View Full Version : bill gates showing off tablet pc

mscdex
11-08-2002, 07:14 AM
Tonight I happened to catch the second half of an interview charlie rose did with chief software architect Bill Gates. I'm afraid I missed the good stuff, but he did have a tablet pc laying on the table and was demonstrating it and discussing some of the technologies involved, etc. I couldn't see what tablet pc it was, but it looked nice, he also had it hooked up to a charger :lol: which means the battery life might not be that great? He went on to talk about other Microsoft stuff, including some details on Longhorn, Microsoft's new OS that is supposedly due out in 2-3 years he said. According to Bill, Longhorn is supposed to simplify things even more, so that you can find and copy files much easier, access things easier, etc. The interviewer asked Bill if that meant that Windows XP was going to be phased out, and Bill admitted that, that is what they had planned to do with the release of Longhorn. :roll: I'm doing just fine with win2k pro as it is.

But anyway, did anyone else happen to catch this interview? It was on around 12midnight-1am EST Thursday (into Friday).

Mike Temporale
11-08-2002, 02:54 PM
The interviewer asked Bill if that meant that Windows XP was going to be phased out, and Bill admitted that, that is what they had planned to do with the release of Longhorn. :roll: I'm doing just fine with win2k pro as it is.

Well, I didn't see the interview you're talking about, but I do understand them phasing out XP. Much like they are doing with NT 3.51, NT4, 95, 98, and ME.

I remember when I first heard that they planned to merge NT 4 with 95 and produce one product for both corporate and home consumer. I thought that it would never work. It was going to be called Windows 2000. But they didn't really get them merged by then. We know it as XP.

The next OS release is a major upgrade. I know that they are integrating .NET into the OS, and that they are doing some MAJOR changes to how the registry works.

XP is by far the best OS they have released to date. Very stable, powerful, yet still easy to use for the beginner. And Longhorn is looking to be even better.

guilmon
11-10-2002, 05:47 AM
If any of you have Techtv, you would know that tablet pc's are basically oversized laptops without keyboards. Who really is going to buy one for upwards from 1700 when a mid range laptop with far more functionallity is around, or less than, 1200 dollars. Tablet's will be a flop for their high prices, limited functionallity, and form factor, (who really wants to carry one around with them)?

Steven Cedrone
11-10-2002, 05:51 AM
If any of you have Techtv, you would know that tablet pc's are basically oversized laptops without keyboards. Who really is going to buy one for upwards from 1700 when a mid range laptop with far more functionallity is around, or less than, 1200 dollars. Tablet's will be a flop for their high prices, limited functionallity, and form factor, (who really wants to carry one around with them)?

You forgot the "all important" IMHO... 8O

Steve