dell logos plastered on the round pad and the raised, enormous one above the screen.

I am still hoping that the new iPAQ 1900 will have something like the Dell features, except it will be thin with no CompactFlash slot, one (preferably two) SD I/O slots, and the other specs exactly like the $300 model Axim X5.

Xyress
11-09-2002, 10:21 PM

YAMECE on my iPAQ H3970 seems to run a bit faster than on my iPAQ H3870. This is a bit subjective though, but at least it runs as fast.

Sounds good - and since it's pretty darn close to 100% on my EM-500 at 180Mhz, then it must run pretty smooth, eh? I just hope the buttons work and the build quality is sound (unlike the original iPAQs and E-200s).

DSAINMON
11-09-2002, 10:29 PM
The last thing is the so-called "ugliness". Well, I guess most people think it is ugly, but I think it is just fine, except for the obnoxious Dell logos plastered on the round pad and the raised, enormous one above the screen.

All Pocket PCs are beautiful in their own way

shawnc
11-09-2002, 10:41 PM
:D :D .

I am still hoping that the new iPAQ 1900 will have something like the Dell features, except it will be thin with no CompactFlash slot, one (preferably two) SD I/O slots, and the other specs exactly like the $300 model Axim X5.

I think you just described the Viewsonic.

takotchi
11-10-2002, 03:02 AM
I agree, every PocketPC is nice in it's own way. I like the Jornada 56x series the most, which is probably why I like the Dell's design. It's pretty similar.

Anyway, the Viewsonic is not quite what I want...

$300 Axim X5:

400MHz XScale
64MB RAM
48MB ROM (this is important; I predict it is going to be used for the next OS)

Viewsonic V35:

300MHz XScale (the XScale is slow enough as it is at 400MHz, without being the 300MHz or 200MHz version)
32MB RAM (or is it more?)
32MB ROM (I don't want to be stuck with less ROM than other PPCs if and when an upgrade ROM comes around)

So not quite what I want, so unless the iPAQ 1910 is even closer to what I want, or the Dell really sucks, like, say, DUST IN THE SCREEN... that's what I want.

shawnc
11-10-2002, 04:34 AM
Anyway, the Viewsonic is not quite what I want...

$300 Axim X5:

400MHz XScale
64MB RAM
48MB ROM (this is important; I predict it is going to be used for the next OS)

Viewsonic V35:

300MHz XScale (the XScale is slow enough as it is at 400MHz, without being the 300MHz or 200MHz version)
32MB RAM (or is it more?)
32MB ROM (I don't want to be stuck with less ROM than other PPCs if and when an upgrade ROM comes around)

So not quite what I want, so unless the iPAQ 1910 is even closer to what I want, or the Dell really sucks, like, say, DUST IN THE SCREEN... that's what I want.

It's a tough decision with all the options finally available for a reasonable price. I ordered the V35 but if it hasn't shipped by Nov-18, I may switch to the dell. By the way, the viewsonic has 64MB RAM.

takotchi
11-10-2002, 07:39 AM
Well, I'm not going to make any decisions until the iPAQ 1910's specifications are revealed, then I still have to wait for reviews of both units... though preferably I would want to see how the first people like it. My PDA can't have any dust under the screen, or any screen issues, that is certain.

ThomasC22
11-10-2002, 09:20 PM
Well, I'm not going to make any decisions until the iPAQ 1910's specifications are revealed, then I still have to wait for reviews of both units... though preferably I would want to see how the first people like it. My PDA can't have any dust under the screen, or any screen issues, that is certain.

Ahhh, a rare patient PocketPC fan... :)

Seriously, I doubt the 1900 series is going to be anything to write home about only because HP had a very twisted view of what a PocketPC was worth when they were designing it (e.g. the pricepoint for this was always $299 so if they thought the 3900 series was worth $800 how good could the 1900 be?)

I can't see it being better than the Viewsonic for size and screen quality

takotchi
11-10-2002, 10:22 PM
I agree, I'm not expecting too much of the 1910 either, but I was thinking more of Compaq's *last* attempt at a "bargain" device, which of course was the 3100 series. Bleah.

Which is why I am hoping and praying there aren't any major problems with the Axim.

By the way, does anybody know when the accessories for the Axim are supposed to be out? I haven't seen any pictures but I'm interested in the thumb keyboard... supposedly they will be offering both a folding and thumb keyboard for it (at launch?).

PPCRules
11-11-2002, 02:41 PM
Seriously, I doubt the 1900 series is going to be anything to write home about only because HP had a very twisted view of what a PocketPC was worth when they were designing it (e.g. the pricepoint for this was always $299 so if they thought the 3900 series was worth $800 how good could the 1900 be?)

I can't see it being better than the Viewsonic for size and screen quality
Exactly.

I wonder if that's why we don't hear anything detailed about it: they are still struggling to decide how they are going to market it in this new PPC landscape that they probably didn't even dream could exist when they made their design decisions.

PPCRules
11-11-2002, 02:51 PM
By the way, does anybody know when the accessories for the Axim are supposed to be out? I haven't seen any pictures but I'm interested in the thumb keyboard... supposedly they will be offering both a folding and thumb keyboard for it (at launch?).
"at launch" is extremely optomistic. I'd expect them to dribble out over the next year as the owner base grows. I've owned or seriously considered buying plenty new organizers/PDAs over the years which were launched with lists of planned accessories which never saw the light of day, so I wouldn't count on anything for sure. However, with Dell marketing model, all the profits from accessory sales comes right back to them. With their low margain on the original purchase, accessory sales might be a big part of this for them. Just don't expect anything for cheap (what do we pay for extra laptop batteries?).